cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Jasper33
Message 1 of 18

BT Infinity......mugging their customers!!

I upgraded to Infinity on BT's promise of much faster internet connection, they didn't tell me that I would only achieve this if connected by ethernet cable. Had I known this I'd have never signed up....most of the nation use a wireless connection in their homes nowadays. BT quick to get me to increase my subscription with false promises. If they can't give me the speed they promise then they should reduce my bill to compensate for slow speed I'm getting which is no different than before Infinity.......and they want to charge me £130 for an engineer to come and check my installation.....more scare tactics to put off people pursuing their complaint......it doesn't need checking I know what the problem is but they ignore it......rip off merchants!!

0 Ratings
17 REPLIES 17
Distinguished Guru
Message 2 of 18

Re: BT Infinity......mugging their customers!!

The Homehub is a 300Mbps device so you can get full speed over wireless as long as there's not much interference.
_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _
If you found this post helpful, please click on the star on the left
If not, I'll try again 🙂
0 Ratings
paradox
Aspiring Expert
Message 3 of 18

@ray_dorset wrote:
The Homehub is a 300Mbps device so you can get full speed over wireless as long as there's not much interference.

Well first lets get the misleading elephant out of the room.  In the real world there is interference and in the real world you will be lucky to see 300Mbps on any single or even dual band router. That figure also means combined up/down not just one way. Around 200Mbps ONE WAY is about the best you will see and thats rare on b/g/n rated stuff (some 900Mbps will do it) some ac rated gear even stuggles to get that on the down.

I do not agree with the OPs statement about wireless though, most that do not mind a hit in performance and latency times may well use it, those that want to use there connection to its full potential will avoid it where possible.

The only device in my house i use wirelessly is my mobile phone, i could not live with my main computer being wireless even right next to the router and the horrid increase in latency and decrease in transfer speeds over wired.

It is ultimately the devils invention that promises so much but so often fails to deliver over a centurys old thing called "a wire".

It is also not the fault of BT as the OP says either, which ever ISP they went to their wireless performance wouldnt be much different, if any.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Message 4 of 18

I'm not sure how quoting the specs of the device is misleading anyone? It is a 300Mbps device and as such, 80/20 is not going to be a problem.

_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _
If you found this post helpful, please click on the star on the left
If not, I'll try again 🙂
0 Ratings
paradox
Aspiring Expert
Message 5 of 18

300Mbps assumes perfect broadcast and reception, he will not get that ever assuming he lives in a house with walls just for starters.

What a device is capable of sending and what you actually are capable of receiving the other end are very different figures.

The other end he may even have only a 54Mbps cable device receiving so the 300Mbps figure would become totally irrelevant and he would not get his 80Mbps even if the internet connection is capable.

Id agree his title and blaming BT is wrong though. Wireless never has and never will be perfect and if a person wants performance wired is the way to test things.

0 Ratings
A1944
Expert
Message 6 of 18

@Jasper33 wrote:

I upgraded to Infinity on BT's promise of much faster internet connection, they didn't tell me that I would only achieve this if connected by ethernet cable.

I am using Infinity Option 1 (40 Mbps max) via WiFi and I get a consistent 37Mbps about 15 feet from the Home Hub, so an ethernet cable is not essential.  I do have other routers all around me and just make sure that mine is not on the same channel as the others.

0 Ratings
clairelouise2
Aspiring Expert
Message 7 of 18

I can get 40mb wirelessly - but 60+ if I plug in the ethernet cable.

I'm considering getting my master socket moved so that it is more convenient for me to be wired on my laptop - the router is in the next room to where I usually use it, and everything is plugged in so a pain to keep moving it about.  I didn't realise I would not get the full speed over wireless when I got infinity, but it's still such a vast improvement over the flakey 1mb connection I had before that I don't really care all that much.

0 Ratings
hagbard
Beginner
Message 8 of 18

have you thought about using powerline adapters instead of wireless , they plug into electic socket and provide a lan port so you only have a cable from the adapter to the machine and don't have to run long cables around the house

0 Ratings
Jasper33
Message 9 of 18

Id agree his title and blaming BT is wrong though. Wireless never has and never will be perfect and if a person wants performance wired is the way to test things.

....pity BT don't tell you that in the first place.......or at least make it clear to customers.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
biffo1963
Aspiring Expert
Message 10 of 18

I'm with Clairelouise2 here -  I get 50 Mb wirelessly on my desktop computer and around 45 on my laptop. Considering my profile is only around 55 I consider this more than acceptable - especially as my previous "broadband" line ran at a dizzying 1Mb !

Before anyone says "how the..... ?" I should point out the my desktop is in a room immediately ABOVE the location of the router, so the signal has only a ceiling and floorboards to get through rather than a wall !

0 Ratings