cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
curiousfellow
Aspiring Expert
Message 1 of 7

BT Network or Smart Hub 6 force a reboot every 35+ days?

Some time ago, I suddenly started finding my fibre broadband connection was being dropped. Up to that point, Id been on Infinity FTTC for about 5 years if not a little longer with no issues whatsoever.

In all that time, I was using a Netgear Router with the original BT white box modem. I didnt really investigate the problem as the disconnects were becoming too frequent being hours apart and I put it down to either the BT modem or the NG router. BT had sent me a new Smart Hub 6 as part of a new deal so fixed this up to replace the separate modem and router.

However, in the couple of months since, the SH6 has held a connection for 'only' 39 days and 35 days before automatically rebooting. My previous set up would be stable for 150 & 180+ days before Id chose to re boot. I cannot see anything obvious in the Events Log, the re boots happened at different times in the day and there's no electrical equipment switching on of off at the re boot times.

So does anyone know, is there anything in BT Infinity or SH6 protocol to re boot automatically after 30+ days? Seems strange Ive had 2 automatic reboots using the SH6 when I didnt come across this using the modem and separate router.

And just to clarify, there's no extension wiring on my circuit, my SH6 is plugged into the main filtered box etc.

0 Ratings
6 REPLIES 6
pippincp
Sage
Message 2 of 7

Re: BT Network or Smart Hub 6 force a reboot every 35+ days?

If its not causing a problem I wouldn't worry about it. There are many who get a 14 day reboot on a regular basis.

0 Ratings
curiousfellow
Aspiring Expert
Message 3 of 7

Thanks for the comment. It's just a bit disappointing when you used to have 180 day connections. It is causing a slight problem in that a Sky box isnt seeing the network on the reboot. We can work around that by rebooting the Sky box or reverting to a home plugs but I was more concerned with what regular reboots would do to the overall line speed more than anything.

0 Ratings
imjolly
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 7

resets of 14 days made absolutely no difference to connection speed so resets at 35 days is an inconvenience more than anything else.  it may just stop after a period without you doing anything

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
pompey1898
Recognised Expert
Message 5 of 7

@pippincpwrote:

If its not causing a problem I wouldn't worry about it. There are many who get a 14 day reboot on a regular basis.

Hi @curiousfellow ,

And some, like me, had disconnections several times a day every day.  BT did eventually resolve it by supplying mome plugs but even these have caused disconnections about every other day but have now failed completely.

So you should consider yourself one of the very lucky ones.

0 Ratings
curiousfellow
Aspiring Expert
Message 6 of 7

Yes, Im fortunate in that my reboots are happening currently around 35+ days. It is an inconvenience due to a Sky+ box not seeing the network when it happens and needs manual intervention to sort it.

Like I said, upto around January 2020 when my NG router & BT modem set up started acting up, it was me rebooting after 150 - 180 days.

Interesting to read 14 day disconnects dont affect the DL speed and that was my main concern. Sorry to hear about @pompey1898 that really is poor.

0 Ratings
curiousfellow
Aspiring Expert
Message 7 of 7

Currently 56 days since last re boot. Hope I havent goosed it.

0 Ratings