cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 
AndyKyle
Contributor
Message 1 of 6

BT Infinity instillation

I have signed up for BT Infinity. I have received the letter today explaining what is going to happen but I have some questions so help welcomed !

1. My phone master socket is in the living room next to a window. There are two power sockets there but it isnt suitable for the hub and modem to be put there. My current hub is next to my PC in a study upstairs. can the BT Engineer route the line from the master socket to the study ? It is less than 30 metres and there are 4 power sockets there, the route will follow a wall apart from two points where there are doorways, is this a problem ? 

2. My existing set up sees one line out of the master socket and this then breaks off at an adaptor, one to the hub in my study and one to the phone in my living room. How will this work given the scenario described in 1 above ?

3.Lastly does the BT Vision + that I have now still wotk by the ethernet/ power adaptors ?

I hope you can help ! ๐Ÿ™‚

0 Ratings
5 REPLIES 5
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 6

Re: BT Infinity instillation

@AndyKyle wrote:

I have signed up for BT Infinity. I have received the letter today explaining what is going to happen but I have some questions so help welcomed !

1. My phone master socket is in the living room next to a window. There are two power sockets there but it isnt suitable for the hub and modem to be put there. My current hub is next to my PC in a study upstairs. can the BT Engineer route the line from the master socket to the study ? It is less than 30 metres and there are 4 power sockets there, the route will follow a wall apart from two points where there are doorways, is this a problem ? 

You would be better to keep the master socket where it is and have the Openreach modem installed beside it. The home hub can be placed in your study and connected to the modem by cable. He will route the cable around the doors. They won't lay cable under carpets.

2. My existing set up sees one line out of the master socket and this then breaks off at an adaptor, one to the hub in my study and one to the phone in my living room. How will this work given the scenario described in 1 above ?

As above. best to keep master where it is and everything else will stay the same.

3.Lastly does the BT Vision + that I have now still wotk by the ethernet/ power adaptors ?

It will work with powerline adaptors.

I hope you can help ! ๐Ÿ™‚

0 Ratings
Highlighted
AndyKyle
Contributor
Message 3 of 6

Mmmm - Will there be any chance that the master socket could be moved - it really is in the most unsuitable place ?

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 6

If you want to guarantee that it is moved you would have to pay for it. I think it would be about ยฃ130.

If you are lucky and get a BT engineer for the install he/she may move it to where you want without charge. It very much depends on the individual engineer. If he does make sure that any phone extensions you have are connected and working before he leaves. Sometimes they get disconnected during the move of the master socket.

If you get a contractor for the install the chances of getting it moved are very slim. They are paid per job so they tend not to do any more work than they need to.

0 Ratings
SHOLTIE
Contributor
Message 5 of 6

I had my master socket moved from downstairs to upstairs where I have my study for free, but I may of been lucky as the engineer was extremely heldful and my phone line comes in from a telephone pole and the line was right outside my study window, which made it quite easy to do. Even so the engineer siad he would of moved the master socket to wherever I wanted it.

0 Ratings
Deathtrap3000
Recognised Expert
Message 6 of 6

Vision still works fine using the powerline adapters, but they now want it to be wired into the hub because of the multicast channels.

0 Ratings