cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 6

BT Network Stability / New Line Question?

My contract has expired. 

I am thinking of renewing it soon but I think we might need a new line.

The line is around 30 years old and the drop wire seem to be stiff and brittle. From time to time the phone line will have an intermittent screeching. We have never contact BT about it since we did not want to get charged engineers fees. We did have line issues with TalkTalk they charged us 2 Engineer visits after saying there was no fault and then credited us it back. It was quite stressful.

I have also recently started to Stream to Twitch and the Upload seem to be jittery. I was set to 4000kbs at CBR and it was Dropping frames and was marked as it was unstable. 
My Games were dropping over 100fps so I know its network side.

DSL Checker

MatthewG_1-1631019415165.png

Speed Test 

MatthewG_3-1631019935412.png

Router Stats

MatthewG_0-1631019333400.png

Twitch Inspector 

MatthewG_2-1631019743673.png

0 Ratings
5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6

Re: BT Network Stability / New Line Question?

Unless you order a second line to run alongside the one you currently have ,( at least for a while )  then there isn’t a way to get a ‘new’ line installed , regardless of if you renew with BT , continue with BT on a rolling 30 days to quit ‘contract’ , or migrate to someone else…age isn’t necessarily a guide to if the existing dropwire is OK or faulty , ( there is no reason to suspect it isn’t ) and asking for it to be renewed just because it’s ‘old’ will not get a positive response,  realistically the only way it will be renewed is if it is demonstrably ‘faulty’ or it needs to be renewed for other reasons ( like a storm brings the line down ) , even if you changed provider and they offered a new line, the existing cabling will be used, unless it were a second line ( you stressing that the service on original line has to be retained )

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 6

your connection already has G.INP active and giving you a speed boost and noise margin down about 3db

if you have noise on quiet line test then report a phone fault.  dial 17070 option 2  should be silent and best with corded phone

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Message 4 of 6

This is an old video I found on my phone but this is what I hear

Sometime it can be fine for a week or so then it can happen on or off. Thats why I have not acted on it. 
At the moment there is a bit of popping but they might be just the cordless 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R-7eICI08SE

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 6

the real test for your line is the quiet line test

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Message 6 of 6

The video should be visible.

I just checked there is a bit of popping but that might just be the cordless. I will check though out the day and look for a corded phone.

0 Ratings