cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 9

BT Infinity woes and weirdness

Recently had my internet 'fixed'...between a replacement hub and a new line from the box on my house down to the master socket....I originally had speeds of 70mb+ down and 12/13mb up.  This suddenly went down overnight to 42-46mb down, 12/13mb up, and regularly drops/disconnected.

Firstly I was told no issue on line, and had a replacement router.  This somehow made things worse, speeds went to 37mb down....rang BT again, spoke to another fella who said I must have issues on the line.  Nice chap came down, replaced the line into the house...messed about with the master socket and said my speeds should return to normal.  Since then my speed has gone back up to 56mb down and 18mb up, nowhere close to where it was but better I guess...but when I do a quiet line test, it did seem noisier than before 😐.  Will my original speed ever return? Or will the constant disconnects and  potentially a worse hub hamstring it forever!!

Also, as shown in picture below...on my router it now says Connection Type: Fibre Broadband (VDSL), now this always use to say BT Infinity 2, 3, 4   etc.  Why has this suddenly happened? Is something not right?  Any ideas be great! 🙂

huh?!huh?!

0 Ratings
8 REPLIES 8
Message 2 of 9

Re: BT Infinity woes and weirdness

Any noise on the line is a problem, you should report it and get it sorted out. Don't mention broadband or you'll end up in the wrong queue.

Infinity was just a brand name which is no longer used.

Message 3 of 9

in order for the forum members to help please can you post the stats from your router (if hub enter 192.168.1.254 in your browser) if HH6/SH2 then advanced settings then technical log information . 

enter your phone number and post results  remember to delete number   

https://www.broadbandchecker.btwholesale.com/#/ADSL

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
Message 4 of 9

@imjolly  did you miss the bit about the noise on the line? That needs sorting out first.

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 9

lineStats.jpg@pippincp Thanks for that, will chase up the noisy line issue. Wasn't terrible, but definitely not quiet.

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 9

techlog.jpg

0 Ratings
Message 7 of 9

@pippincp 

No I read the bit about some line noise and I wanted to see how bad it was affecting the connection by comparing expected range with the hub stats.  It will also help when noise is fixed for comparison

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
Message 8 of 9

@Dazz0r77  You blanked out the exchange so we can't tell what type of cab you are on and if G.INP would be available.

0 Ratings
Message 9 of 9

Exchange GILWERN is served by Cabinet 4... DOH!
0 Ratings