cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 2

BT Infinity - very slow evening and weekend speeds

Hi,

Around 5 weeks ago I upgraded my standard BT Broadband deal to BT Infinity 1 for download speeds of up to 40Mb.

I have been getting decent download speeds (20-40Mb) during the early part of the day (early morning until about 3pm). Then the speed starts to decline, and from 6pm onwards, the download speed is < 2Mb.

I have had 3 phonecalls with the BT Helpdesk, have plugged my hub (Homehub 5.0) into the "test port", run diagnostics etc and have been told that my line is receiving the full 40Mb. Today a BT engineer arrived and confirmed the same - the line is configured for 40Mb but the speedtest.btwholesale.com test shows the very poor evening download speed. The engineer tried replacing the router, but no improvement. He was at a loss to explain this and has logged a call with a "Second line" support team. He reckoned it's a "throughput issue". but I'm not overly optimistic given the lack of progress so far (3 telephone analysts and an engineer).

I've seen a few similar posts on this board about poor download speeds in evenings, but not seen any resolutions that I can use. Has anyone come across anything similar and can suggest anything else I can try, or do I have to pin all my hopes on the "second line team"?

It's 21:40 and my speed is currently:

Download : 1.29mbps

Upload :    1.18mbsp

Ping :        63.75

(hub connected to laptop via ethernet cable and no other devices connected to hub).

0 Ratings
1 REPLY 1
jimbo1876
Aspiring Contributor
Message 2 of 2

Re: BT Infinity - very slow evening and weekend speeds

@davidjohn104 wrote:

Hi,

Around 5 weeks ago I upgraded my standard BT Broadband deal to BT Infinity 1 for download speeds of up to 40Mb.

I have been getting decent download speeds (20-40Mb) during the early part of the day (early morning until about 3pm). Then the speed starts to decline, and from 6pm onwards, the download speed is < 2Mb.

I have had 3 phonecalls with the BT Helpdesk, have plugged my hub (Homehub 5.0) into the "test port", run diagnostics etc and have been told that my line is receiving the full 40Mb. Today a BT engineer arrived and confirmed the same - the line is configured for 40Mb but the speedtest.btwholesale.com test shows the very poor evening download speed. The engineer tried replacing the router, but no improvement. He was at a loss to explain this and has logged a call with a "Second line" support team. He reckoned it's a "throughput issue". but I'm not overly optimistic given the lack of progress so far (3 telephone analysts and an engineer).

I've seen a few similar posts on this board about poor download speeds in evenings, but not seen any resolutions that I can use. Has anyone come across anything similar and can suggest anything else I can try, or do I have to pin all my hopes on the "second line team"?

It's 21:40 and my speed is currently:

Download : 1.29mbps

Upload :    1.18mbsp

Ping :        63.75

(hub connected to laptop via ethernet cable and no other devices connected to hub).

Please do not entrust "level 2 support" with this. Just a higher level of ineptitude.

@Go on Twitter and post a tweet to @btcare with your issues - they are actively encouraging this as a way of getting issues escalated.

Re your problems - exactly the same here - off peak - 70Mbs Infinity 2 speeds - peak - worse than I had with BT Broadband.

It is about time the media started investigating these issues before BT suffer huge embarrassment when BT Vision customers relying on a decent speed to view HD Champions League football start complaining in their droves.

FAQ

Results Image not loaded

1. Best Effort Test: -provides background information.

Download Speed
 12.85 Mbps

0 Mbps77.28 Mbps
Max Achievable Speed

Download speedachieved during the test was - 12.85 Mbps
 For your connection, the acceptable range of speedsis 40 Mbps-77.28 Mbps .
 Additional Information:
 IP Profile for your line is - 77.28 Mbps

2. Upstream Test: -provides background information.

Upload Speed
 11.78 Mbps

0 Mbps20 Mbps
Max Achievable Speed

Upload speed achieved during the test was - 11.78Mbps
 Additional Information:
 Upstream Rate IP profile on your line is - 20 Mbps

This test was not conclusive and further testing is required.This might be useful for your Broadband Service Provider to investigate the fault.

If you wish to carry out further tests,please click on 'Continue' button.If not, please close the window using 'Exit' button and contact your ISP for further assistance with these results.

0 Ratings