cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Carniphage
Message 101 of 712

Re: BT Infinity issues for the last few days

Something isn't right.  I have had no problems with my connection for years. And suddenly this.

It's like a DNS fault. The upload and download speeds are fine. But each new connection seems to struggle in resolving addresses.  So it times out or stalls. It's intermittent. Some look ups work first time. Some take minutes.

But regular DNS faults are usually resoved by switching to a third party DNS server.  But  in my case, switching to Google's had no effect.  I wonder if BT are intercepting the DNS lookups as part of some coalition-led internet security protocol? Perhaps they want to stop us accessing underage terrorists on the Pirate Bay?

Virgin's DNS has just gone down too.

My Mac's logs are filled with this...

11/12/2014 17:30:46.465 discoveryd[59]: Basic DNSResolver UDNSServer::ProcessEvent unknown event type: 7!
11/12/2014 17:30:46.465 discoveryd[59]: Basic DNSResolver UDNSServer::ProcessEvent unknown event type: 7!
11/12/2014 17:31:46.462 discoveryd[59]: Basic DNSResolver UDNSServer::ProcessEvent unknown event type: 7!
11/12/2014 17:31:46.463 discoveryd[59]: Basic DNSResolver UDNSServer::ProcessEvent unknown event type: 7!
11/12/2014 17:31:46.463 discoveryd[59]: Basic DNSResolver UDNSServer::ProcessEvent unknown event type: 7!

0 Ratings
ratty9000
Contributor
Message 102 of 712

I don't believe it's DNS related. I've tried with BT DNS (as DHCP'd to the HH5) and Google's. Same behaviour. Also, domains already in local DNS resolver cache still fail on later connection attempts.

It's something bad in the guts of BT's network.

0 Ratings
mysterio75
Contributor
Message 103 of 712

Agreed.

*** I HAVE JUST INFORMED THE BBC ABOUT THIS ISSUE AND ASKED THEM TO RUN A STORY AND ASK BT FOR A COMMENT ***

Let's hope we see some action now.
0 Ratings
mysterio75
Contributor
Message 104 of 712

I think you may be onto something with regards piratebay etc. see my posts...
0 Ratings
Andyrat
Beginner
Message 105 of 712

Just spent a thrilling 40 minutes on with the offshore call centre. Guess what? Despises the fact of 100 plus postings in less than 4 days and us all having the same symptoms BT doesn't have a problem.

All I get is we don't guarantee an upload speed. So what's changed I ask, it's been rock solid for more than a year and now I cannot do what I did last Thursday, sorry but we don't offer a minimum upload speed, but what's changed since last week I ask, it must be local traffic! So I've gone from nearly 9mbps upload last week and on and off now to 0.8mbps now and there isn't an issue.

Needless to say I'm less than impressed. After pushing they are sending me a new router, won't fix it but they threw me a bone I guess.

Mods, you really need to be all over this. It's just not feasible to have reports from most corners of the country reporting a problem, and supplying data!, for your first and second line support people to say there isn't a problem on the BT side. Or it's a high traffic time of day.

Consider my bill unpaid till this gets sorted. Listen to your customers, you have a fault somewhere, if you are being DDOS'd just come clean, it's an explanation at least.
0 Ratings
Highlighted
GrahamWardle91
Beginner
Message 106 of 712

'Intermittent' is certainly the operative word here. Anything that requires a steady connection for any length of time is unusable. I'm still unable to use PSN or Xbox LIVE (day 3) whilst my friends in shared housing are on 99p Plusnet connections having the time of their lives. I'm gonna assume that my NAT type is not 'failed' or 'strict', it's just the result of the connection, or lack thereof(?). Either that or there are some newly-implemented, strict regulations which are interfering with online gaming, among other things.

Thanks mysterio for (hopefully) making the issue wider known.

0 Ratings
mysterio75
Contributor
Message 107 of 712

No worries Graham.

I can't begin to tell you the fury I feel when they say "there are no problems at the moment" why not just tell the effing truth!
0 Ratings
ratty9000
Contributor
Message 108 of 712

The problem is that that front line support people go through the standard scripts. Do this, do that, reboot the other. They'll focus on the local loop and CPE, not approach things holistically.

0 Ratings
mysterio75
Contributor
Message 109 of 712

Yup, that's right. However, they should have been told about these problems and not been treated like mushrooms. Much like us.
0 Ratings
ratty9000
Contributor
Message 110 of 712

Mushrooms maybe, but it's also like peeling an onion.

Slightly off topic, but 8 years ago I hit a badly stuck IP Profile. Could I get Support to acknowledge it? It took me an hour of shouting to get past 2 layers of call handlers until I found someone who actually understood what 'IP Profile' meant. And all I was doing was quoting their own test website back at them. The moment I got to the right person, bingo, they were on the case.

0 Ratings