Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
LastResort
Beginner
Message 1 of 7

BT Infinity - poor performance

Go to solution

I bought a BT Infinity package because I fancied a change from years of service from Sky in October.The package was 'up to 56mbs download'.

The Smart Hub 6 suffered all of the well-reported problems of flaky wifi connectivity (devices constantly dropping off the network) and general performance - I'd have to go back probably 10 years to witness a wireless router with such a limited range. I'm now using a HH5 and whilst the connectivity is better (far from what I was getting with Sky) I'm sat about 12 feet away from the router and next doors Bravia TV has a stronger signal - not to mention a few other routers in the area.

BT Sport didn't work with the supplied box and still doesn't, despite an engineer confirming that the 'environment' for it in terms of connectivity (homeplug) was fine... but I've completely given up on that.

I've spent hours on the webchat and telephone trying to sort my problems out... master socket... wireless signals suffer interference and isn't really our problem... etc. but service remains awful. The 'troubleshoot' widget doesn't work for me and never has, I have a closed ticket for that but can't access any of those tickets for details - same symptom, the browser circles but never resolves.

All this said, and frustrations vented, I suppose I have a fairly basic question. I have the HH5 connected but I have two Smart Hub 6 devices in their boxes. Has the firmware been updated for these yet and does it look like the well documented problems have been fixed? Also, is the fact that I'm using a HH5 the reason why speed tests on the only ethernet connected computer show 38mbs?

0 Ratings
6 REPLIES 6
Sage
Sage
Message 2 of 7

Re: BT Infinity - poor performance

Go to solution

Simple answer, get yourself a decent third party router.

Now to your speeds. The HH5 should give you what your line is capable of so the first thing we need is the connection stats from the router. Troubleshooting/Helpdesk lines 1-12.  Once we have them someone will help you further.

0 Ratings
LastResort
Beginner
Message 3 of 7

Go to solution

Thanks for the reply. Yes, I've been thinking about getting a decent router but my more attractive option at this stage is to either raise a complaint about the service and get out of the contract (not confusing BT's policies with the Sale of Goods and Services Act) or to just wait until October with a very oor service and chalk this down to experience.

Thanks for the info in the HH5 speed. Strangely enough I tried one of the Smart Hub 6 routers today and the ethernet speed was 49 mbs... but the wireless devices that I connected are already suffering frequent dropouts. I'll give it a while to see if the firmware gets updated on that (I think there was a release in December?).

I'm afraid I don't know what "Troubleshooting/Helpdesk lines 1-12" means.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 7

Go to solution

@LastResort wrote:

I'm afraid I don't know what "Troubleshooting/Helpdesk lines 1-12" means.

Its accessed via the home hub manager. Use this link Hub manager

Select troubleshooting then select helpdesk. Copy the results onto a forum post.

It would be helpful if someone with a home hub 5, could post the direct router address which displays that page.

0 Ratings
LastResort
Beginner
Message 5 of 7

Go to solution

Thanks Keith, I have one of the Smart Hub 6's plugged in now but I still couldn't see how to get to any troubleshooting through the hub webpage.. anyway.

All seems to be ok so far although the hub's wiifi range is still woeful - offering only a slightly better signal strength (at 12 feet away) than a tplink wall plug extender upstairs through a few walls.

I think the answer will be to get a decent router if I stick with BT. I don't understand why they're so bad but hey ho. I'll do some research on what's best but the £50 odd that BT charged for (delivery of) the Smart Hub is scandalous.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 7

Go to solution
LastResort
Beginner
Message 7 of 7

Go to solution

Thanks Keith, aplologies for being away for a while. That link confirmed to me that the firmware on the Smart Hub 6 has indeed been updated since I plugged it in last week (to Firmware version: SG4B10002244) and no devices have dropped out yet so I think I've answered my own question that it seems to have improved matters a lot.

Thanks for taking the time to respond and for your help.

Incidentally, a few days ago the firmware on the basic Smartview box was updated and whilst before I could watch BBC, Netflix etc. without any problems but BT Sport didn't work, everything is flaky now - even with the improved router performmance! Hey ho.

0 Ratings