cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 22

BT Smart Hub 2 usable on phone extension?

Go to solution

Our master socket is in an incredibly inconvenient place in the garage - high on one wall other side of BT cable entering and no power available nearby.  The master socket is the type with a single socket - the analogue phone socket type - and not the two socket digital and analogue type (with the splitter built-in).

My current broadband package is FTTC via PlusNet and I want to change to BT Broadband Fibre 2.  My current setup is the PlusNet broadband router is plugged into a standard wired phone extension in my office via a broadband/phone splitter and works well with no issues, currently giving 54 MBits/s download.

All the BT help I can find says the Smart Hub 2 must be plugged into the master socket via a splitter which is impossible in my case.  Not only is there no power or convenient mounting point, my office computer and printer are directly connected using ethernet to the current router/hub and cannot use wi-fi.

Can I replicate my current setup using Smart Hub 2 (i.e. plugging it into my office phone extension using a splitter)?  I accept in theory it will have some small losses due to the extension wiring but cannot think of why it would not work since in theory there is no wiring difference between the single plug master socket and an extension, especially since phone extension are wired off the back of the single socket in the master socket.  I note the documentation is slightly ambiguous in this case as it clearly says you cannot use an extension for a two socket master socket but is silent regarding the single socket master socket.

Any help gratefully received, especially from anyone using an extension from a single socket master socket.  I don't want to order the BT Fibre 2 package only to discover it will not work.

0 Ratings
21 REPLIES 21
Message 2 of 22

Re: BT Smart Hub 2 usable on phone extension?

Go to solution

The SH2 will work just as the Plusnet router does now.

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 22

Go to solution

As you are going to be a new customer to BT retail have you checked to see if you are moving to digital voice for your landline calls - or have you selected broadband only?

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Message 4 of 22

Go to solution

We are a current BT retail customer - BT currently supply landline and phone service.  PlusNet supply broadband only.  And our plan is to change to the combined BT broadband and phone package.  Also, since the batteries for the current two analogue DECT phone (one base station phone one linked phone) have pretty well given up the ghost we were planning on getting the two new essential digital phones that are offered as part of the package broadband and line package.

If we move to digital voice phones we will still be left with one analogue phone  - our alarm system is wired as an extension running from the master socket and has it's own built-in splitter.  I should have asked, but it there any reason the alarm system will no longer work if we move to digital voice phones (i.e. wifi from the SH2), or do we have to continue using our analogue phone (at least until the digital switchover whenever that occurs)?

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 22

Go to solution

If you are getting the free DV essential phones then you are moving to digital voice and your existing master socket and extension will no longer work for phone calls - unless you make some changes .  Suggest you read the digital voice FAQ. 

You DV phone connect to the SH2 by dect not WiFi.  You alarm system will not work so need to contact the alarm company for solution

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Message 6 of 22

Go to solution

Thank you, that confirms what I suspected.  Alarm is due a service about now so I'll have a conversation with the alarm servicing company - I believe they have a mobile network option.  And maybe a DV option by now as well.  If I do move to digital voice do I still need to use a splitter to connect the hub since there will be no analogue connections, or is the splitter still required to filter out low frequency noise?

Also puzzled by your comment that DV phones use DECT to connect to SH2 because the instructions for connecting DV to SH2 state you link the DV base using the WPS button on the SH2 which usually means the base station will be using wifi to connect to the SH2 and uses VoIP, not DECT (although the phones themselves could use DECT to connect to the base station).

0 Ratings
Message 7 of 22

Go to solution

The DV PHONES  connect to hub using DECT not wifi. This has been covered many times on the forum

0 Ratings
Message 8 of 22

Go to solution

The WPS button is dual function

0 Ratings
Message 9 of 22

Go to solution

You said originally that you were moving to Fibre 2. That is an FTTC service the same as you're currently on. Or did you mean Full Fibre 2 which is FTTP? It's possible to have DV on both.

If you're moving to another FTTC package then as I said, nothing will change.

Either way, your alarm may still work by connecting it to the back of the SH2. But you will only know for certain by trying it.

0 Ratings
Message 10 of 22

Go to solution
Thank you - Googled the forums and found the discussions. I guess I was expecting DV used VoIP like most work phone systems, and not a proprietary DV system. But I suppose the DECT system makes more sense in simplifying installation given the large number of customers they need to reach and their likely expertise.
0 Ratings