cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
din100
Beginner
Message 1 of 8

BT Infinity with BBC iPlayer and few other streaming sites like ITV 4od etc very slow

I seen few other post with similar issues but mine is bit different. I dont use home hub 3 as it's a peacie of $%^& and transmit BT-FON/openzone with out asking me permission.   full home is wired. speed test always report 72mbits/s cabinit is just outside my home.

use a linksys 4200E router with BT open reach modem. issue is BBC iplayer is buffering along with all other catchup TVs it's like BT is throttling the speed for this sites. Or they have some routing issues. You tube is fine even 2 hour 1080p videos plays fine.

Before any one suggest I dont use any P2p software etc and computers are macs.

If BT is throttling the speed for this sites they have to come clean and let me off the contract. I think got around 8 months left and Sky broadnband look tempting. Only reason I joined BT as they are the only one that did fibre when I orded it.

0 Ratings
7 REPLIES 7
Guru
Message 2 of 8

Re: BT Infinity with BBC iPlayer and few other streaming sites like ITV 4od etc very slow

1. You OptedIn for BT Wifi with your contract, which is free to opt out.

2. Just because a cabinet is outside your house, doesn't mean the route is directly to your house it could be 300m long.

3. The BBC iPlayer users to use to have major issues with, I do get buffering from time to time and is the only player which I do.

4. Even if BT were throttling your speeds, which they're not you would still not be able to get out of your contract.

Do they work on any other devices or does it affect all?

If this helped you please click the Star beside my name.

If this answered your question please click "Mark as Accepted Solution" below.
Guru
Message 3 of 8

Re: BT Infinity with BBC iPlayer and few other streaming sites like ITV 4od etc very slow

Probably worth checking with the HomeHub as well.  Much as you hate it, it has been configured to run Infinity.

If you don't like BT-FON then opt out: its default use was a clear part of your ts&cs.  Probably not worth it if you are just running a quick test using it.  Or, as you are all wired, turn off the wireless altogehter.

Many (most) people do not have issues with iPlayer on Infinity, thought there are threads from other people who have.  Sounds as if you have already checked these to see if there any comments that might apply to you.

What do iPlayer diagnostics http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/diagnostics say?  Is it pretty much the same with linksys and HomeHub?

One possible issue is MTU size.  I don't know how either the linksys or the macs handle MTU, but may be worth checking.

If you do think of leaving Infinity, look at PlusNet as well as Sky.

din100
Beginner
Message 4 of 8

1) no they are not They didn't tell me that in any point. only found out after it's started to transmit and you can't turn it off at HH3 you have to call BT which annoyed me.

2) agree but I do get almost full speed on speed test sites even when BBC iplayer buffers

3) I get that with with other players too only youtube I dont have issue with

4) well that's not really important if BT fix the issue . if I use openvpn (have to pay for tha bandwith so cant use it full time)  to connect to UK servers BBC iplayer is fine so it's not the connection it's some thing to do with BT. 

I use Xbox iPlayer  it's the same thing on that again it's on wired conncetion. I cant even use the  bbc iplayer apps on the phone download shows even that's very slow.

0 Ratings
din100
Beginner
Message 5 of 8

I dont know where my HH3 but I dont think it's the router. MTU might be an issue but whats the correct amount ? I think mine on default setting as I didn't change it. 

I'm not home now but I remember getting that  iplayer dianostic page when I tried to watch some HD videos but test said all ok but got less speed that any other speed test site.

As Far as I know BT owns plus net. I had lot of respect for plusnet before BT bought it. they were like the cheaper version of demon.

0 Ratings
din100
Beginner
Message 6 of 8

any one from BT have answer for me ?

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Message 7 of 8

This is a customer to customer self help forum the only BT presence here are the forum moderators

0 Ratings
A1944
Expert
Message 8 of 8

@din100 wrote:

1) no they are not They didn't tell me that in any point. only found out after it's started to transmit and you can't turn it off at HH3 you have to call BT which annoyed me.

You do not have to call BT, you can opt out here:

https://www.bt.com/wifi/secure/status.do?s_cid=con_FURL_btfon/status

0 Ratings