cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Bunty29
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 15

BT Nightmare: Broadband Performance and more

I simply want someone/an engineer to visit, assess current status and tell me how we can get it fixed. I tried online last night and had to go through all the reset router steps, lie, etc before someone would actually respond and then - typically - the connection was lost ?! We have unreliable internet - it fails daily and not just with wireless devices, those connected via ethernet too. I believe there may be an issue in that the primary phone socket to the house may have been removed and therefore the router is plugged into a secondary outlet??? A BT engineer did visit a few years ago, a visit I was prepared to pay for, however, it transpired that the issue was actually a BT one and not ours. On recent inspection we found that the state of the BT connections coming into our house may not be helping our problems  - see photos - so far I haven't found a way to bring these tophoto 1.jpgBT Photo 2.jpg BT's attention but I've enrolled in this community in the hope that we can get some help. 

0 Ratings
14 REPLIES 14
CJT80
Expert
Message 2 of 15

Re: BT Nightmare: Broadband Performance and more

@Bunty29 

Wow... was there something covering that collection of wires before?  Also to confirm are BT your provider?

Kind Regards
CJT80
Say thanks by clicking the Thumbs Up icon. Have I resolved your issue? Click "Mark As Accepted Solution"
Sage
Sage
Message 3 of 15

The most common cause of dropouts is noise on the line which could be due to the wiring outside. Try a quiet line test with a corded phone (preferred} 17070 option 2 any noise report a line fault on 151, don't mention broadband.

Bunty29
Aspiring Contributor
Message 4 of 15

BT have always been our provider. I'm not sure how it looked before, it's generally out of sight so it was by chance we noticed this.
0 Ratings
Bunty29
Aspiring Contributor
Message 5 of 15

I'll give it a try thanks.
0 Ratings
Sage
Sage
Message 6 of 15

If you do have noise on the line an engineer will be sent out and you can ask him to sort that mess outside while he's there.

Message 7 of 15

Hi @Bunty29  and welcome to the community.

I'm sorry you've had so many problems with the connection. Looking at your pictures I'd be fairly certain that's where the problems are. As the other guys have mentioned the best place to start would be a quiet line test. If you hear noise report it on 151 and arrange an engineer visit. Can you let us kn ow how you get on with that?

Cheers

David

0 Ratings
Message 8 of 15

Hi @Bunty29,

I want to follow up with you to see how things are with your connection. Did you manage to get an engineer out to take a look at your line?

Thanks

PaddyB

0 Ratings
Bunty29
Aspiring Contributor
Message 9 of 15

I did speak to a very helpful and sympathetic lady the other day and reached the point where we were logging an engineer, only to find that, inspite of my 3rd party security clearance, because our account states only my husband’s name, it has to be him who authorises the engineer request!!!! Grrrr! We have continual signal drops this week and I am now of the view that we will cancel and move to sky so am currently moving our emails to gmail in preparation.
0 Ratings
garybs29
Contributor
Message 10 of 15

You are aware that moving providers may not solve the issie, a working line takeover doesn't usually require an engineer visit so if the issues are caused by the line/cables their likely to continue with other providers
0 Ratings