cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
sean81
Beginner
Message 1 of 15

BT Infinity not getting speeds advertised

Hello from a newbie and associate member of the trchnophobes club.

Dont want to waffle on but will give as much info as I can in return for a possible resoloution or advice. To start for many years we were in the 4mb club re achievable speed with our broadband as we lived right at the end of the exchange and living semi rurally came to accept that this would always be. To my complete surprise in early October I was somewhat shocked and surprised to be informed that superfast broadband was now available to us. Like an exited kid on Christmas morning I rang BT to be informed that this was indeed the case and was given a list of packages I could subscribe to and from memory I chose the up to 24mbs pachage BUT WAIT! said the salesman on the end of the line you can go faster up to 50mbs wow I exclaimed 50mbs? It would be akin to driving a trabant and trading it in for a Porsche. What could I do but say yes where do I sign ? Said salesman completed his script and we eagerly awaited our switch on date. The big day came and we were switched to superfast broadband my son ran a broadband speed check and oh dear yes we had come out of the dark ages and it was wonderful no more 4mb but a fantastic 17mbs well it seemed fantastic. The obligatary settling in period came and went but still 17mbs I rang and said wheres my up to 50mbs not expecting the full but at least in the high thirties. Engineer was dispatched said fault which he rectified still 17mbs but wait to settle in which came and went. Still no change and second engineer who said nothing he could do. but would report we were still getting slow speeds. Now have I been sold a pup? really angry as it seems they got my money and are running am considering whether to reject it on grounds of mis selling  

0 Ratings
14 REPLIES 14
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 15

Re: BT Infinity not getting speeds advertised

Enter your phone number here to find out what speeds are available to you. Edit out your phone number before posting screenshot, also post the stats from your hub.

Up to 50Mbs can mean any speed between 0 and 50

0 Ratings
sean81
Beginner
Message 3 of 15

Ok thank you here goes had to get my grandson to do these so hope they oktempsnip.pngCapture2.JPG

0 Ratings
iniltous
Recognised Expert
Message 4 of 15

I think you have been mis led by the advertising authority's insistance that 'upto' speeds cannot be used in ISP adverts anymore and that the 'average' speed available to the majority of users' on a service have to be used , so it's true that a national average of all customers on 'Superfast 1' or whatever product you bought get 50Mb ( or whatever speed is advertised ) that doesn't mean you will get that....it's an average of the whole country on that product.....you should have also been told what your individual line will provide, and the DSL checker gives that as approximately 12-21 Mb for your line, so 17Mb is comfortably inside that range....

You were never going to get 50Mb, they probably never said you would , they said ( well the advert says) a typical SF1 customer on average gets 50Mb, the reality is some get better , some get worse ( in your case much worse) but averaged out , it's 50Mb...IMHO, they took a system where 'upto' speeds were said to confuse people, so replaced it with 'average' and that (it seems to me ) confuses people even more...these advertising rule applys to all ISP's not just BT 

To illustrate how ludicrous the new rules are, say you and I joined a 'new' ISP , we were the only two customers , you getting 17Mb , and myself getting 80Mb ( the FTTC cab is around 80m away) , that ISP would have to use 48.5Mb in their advert, way under what my neighbour's would get, and way over what your neighbour's would get...yet that is what they would have to advertise as its the 'average'

0 Ratings
Highlighted
sean81
Beginner
Message 5 of 15

Thanks for your reply I have spolen with BT today and after battling with them trying to sell me BT TV was told at the point of purchase only Superfast firbre plus (av speed 67mb £54.99) would have been available to me, and anything else ie superfast fibre essential(av speed 36mb £29.99) is only available to new customers. After checking they agreed that the max we can achieve is 21mb but that its not all about speed but the all round package i. e preferential treatment if things go wrong etc. I am at a loss as to what to do now it has left me somewhat bewildered 

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 15

unless you cannoy survive with internet connection for 3/4 days while you get openreach visit if required then I would move to the lower package and save money

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
sean81
Beginner
Message 7 of 15

Thanks for your reply I asked about moving to a lower package but was told I cannot as I have signed up to 18 month contract and lower packages are only available to new customers

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 8 of 15

try phoning options team  they are uk based  0800800030

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
iniltous
Recognised Expert
Message 9 of 15

It's not really clear what the issue now is, you presumably accept that 17Mb is what your line can deliver , irrespective of national average speeds, presumably you are some distance from the 'fibre' cabinet , it's distance that is the overriding factor in determining line speed, the further away, the slower the speed....

Obviously  17Mb is faster than the 4Mb you were getting on ADSL , and unless Virgin Media is available , then changing provider will not change the distance you are from the cabinet, and so speed would be broadly similar...so unless you want to go back to ADSL from VDSL/FTTC then apart from the (unrealistic) expectations of 50Mb speed what else is the issue ?

If you are on Superfast 2, rather than Superfast 1, then that may be a little pointless paying the extra cost as SF1 is 55Mb download , SF2 80Mb, as you get 17Mb, why pay for the higher ( unacheivable ) speed , unless upload is important .....Superfast Essential  must be a newish product ( upto 40Mb ?) I don't know if they would allow you to change to that , is there much difference in price/service ?

AFAIK , the SF+ products have extras such as if you lose landline service they send a MiFi type mobile hotspot to get you on line during the downtime of the landline , and some sort of type up with BT Mobile , only you will know if it's worth paying extra for these things, if not don't take the '+' package.

I notice you still quote the 'average' speeds of the products, why ?, it doesn't matter if the average is 67, or 36, you know your actual speed is 17Mb...so  (I would think) it's really a price thing, you may as well try and get the lowest 'speed' FTTC product available as that should be cheapest, or if 17Mb doesnt feel much quicker than 4Mb, ask to revert back to ADSL , (if they accept you were mis led by 'average' speed advertising) but if they say it was you who should have checked the documents they sent , and that they did give you a bespoke estimate of speed (17Mb) and that your line achieves that,  it may be a case of accepting it and either paying ETC to jump ship ( but you will still only get 17Mb from someone else ) or seeing out the term and seeing what's else is available at that time

0 Ratings
sean81
Beginner
Message 10 of 15

Thank you Sir,

Rang the number and spoke to someone who knew his onions he tested everything and informed that the av speed we are getting is 17mbs. He sais as a point of proceedure we have to have another engineer but is confident that things will not improve however once this engineer has been they can escalate a case to have my package downgraded as I will never achieve the av speeds that superfast fibre plus states of 67mbs

0 Ratings