cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 17

BT Smart Hub 2 constantly disconnecting, engineer visited this morning, still disconnecting.

Hello

I've had an ongoing issue with my router suddenly disconnecting, and turning from blue to orange. It does this pretty much non-stop and has on occasion according to customer services disconnected as much as 54 times in a single day. I've had a new router sent out, and that didn't fix the problem and several engineers who've worked on the telephone exchange (the green box thing) and told me they've identified and fixed the issue - despite they never fixed the issue as it would still disconnect non-stop. However, I've not been able to have an engineer inside my property until today due to the pandemic. The engineer came this morning, and ran loads of tests from within my property, and told me that there was A LOT of noise on the line, and he said he did something to the face plate (possibly replaced it, can't remember) and he said that it had fixed the issue of noise on the line and my internet should now stop disconnecting. Well.... within five minutes of him leaving the property it's started disconnecting again and it hasn't stopped. What else can I do?

0 Ratings
16 REPLIES 16
Message 2 of 17

Re: BT Smart Hub 2 constantly disconnecting, engineer visited this morning, still disconnecting.

Do a quiet line test, 17070 option 2 best with corded phone. You may get a dull background hum with cordless.

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 17

Re: BT Smart Hub 2 constantly disconnecting, engineer visited this morning, still disconnecting.

I don't have a phone to plug into the socket to test this. The engineer this morning did all of that already, and said that he could detect a lot of noise on the line, but that he had managed to fix it and there was no noise. He even let me have a listen and it sounded fine.

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 17

He clearly didn't fix it and you need to report the fault again, although without a phone to test with you can't be sure whether the noise has returned or not. A £5 phone is a very good cheap test tool

Message 5 of 17

noise keeps coming back, despite two engineers 'fixing' the problem internet drops out.

I've been suffering from constant dropouts on my internet as a result of noise on my telephone line. I've had two engineers out now, and they discover noise on the line and tell me they've fixed the issue. They tell me they've replaced the socket/plate etc and then demonstrate there is no longer noise on the line. The first time, after the engineer left, no more than five minutes later and the noise came back, and the internet began dropping out. The second time, the same engineers as the first time comes out again, and once again confirms there is noise on the line. He replaced things at the masker socket and ran some tests etc - and once again fixed the noise. He even goes to the cabinet and tells me he's reconnected everything, and checked things over, and sticks around for a while to see if the internet starts dropping out / noise comes back. It doesn't for at least three days, and then randomly the past couple of days it dropped out early hours of the morning, whilst I was watching YouTube, but reconnected quickly, and was fine throughout the day. However, now it's beginning to just drop out constantly, and once again I can hear noise on the line after performing a quiet line test.  What are the next steps I / BT can take?  P.S it drops out as in the router goes from blue, and starts flashing orange to sometimes even just going purple. 

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 17

Re: noise keeps coming back, despite two engineers 'fixing' the problem internet drops out.

All you can do is report the noise again and insist they send a competent engineer that can identify the cause of the fault. There is probably a corroded wire or joint somewhere on the line.

0 Ratings
Message 7 of 17

Re: noise keeps coming back, despite two engineers 'fixing' the problem internet drops out.

Hi @Setsuko I'm really sorry the noisy line fault and dropping connection issue has not been resolved yet as I appreciate the inconvenience this must be causing you. 

I'll send you a private message in a moment so you can send over your details to the moderation team and we'll be happy to help, the fault may need to be escalated with Openreach as a repeat issue.

You'll get the private message by clicking on the envelope in the top right of the community.

Thanks

Neil

Message 8 of 17

I'm continuing to have the exact same problems, and recently just had a team out on Friday from 9pm until 4am doing traffic management and repairing some junction box under the road and telling me that would resolve the problem. It's not resolved the problem, as of Sunday and today its been disconnecting non stop once again and I am completely unsure as to what to do now. 

0 Ratings
Message 9 of 17

Hi @Setsuko, thanks for the update and sorry you are still getting drops in your connection. Did you take up the offer of help from Neil?

cheers

John

0 Ratings
Message 10 of 17

No since it never gave me the option to reply. I can see and read the message, but see no reply function.

0 Ratings