Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
janand1
Beginner
Message 1 of 9

BT Infinity - my pc denies knowledge!

Go to solution

I've been running speed tests since last Thursday and I get the same message -: 'You do not appear to have BT Infinity connected to your home hub'.

I'm getting the correct speed for Infinity so I'm not sure why this message appears.

My nephew connected another pc using my wireless settings on Thursday and I've had this problem ever since.

Any thoughts on this would be most welcome.

Thanks,

Jan

Tags (1)
0 Ratings
8 REPLIES 8
ptan
Aspiring Expert
Message 2 of 9

Re: BT Infinity - my pc denies knowledge!

Go to solution

Hi

Do you have all blue lights on the home hub and which speed test are you running? (Namesco or the like)

ptan

0 Ratings
janand1
Beginner
Message 3 of 9

Go to solution

Yes, the hub is showing one, long blue light.

I ran the speed test available on the BT site where it says if you have Infinity skip straight to test.

Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 9

Go to solution

Do you have BTDesktop Help installed? If you do uninstall it, it is a piece of junk and can cause more problems than it solves. It is not needed on your computer.

Try this speed checker, once you have run it go on and run the diagnostic checker. This will show your speeds and IP profile.

http://speedtest.btwholesale.com/

0 Ratings
janand1
Beginner
Message 5 of 9

Go to solution
I don't have a spare ethernet cable so I couldn't comply with all conditions requested by your link. I tried it via my wireless connection and it said there was no fibre optic bb running through my hub. I'm getting fibe optic speed though so I'm still at a loss to know what's happening.
0 Ratings
ptan
Aspiring Expert
Message 6 of 9

Go to solution

Hi Jan

Are you able to use your internet connection for other web sites, services etc? Is it just the "speed test" that is reporting that infinity is not connected?

We're still not sure which speed test you are using.

ptan

0 Ratings
Highlighted
biffo1963
Aspiring Expert
Message 7 of 9

Go to solution

If you have the same BT Infinity as most of us here, you don't have fibre running through your hub - the fibre only runs as far as the green box up the road, the rest is done via normal wiring.    It's only if you have the FTTP  (Fibre To The Premises) service that the fibre actually comes as far as your house. While this is available in a few select areas most Infinity connections are FTTC (Fibre To The Cabinet.)

If you actually have FTTP i.e. speeds up to 160Mb then my apologies for trying to teach my grandmother to suck eggs. If not then I wonder - are you trying to run an FTTP-only speedtest ??  You don't actually say which speedtest site you are using 

0 Ratings
janand1
Beginner
Message 8 of 9

Go to solution

I'm using this one that you supply on BT Desktop Help:

Do you have 'Fibre to the Home' Infinity broadband? Go straight to the download speed test.

It comes back with the message that says it appears I don't have 'Fibre to the Home' so I do the alternative test using my phone number. I am one step up from the Amish people on pc technology so everything is confusing to me. 

I think I understand what you're saying and consequently what's happening to me is the norm. I'm only using the regular BT Infinity product - the cabinet is so far away from my house I get approx. 22mgps and 2.7 which is conclusive proof that I'm connected properly because my normal wi-fi speed was 1.69 and 0.37.

I think you've explained what's caused my confusion so thanks for that.

Do you have any idea why my Sky+HD box is picking up absolutely no signal from my router? It's been like that since day one. It picked up the signal when I had my previous snail pace wi-fi speeds so i assumed with Infinity it would be an all singing, all dancing Sky connection - unfortunately it's zilch!

Thanks,

Jan

0 Ratings
Sage
Sage
Message 9 of 9

Go to solution

As this is a customer to customer support forum we don't supply anything.

You do not have Fibre to the home (FTTH) you do have Fibre to the cabinet (FTTC).

I would advise you to uninstall desktop help as it is nothing more than bloatware and serves no purpose.

Speed tests should be run from here, select further diagnostics after the first test has finished and post the results back including IP profiles.

0 Ratings