cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
hangonharry
Beginner
Message 1 of 6

BT Router drops internet connection when landline used

I moved just before covid, transferred my account I now have BT Halo 1. Since day one there have been issues about the router to internet connection. I have had a replacement router changed to BT Router 6, BT were also going to check the line. However that check was cancelled and MyBT account shows that I am happy with the call being closed. It advised to contact BT if that is not the case. At the moment it seems extremely difficult to contact BT. I have noticed that if I use the landline then the BT router drops the internet connection.  Which actually makes it quite difficult to contact any organisation as it typically requires both telephone and internet. Does anyone else have this kind of problem ?

0 Ratings
5 REPLIES 5
imjolly
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 6

Re: BT Router drops internet connection when landline used

can you try connecting to the test socket, which is behind the master socket faceplate, with a new filter and see if you still drop internet when making/receiving phone call

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
hangonharry
Beginner
Message 3 of 6

Hello,

Sorry about the delay. I did a brief test and found that I could connect using the test socket and make a call. Although it was a brief test.

Does this indicate a fault in my handset or a fault in the wiring from the master socket to the extension. Is there a way to check that ? I did try to connect the handset to the master socket, it, a panasonic wireless phone, displayed a message  about no line. In my haste I may have connected the handset to the to the filter when it was still connected to the test socket. 

0 Ratings
imjolly
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 6

if connecting to the test socket with a filter and then making a call there is no drop in connection it suggests either faulty faceplate or an extension socket with something connected without a filter 

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
hangonharry
Beginner
Message 5 of 6

Hello,

Is the faceplate the part that is screwed on to the master socket that conceals the test socket ? 

There are 3 telephone points in the house; the master socket, and extension where I plug in the house phone, a Panasonic wireless unit. There is a another socket in what was the previous owners high tech office. That appears to be a different circuit as the house phone complains about no line when plugged in to that one. 

Would you suggest that I put a filter, like the one that came with the router, between the house phone and the extension socket ?

Thanks,

0 Ratings
imjolly
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 6

If you use a filter in the socket when connecting your hub then you also need to use a filter if connecting your phone to an extension socket

0 Ratings