cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
KrycekUK
Beginner
Message 1 of 8

BT Infinity still not working after 13 days, phone line was down for 11

Where to begin? I have had a lovely working BT infinity for just over a year now and I am an electronics engineer and software developer so I'm extremely good with computers and technology.

On the 30th of April in the evening after returning from work I noticed my infinity wasn't working. It had been fine that morning before I went off to work. I picked up my landline phone to make a call after doing all the usual resetting of the modem and hub and noticed my landline was terribly noisy. Ah that will probably be why my broadband doesn't work I thought.

I phoned the report a fault number from my mobile at expense to me to explain a double fault and it was logged in the system, could take upto 3 days.

3 days came and went, fault report page wasn't updated, no contact from BT to my mobile number to keep me in the loop which they had clearly on my fault report page.

Numerous more phone calls were needed and each time I got a different response, it would be fixed in the next 24 to 48 hours, then it would be fixed in the next 5 hours, then I would have to wait till the 9th of May.

9th of May... A BT engineer called to the house and was caught red handed trying to post a sorry I missed you card through the door. He hadn't rung the door bell (there were 2 people in the house) and explained he had tried the two contact numbers he had but got no answer. I was at work at the time and didn't receive any calls at all I rushed home to meet him and made it within 15 minutes of being told he was at the house. Anyway he did some poking about and decided my phone line entering the building before the master socket was faulty but would come back the next day to fix it as it would take me too long to move furniture about. He then proceeded to sit in his Openreach van on the phone for 30 minutes outside the house before driving away.

10th of May...  8am the engineer returns, parks his van and proceeds to sit in it for 15 minutes on his phone before making his way to the house. I had negotiated a half day off work at very short notice with my boss. Work commences on running a new line from the junction outside of the house and the engineer fitted a brand new bt infinity socket (the last one was only a year old). He wires it all up and runs some tests. Phone line is now clean but the infinity broadband still isn't working. He pokes about and scratches his head for awhile before eventually giving up and saying something along the lines of BT systems being down but he will raise a ticket and get it looked at from the exchange end. And off he goes leaving me with no broadband still.

11th of May.. Another phone call to try to find out what's happening to my broadband as I notice all the fault tickets I have raised are now closed ! It gets raised as a new fault on the BT system and I am told an engineer will be out between 8am and 1pm on Saturday the 12th of May. Later on an automated message is left confirming the appointment and just to make I phoned and was told that the appointment was definitely solid, booked for between 8am and 1pm, on the Saturday.

12 of May..I rearrange the furniture and wait in the full 5 hours, nothing. no engineer, no phone calls, nothing. A check of the fault reporting web site lists the so called "new" fault and also the engineering appointment for Saturday between 8am and 1pm. A phonecall to BT and apparently their system as no record of the engineering appointment at all ! Really, you text me, you updated your fault reporting page and I phoned back to confirm the appointment !

Now you tell me you are coming out on Monday between 8 and 1 pm, really? That's the 14 of May, will be 15 days without a working system.

I'm not even sure why you need to come out to the house if the original engineer seems to think the problem is with no Infinity signal reaching the house, but at this stage I am willing to let anyone look at it if it then means they can go off and fix the thing!

For the record my only means of getting online now is a mobile broadband dongle that I paid for and also prepaid data sims to keep me online. I shouldn't have this hassle after being a loyal BT customer for many many years, never missed paying a bill but now I have been offline for nearly 2 weeks and I am struggling to see why its so difficult getting this fixed? I am not a well man at the moment and the worry isn't doing me much good nor is the extra expense in mobile phone calls and mobile broadband for a system I have already paid for.

Please please please just get it fixed and soon.

7 REPLIES 7
Community Manager
Community Manager
Message 2 of 8

Re: BT Infinity still not working after 13 days, phone line was down for 11

Hi KrycekUK,

Sorry to hear this is still not fixed.

Can you send in your details and one of us mods will get back to you? You can find our "Contact us" link by clicking on my username (under "About me").

Thanks,

Stephanie
Community ModeratorStephanie
Did you get the help you needed?
Help others by clicking on ‘Mark as accepted solution’
Show your appreciation!
Click on the star next to a reply to say thanks
Help guide to using the community? Click below
Kudos”
Please avoid contacting us (moderators) via private message, for account/fault issues, unless invited to do so. The community will be able to help answer your question so we encourage you to create a new thread if you can’t find the answer from existing discussions. The moderators will be around to lend a hand should the community not have the answers. Thank You
0 Ratings
KrycekUK
Beginner
Message 3 of 8

Thank you. Filled in the email us page with the link to this thread.
0 Ratings
Highlighted
orozz
Aspiring Expert
Message 4 of 8

Make a claim for the mobile dongle. When my broadband changed from option 3 to infinity it wouldn't work straight away due to a fault and BT said go out a buy a t-mobile dongle which i did and i was credited with the cost afterwards.

0 Ratings
Suncro
Beginner
Message 5 of 8

I'm having the same problem. No infinity broadband for over 2 weeks now, 4 engineer visits. By far the worst service I have received to date. The customer service from the useless call centre is beyound rediculous. I don't know if they are underpaid or just don't care about the job. I extremely suggest that people with the same problem come forward and report it to U.K watchdog only then will we have our problems rectified. I don't know what BT problem is? F****** S***** useless, incompetent, unprofessional, unethical they are the worst ISP ever when it comes to technical support. Openreach engineers by far the worst engineers to date. The sad thing is that I would have cancelled my broadband and moved to another ISP but I can't unfortunately as the problem may still exist and if it does I don't want to think about what chaos that would cause. Sent from iPhone.
0 Ratings
Sage
Sage
Message 6 of 8

@Suncro wrote:
I'm having the same problem. No infinity broadband for over 2 weeks now, 4 engineer visits. By far the worst service I have received to date. The customer service from the useless call centre is beyound rediculous. I don't know if they are underpaid or just don't care about the job. I extremely suggest that people with the same problem come forward and report it to U.K watchdog only then will we have our problems rectified. I don't know what BT problem is? F****** S***** useless, incompetent, unprofessional, unethical they are the worst ISP ever when it comes to technical support. Openreach engineers by far the worst engineers to date. The sad thing is that I would have cancelled my broadband and moved to another ISP but I can't unfortunately as the problem may still exist and if it does I don't want to think about what chaos that would cause. Sent from iPhone.

I would suggest you start your own thread for your problem giving details and contact the mods using the link below. You may be surprised at how efficient they can be.

0 Ratings
boodadley
Message 7 of 8

I have had a very similar problem. Since paying to upgrade to BTInfinity1 on 30th March 2015 we have had 5 line failures. 4 engineer visits. 13 days with a working service and 22 days without. BT are charging me more money for a poorer service. Hardly an upgrade.
The team on Twitter @BTCare are trying their hardest but the problem clearly rests with BT Openreach who are in effect a separate company to BT Briadband and a monopoly as all fibre / copper providers ultimately have to use BT lines. We have been waiting all day today for an engineer to fix the problem but no joy.
0 Ratings
GarbageGuy
Contributor
Message 8 of 8

Boodadley this post is 3 years old 🙂
0 Ratings