Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 1 of 15

BT Infinity slowdown at peak times

Go to solution

Right, after trying to get help by reporting fault over the phone, one month and two engineer visits later, I see this isn't going anywhere Smiley Frustrated

First three months after joining BT my speeds have been rock solid at 50Mb download, that changed since January, and I'm still getting 50Mb for better part of the day, and between 2-5Mb during evernings.

Tried to explain how BT Wholesale speedtest is three hops away from me and yet I'm getting 2Mb download using it and asked to check SVLAN congestion number of times, but I didn't get any helpful response (but wasted 3h on the phone and BT's money on replacement router and two engineers visit).

I've seen some mods here being more knowledgable and helpful, would very appreciate if someone could rescue me from this hell.

Screen Shot 2018-02-13 at 18.22.50.png

0 Ratings
14 REPLIES 14
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 15

Re: BT Infinity slowdown at peak times

Go to solution

can you enter your phone number and post results  remember delete phone number but leave exchange and cab number

was btspeedtester run with wired conenction  

http://dslchecker.bt.com/adsl/adslchecker.welcome

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 3 of 15

Go to solution

Here it is, yes tested over the wire (initially I thought I'm generating some extra traffic, or wi-fi started going crazy, so disconnected all devices and started testing laptop over cable...)

Screen Shot 2018-02-13 at 18.39.16.png

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 15

Go to solution

I have asked mods to check for congestion  they will post here

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Message 5 of 15

Go to solution

Hi @rokos_basilisk,

I've had a look at the Wholesale reported and its not reporting an issue at READING CENTRAL. I'll need to do a bit more digging. Please can you send me in your details using the "Contact The Mods" link found in my profile?

Thanks

PaddyB

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Message 6 of 15

Go to solution

Hi @rokos_basilisk,

Thank you for sending in your details. I've ran a few checks on your line and it isn't picking up a capacity issue. I've had a discussion with BT Wholesale and they're going to move you over to another SVLAN to rule out a possible issue.

The change is due to happen tomorrow, please can you retest your connection over the weekend and let me know if you have seen an improvement?

Thanks

PaddyB

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 7 of 15

Go to solution

Thanks @PaddyB, will report back after weekend.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 8 of 15

Go to solution

Maybe it's better to wait at least whole weekend to confirm, but it's the first evening in 2018 when my connection is nice and fast again!

I see from router logs that something happened overnight:

01:21:52, 16 Feb. ppp1:Connection to the Internet has been terminated.(Reboot,Reconfiguration,forced termination)
01:21:43, 16 Feb. :Connection has been terminated: remote station is not answering to LCP Echo requests.
01:21:40, 16 Feb. :Connection to the Internet has been terminated.(Reboot,Reconfiguration,forced termination)
01:21:39, 16 Feb. ppp1:Connection to the Internet has been terminated.(Reboot,Reconfiguration,forced termination)

And since then connection speed was super solid:

Feb 16 00:15:01 GMT 2018 7.73 Mbit/s
Feb 16 02:15:01 GMT 2018 50.13 Mbit/s
Feb 16 04:15:01 GMT 2018 50.86 Mbit/s
Feb 16 06:15:01 GMT 2018 50.60 Mbit/s
Feb 16 08:15:02 GMT 2018 49.91 Mbit/s
Feb 16 10:15:01 GMT 2018 50.38 Mbit/s
Feb 16 12:15:01 GMT 2018 50.86 Mbit/s
Feb 16 14:15:01 GMT 2018 50.70 Mbit/s
Feb 16 16:15:01 GMT 2018 49.08 Mbit/s
Feb 16 18:15:01 GMT 2018 49.35 Mbit/s
Feb 16 20:15:01 GMT 2018 50.53 Mbit/s

For comparison, average for yesterday was just under 14Mbit/s...

I'm happy it's back to normal today, but a bit concerned that:

a) BT Helpline had no clue what's going on, sent me new router and arranged two engineers visit for no good reason. It's a month of my time wasted with no resolution.

b) On community forum help was super fast, but I understand that issue wasn't obvious. Is it something we can raise with BT Wholesale? If my SVLAN was changed and that alone fixed the slowness at peak then their monitoring is off and potentially more people are affected.

Finally, a bit off-topic: About Infinity customers speed boosts, I was told my Infinity speeds cannot be upgraded to 76Mb, because my line only supports 52Mb. Does it look correct? I'm literally stone throw away from the cabinet. Upload speed boost alone would be great deal for me as I backup lots of photos online.

Data rate:
10.00 Mbps / 55.00 Mbps

Maximum data rate:
29069 / 76368

Noise margin:
22.3 dB / 11.5 dB

Line attenuation:
15.4 dB
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 9 of 15

Go to solution

Your line would allow you to benefit from the speed boost if you qualified. Here is BT qualification. http://bt.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/56165/~/questions-about-the-bt-infinity-1-speed-upgra...

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 10 of 15

Go to solution

I do qualify, as my broadband was connected early September 2017 - I confirmed that with BT helpline who told me that my line just won't support faster speeds. Will mods also be able to help with that? Smiley Wink

0 Ratings