Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
jhrowley
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 25

BT Plus Speed

Go to solution

Hi

I upgraded to BT Plus a while back and have never really noticed any increase in download speed. I just did a test and got results of 18.82 download and 0.71 upload, and I've had these sort of readings when I've done tests before. I'm sure the package was sold to me as being better than this.

I struggle to find out whether this is the best I can currently expect or whether there is some problem on my service, and would be grateful for any help/advice.

Thanks

0 Ratings
24 REPLIES 24
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 25

Re: BT Plus Speed

Go to solution

enter your phone number and post results  leave exchange and cab   https://www.dslchecker.bt.com/adsl/adslchecker.welcome

if you could previously only get about the same speed on your fibre conenction then upgrading to faster package will not increase your speed unless your line can handle it  from speeds you quote you would not benefit from package upgrade

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
jhrowley
Aspiring Contributor
Message 3 of 25

Go to solution

Thanks for the quick reply. Here's the data.. When you wrote "leave exchange and cab" I wasn't sure whether you meant leave it out of the posting for confidentially reasons on a public forum or something else. I'm served by cabinet 4 on South Petherton exchange and can let you have the number as well if you need it.

Screenshot 2019-07-18 at 15.30.41.png

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 25

Go to solution

can you post hub stats  if hh6 then advanced settings then technical log information   if hh5 then troubleshooting then helpdesk

exchange and cab were helpful

are you using test socket with filter to see if that helps

check for line noise  dial 17070 option 2  should be silent and best with corded phone

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Highlighted
jhrowley
Aspiring Contributor
Message 5 of 25

Go to solution

Thanks for quick reply, again! Had to go out and just got back, so I'm not so quick. Hope this is what you need - I do have Home Hub 6.

I do have a socket with filter. I did the quiet test on a corded BT Duet 210 v2 and there was a persistent low-level hum from all sockets. I have 3 sockets, all identical MK make, in hall, lounge and a bedroom. I have no way of being certain which is primary one but have assumed and always used the hall one for Duet and HH6. All have filters, bedroom has wired Siemens c475 base station, lounge has filter only.

Screenshot 2019-07-18 at 21.45.22.pngScreenshot 2019-07-18 at 21.45.43.pngScreenshot 2019-07-18 at 21.47.28.pngScreenshot 2019-07-18 at 21.48.00.png

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 25

Go to solution

Your connection speed is nowhere near what you would expect from the dslchecker results

i think you need to find your master socket and connect to the test socket which is behind the front plate of the master. The master should be the first socket in your home where the openreach cable enters from outside.  Can often be near front door or sometimes it can be in the loft 

0 Ratings
Message 7 of 25

Go to solution

Hi @jhrowley The master socket should have a removable face plate to allow access to the test socket.

test socket.jpg

0 Ratings
jhrowley
Aspiring Contributor
Message 8 of 25

Go to solution

Thanks to both of you for your replies.

I remember now that I had a master socket with test socket behind the back plate at my last house. I've taken the front plates off the three MK brand sockets I mentioned yesterday, and none, including the one with the HH6 on, have the test socket. In fact they all look like fairly recent additions as I can see the walls have been recently drilled out to take them. Because of this I've spent this morning going round every wall trying to find more, moving all my furniture etc, to do it!

I can see where the line comes into the house. Sadly it's in the roof space above an attached garage that's very difficult to get to in the overall roof space (which is quite big as it's a bungalow, and L-shaped with the garage) which has very little boarding and lots of insulation and woodwork, so I'd need to buy quite a lot of boards to get across there.

Anyway, I've found three more hidden sockets, one MK brand and two BT. None of them have the test socket behind the front plate. Two didn't have filters on, but didn't have any equipment on either, so I think that's OK?

It's a rented house so I will ask the owners through the agent about the main socket, but from experience this will take a few days and some factual questions in the past have got a "don't know" reply, so I'm not too optimistic on this.

I've put the HH6 on the BT socket (which was behind furniture and only 6 feet from an MK one) nearest to the point the line comes in and done a speed test. Results are attached - they're just a bit better than yesterday.Screenshot 2019-07-19 at 10.48.02.jpg

The other BT socket is is the diagonally opposite corner of the house, almost as far from the line entry point as it could be.

I had to use www.broadbandspeedchecker.co.uk again for this. Yesterday on bt.com I was was told the checker was unavailable, and today I can't get past the login even though I put in my BT ID and password exactly the same as works to get to MY BT, etc on the website.

I've also done the quiet line test again and got the same persistent low level hum.

Sorry for the long message. I will ask about the main socket, but if you've got anything else you want me to do in the meantime please let me know.

Thanks again

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 9 of 25

Go to solution

It sounds as though your internal wiring is a complete nightmare and is probably responsible for the slow speed, unfortunately you will need to isolate it at the master socket in order to verify that is where the problem lies.

0 Ratings
jhrowley
Aspiring Contributor
Message 10 of 25

Go to solution

Thanks for the reply. I thought the same when I was looking into it earlier. The MK sockets made me think some on-the-cheap changes had been made.

I've asked the agent to find out about the main socket. Will it be a matter on getting someone in from BT/OpenReach to sort it all out if the main socket can't be found?

0 Ratings