cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
mattc
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 22

BT Infinity switchover - IP profile drop

Hi, I am expecting to switchover, from my regular ADSL 7mbps connection to Infinity 1 fibre broadband, sometime before midnight tomorrow 01/03/17.

As expected I received the BT smart hub today and set it up in place of my old equipment. The internet has been somewhat stable this afternoon but there have been some unusual disconnections and although it seems stable now, I have noticed that my IP profile has dropped from 7.5mbps to 2.5mbps. This is disappointing as I was looking forward to seeing a direct comparison between our old speeds and the new fibre speeds. Instead we are now stuck on a 2.5mbps connection until the fibre connection goes live sometime tomorrow.

My main concern however, and the reason for my post, is whether or not this IP profile drop is likely to affect our fibre speeds? I have had various nightmares in the past with IP profile drops and have been fairly terrified of messing too much with my equipment since for fear of crashing our internet speeds. In my experience it seems that it does not take much to drop the profile but then takes several weeks to recover itself. We've been guaranteed a minimum speed of 40mbps on Infinity 1 after the initial 10 day settling in period so I hope this doesn't cause a problem for the next several weeks!

Are ADSL and fibre IP profiles completely separate?

0 Ratings
21 REPLIES 21
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 22

Re: BT Infinity switchover - IP profile drop

Totally separate, its different equipment.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 3 of 22

But the copper to the cabinet will be the same, so if the problem is a line fault between your house and the cabinet, it will still be there with Infinity.

0 Ratings
mattc
Aspiring Contributor
Message 4 of 22

Good to know, thanks Keith.

0 Ratings
Guru
Message 5 of 22

As Keith states ... totally different line profile and connection. And seeing that you've already installed the hub, just leave it alone, whatever the outcome. As the line is changed over to VDSL it will drop obviously, but once established should revert to an entirely re-negotiated connection at your faster speed. A couple of things may happen, it may restart on its own maybe several times during the first ten days .... and it also may revise the hub's firmware. Leave it connected without hinderence for ten days at least before you're tempted to reset it yourself .... for whatever reason. 😉
0 Ratings
mattc
Aspiring Contributor
Message 6 of 22

@licquorice Should have mentioned, we've had a very stable and consistent 7mbps for the last 12 months so I am fairly confident there is no line fault.

0 Ratings
mattc
Aspiring Contributor
Message 7 of 22

@RogerB Thanks for the technical info, will resist the urge to tinker. Cheers, RogerB.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 8 of 22

Is it not the case that on a VDSL line you would be on an open profile for the first couple of days and then the line would set and as such the "10 days training" is a myth, unlike on an ADSL line which could take up to 10 days to "train"

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Message 9 of 22

Are you sure you haven't double filtered the line when changing the router over?

Changing routers shouldn't cause such a large speed reduction.
If you want to say thanks for a helpful answer,please click on the Ratings star on the left-hand side If the the reply answers your question then please mark as ’Mark as Accepted Solution’
0 Ratings
mattc
Aspiring Contributor
Message 10 of 22

@Webby Not sure I understand what a "double filter" is but the Smart Hub is connected in exactly the same way that my modem and router were i.e. directly into the filtered faceplate. I haven't used any additional ADSL filters for the past 12 months, since installing the new faceplate.

For the past 12 months the speeds have been around 7mbps but I can see that the IP profile has dropped today, down to 2.5mpbs. I assume this has been caused by the Smart Hub disconnecting a few times. Not sure why that would have happened. DSL uptime is now approaching 2 hours. I don't expect the switchover to be completely smooth but it isn't due to happen until tomorrow 01/03/17 and I was worried that this IP profile drop was going to affect (cap) our fibre speeds.

0 Ratings