cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 13

BT Smart Hub 2 speed slow after replacement?

Hello, we have been having issues with out internet recently and after many engineer visits (and various different items being changed) we have still been having issues. Our expected speeds are 30Mb with 21 guaranteed which we often get, but other days the speeds drop to around 2Mb and won't increase for days at a time.

We have been sent another brand new Smart Hub 2 to replace our current Smart Hub 2 (as we have been told there could potentially be an issue as we have had this for a while) which we have installed today. Speed tests are showing between 2Mb - 6Mb.

I know speeds can be unstable in the first few days after becoming a new customer, but could this also be the case after swapping to a brand new version of the same Smart Hub? Trying to figure out if this is an issue which could sort itself out after a couple of days, or if another issue has developed here.

Thanks in advance

0 Ratings
12 REPLIES 12
Message 2 of 13

Re: BT Smart Hub 2 speed slow after replacement?

Can you post your connection stats from Advanced settings/technical log/information.

Also do a quiet line test on 17070 option 2, best with corded phone. It should be silent between announcements.

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 13

No, that's not the case at all.

Is the problem sync speed dropping or download speed as tested with a speedtester.

Can you post the hub stats  Advanced Settings > Technical log > Information

Is there any noise on your line when you carry out a quiet line test on 17070, preferably with a corded phone.

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 13

We dont have a landline anymore as we never used it, is there another way to do this test?

Product code:Smart Hub 2

Serial number:+091298+2027032400

Firmware version:v0.17.01.12301-BT

Firmware updated:Thu Aug 20 17:11:36 2020

Board version:R01

GUI version:1.56 15_02_2019

DSL uptime:0 days,05 Hours34 Mins56 Secs

Data rate:3.437 Mbps / 6.872 Mbps

Maximum data rate:3.576 Mbps / 7.112 Mbps

Noise margin:6.5 / 6.4

Line attenuation:45.0 / 42.3

Signal attenuation:42.5 / 44.9

VLAN id:101

Upstream error control:Off

Downstream error control:Off

Data sent / received:502.6 MB Uploaded  / 2.9 GB Downloaded

Broadband username:bthomehub@btbroadband.com

BT Wi-fi:Activated

2.4 GHz wireless network name:BT-PHAJ2J

2.4 GHz wireless channel:Smart (Channel11)

5 GHz wireless network name:BT-PHAJ2J

5 GHz wireless channel:Smart (Channel36)

Wireless security:WPA2 (Recommended)

Wireless mode:Mode 1

Firewall:On

MAC address:18:82:8C:C7:5B:E9

Software variant:-

Boot loader:0.1.7-BT (Thu Nov 30 09:45:22 2017)
0 Ratings
Message 5 of 13

Its just download i have been checking, We dont have a landline so not sure if i can test this.

Hub stats are now posted above.

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 13

I think you'd find you have no dial tone but without a handset you can't test for it. Broadband will work with only one wire connected but it will be slow.

0 Ratings
Message 7 of 13

So are you saying with a landline connected you would expect the broadband to run faster?

0 Ratings
Message 8 of 13

you always have have had a landline but just chose not to use it but your broadband is delivered to your home over your landline.  if there is a problem with your landline then there will be a problem with your broadband

your phone need both wires to work and get dial tone but your broadband will work with only 1 wire connected but very slowly hence testing to see if you have a dial tone - the most basic of tests

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Message 9 of 13

@Hazjewrote:

So are you saying with a landline connected you would expect the broadband to run faster?

Intriguing! I understood for broadband, you MUST have line rental. Your broadband is delivered down the phone line. This being the case, you really do need to check the phone line works, especially as to whether there is any noise on the line.

If you would check your MyBT, you should see line rental as well as you broadband.

Apologies if I am wrong here.

Sorry @imjolly - our posts crossed. I am slower than you, citing old age!

0 Ratings
Message 10 of 13

We are getting another landline today, when set up i will check for dial tone and noise on the line

0 Ratings