Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
DIB27
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 14

BT Smart Hub 6 - Constant Disconnections ONLY when using Win10 PC

Go to solution

Hi, I am really at my wits end with this issue and wondering if anyone can shed any light on it. I am a BT Inifinty customer with a Smart hub (Hub 6?). The service has been fairly reliable up until a couple of weeks ago, but I have now started to experience a problem whereby the hub becomes incredibly unreliable and I get constant disconnection problems, but ONLY when using my PC. I have the following devices connected to the hub:

ETHERNET:

- Samsung TV

- Humax PVR

- Hive Home

- PC (Windows 10 64bit)

WIRELESS:

- 2 phones (1x Andorid, 1x iOS)

- Tablet

- Amazon Firestick

I can use all of the devices with no problems - yesterday I came home, sat down and watched something on the Firestick, used the Youtube app on the TV and was using my phone to browse the internet...the connection was completely stable.

I then went upstairs to do some work on my Windows 10 PC. I opened the browser (Google Chrome) and started browsing. I was able to for a few seconds, and then suddenly, the connection dropped. Instead of being able to open websites, I instead got directed to the Smart Hub troubleshooter and the lights on the hub went orange. 

I ran through the troubleshooter which restarted the hub. I opened another website, and it was working...then a few seconds later, I got the BT troubleshooter page again and had to go through the whole rigmarole of restarting the hub and waiting for it to reconnect. This cycle repeated several times and it ended up taking me about 40 mins to get the hub to reconnect...and then it remained stable. 

This has been happening regularly for the last few weeks - as soon as I start using the internet on the PC, the hub drops its connection and becomes unrelaible. No other devices on the network (even other ethernet devices) seem to be causing this, it's only the PC. Sometimes, after initially dropping the connection and restarting, it will remain stable for hours...but I can gaurantee that if I were to use the PC again the next day, it will knock the hub off the internet. 

I tried ringing support yesterday...however, I have to admit by this time I was already frustrated, and after being on hold for 30 minutes, I rang off. But to be honest, I'm not convinced they can help - the connection seems stable, there are no faults reported in my area code and I have run the "quiet line" test...it's absolutely silent. So I wouldn't hold much hope of support doing anything other than telling me the problem is with my PC. 

Does anyone have any suggestions of how to investigate what's causing this? It's incredibly frustrating - I use my PC regularly for browsing, gaming and also work, and this problem makes it a big of a gamble as to whether I can use it most evenings. I'm guessing that maybe there is a setup problem with Windows 10 causing the issue - but I cannot fthom why it would cause the Smart Hub to lose the broadband connection, rather than just prevent the PC from connecting.

0 Ratings
13 REPLIES 13
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 14

Re: BT Smart Hub 6 - Constant Disconnections ONLY when using Win10 PC

Go to solution

Its possible that you are simply overloading the home hub, and causing it to crash. I don`t think it copes well with too many devices connected, its only a basic ISP provided router.

It may be worth running the BT Wholesale speed tester to see what the results are, as perhaps your download or upload rate has dropped too low.

0 Ratings
NoSirItWasntMe
Contributor
Message 3 of 14

Go to solution

Hi @DIB27 , do you get the same problem if you connect your laptop using Wi-Fi instead of using an Ethernet cable?

0 Ratings
DIB27
Aspiring Contributor
Message 4 of 14

Go to solution

Thanks Keith....I think that's unlikely though. This happens even when the PC is the only device being used. I'm rarely using more than one or two devices concurrently - I was jut giving some examples of how all the devices can seemingly be used with no issues, but the hub falls over as soon as the PC is used - besides, I have had all these devices connected for months without issue. The last time I ran the speed test, it didn't show any unusually low speeds.

Just something else to add though which might help - the PC is connected via Powerline adaptors. Could these be causing the issue? I've read of some people experiencing problems when using them, however, I have been using these adaptors for 2 years without any issues whatsoever. But again, I wouldn't expect this to cause the hub to lose it's broadband connection, I would have just expected the PC to be isolated.

NoSirItWasntMe - it's a desktop PC and it doesn't have a wifi connection...but as above, I might be able to try connecting using  along Ethernet cable if the Powerline adaptors could be suspect. All other devices connected via WiFi are operating faultlessly. 

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 5 of 14

Go to solution

@DIB27 wrote:

Thanks Keith....I think that's unlikely though. This happens even when the PC is the only device being used. I'm r

Just something else to add though which might help - the PC is connected via Powerline adaptors. Could these be causing the issue? I've read of some people experiencing problems when using them, however, I have been using these adaptors for 2 years without any issues whatsoever. But again, I wouldn't expect this to cause the hub to lose it's broadband connection, I would have just expected the PC to be isolated.

See Important - Using powerline adapters or broadband extenders

Does this apply to you?

Powerline adapters also use similar frequencies as broadband, so they can affect the broadband performance if the signals from them, get into the phone wiring.

0 Ratings
NoSirItWasntMe
Contributor
Message 6 of 14

Go to solution

@DIB27 It’s just part of a process of elimination, try connecting directly to the hub with an Ethernet cable would eliminate a problem with the adapter upstairs 

0 Ratings
DIB27
Aspiring Contributor
Message 7 of 14

Go to solution

Thanks Keith...unfortuatnely, I can't see that link at the moment - I'm at work and our firewall wont let me open certain links during working hours. I've tried accessing the link using my phone, but it tells me that I am "not accessing the Forumhelp (private) website from a BT Broadband connection."

I will check out the link when I get home and see if I can get hold of a long cable in the meantime to eliminate the Powerline...at least I now have a suspect! I will update the thread later, but thankyou both for now 🙂

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 8 of 14

Go to solution

@DIB27

Fine about the website link. Looking at my website log, it looks like it may have been an O2 mobile you were using.

There is a diagram on that link I gave, which may be a bit large for you to see on a mobile phone unless you have a large screen, so you may be better to wait until you get home.

If you have a large screen mobile, then I can make a temporary domain exception for O2, so you can see the diagram.

0 Ratings
DIB27
Aspiring Contributor
Message 9 of 14

Go to solution

Thanks Keith, but don't worry, I will wait until I get home, not much point in me looking at work.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 10 of 14

Go to solution

@DIB27 wrote:

Thanks Keith, but don't worry, I will wait until I get home, not much point in me looking at work.

No problem, its just that I have to impose domain restrictions on my webserver, otherwise I get totally swamped by "bots", Web Spiders, and mischief makers.

I have a very limited upload bandwidth anyway, as as the information on my website is only intended for BT broadband customers, its not a problem.

You would have been directed to my very limited public website, as there are people who have other BT products, but not BT Broadband.

I have added an exttra link which you may like to look at when you get home. It may also be of interest to others.

Interference to broadband caused by powerline adapers or broadband extenders

0 Ratings