cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Message 1 of 9

BT Smart Hub 2 - package conteHnts - trying to assist elderly neighbour but think some bits missing

Hi BT Community

I am trying to assist my elderly neighbour with installing Smart Hub 2 which has arrived at some time in the last few weeks but she only told me yesterday.  Hard enough in these socially distant times 

The box doesn't contain a filter or Broadband cable.   She has an existing filter but the existing cable doesn't fit into the new box.

Should there be a filter and cable in the box ?

How do I get a new one ?

When is switch over likely to take place in BS39 postcode ?

Thanks in advance for any replies

0 Ratings
8 REPLIES 8
Highlighted
Sage
Message 2 of 9

Re: BT Smart Hub 2 - package conteHnts - trying to assist elderly neighbour but think some bits miss

There should have been a cable and filter supplied. What is she switching from - to?

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Message 3 of 9

Re: BT Smart Hub 2 - package conteHnts - trying to assist elderly neighbour but think some bits miss

Hi, thanks for the quick reply.

She has been sent a free Smart Hub 2 as I believe due to go to fibre.  She only uses t'internet for emails with family and friends.  

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 9

if neighbour currently on older adsl then if there is a filter connected to phone socket take the cable that is connected to extisting hub and connect that to new hub dsl port.  any cable connected to the old hub LAN ports for devices are just reconnected to the LAN ports of new hub

only real change is you need to use the new power supply that came with new hub

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Message 5 of 9

Thanks for the suggestion but had previously checked that option, but the new Smart 2 hub has an RJ45 'internet in' cable labelled 'Broadband' (same shape as the other 4 output sockets) previous hub (as with others I've seen) has an RJ11 socket 'in' - apologies if not the correct RJ names but think I've got that correct.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 9

There should be a grey RJ11 socket labelled 'Broadband' on the SH2. Does the SH2 have a red RJ45 socket, if so that is is the hub that is supplied with FTTP installs. Is the neighbour getting FTTP or FTTC?

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 7 of 9

If the grey socket is an RJ45, an RJ11 plug can still be used.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Message 8 of 9

Hi again, sorry not very technical this end, husband replied to last msg.

I am looking at the SH2 but not the old hub as that is still plugged in with neighbour.

There is a grey Broadband socket which we now realise is slightly different to the 4 yellow sockets so will see if neighbours existing cable will fit into the socket on SH2 .

Will the old filter be OK to use with the new SH2 ?

Also when is the switch over due to be happening, as I may be able to leave all this till COVID19 has gone away.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 9 of 9

Is the neighbour currently with BT, if so you can switch to the new hub whenever you like as it will work with both ADSL and FTTC (fibre). Just unplug the grey lead from the old hub and plug it into the new one, existing filter will be fine.

0 Ratings