Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Hen4732
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 45

BT SmartHub Purple Flashing Light of Doom

Go to solution

Sunday 13:00 the Purple Pink Flashing light of doom starts on the SmartHub.

Cables replaced, hub rebooted, hub factory reset, hub turned off for 15 minutes, hub swapped, all to no avail, no broadband signal reaching house.

Log a support call, wait for automated diagnostics to fail, 20 minutes.

Live Chat human #1 (at least I assume they were trying to sound human) - pointless exercise as they followed some script which had nothing to do with the problem.  Then they sensed my frustration and switched to the 1970's amateur physcologist script - "I am here to help you" & "I will make it better"

Result:- No can't fix it will need to book engineer

Wednesday......  3 days from now....

I only work from home, upload my medical information to my doctor 3 times daily for them to monitor, it's not like broadband is important to me.....

Monday, try to converse with Live Chat human being #2 - Who copies and pastes into the chat window "You have engineer booked Wednesday."  - Chat disconnected

Wednesday - engineer arrives with official looking bag, tools, changes router RJ11 cable, connects new router, purple light of doom.  "Nothing I can do, the problem is not in the house."  No kidding, 30 years of networking experience told me that on Sunday......

Engineer leaves, with the hopeful words "I saw some OpenReach vans in the village, maybe they're dealing with a problem?"  and Whoosh he was gone......

Live Chat to Human #3 - Broken English, terrible grammar, limited vocabulary. (I paraphrase here.....) "I have escalated your complaint to 'Level 2' they should give you a call before 18:00 tomorrow.  I have asked my manager...."  queue quick tea break, not actually escalating anything, return to chat 8 minutes later "No, nothing can be done, I am sorry you are frustrated."

So nothing, no progress, 3 wasted days, a very poor excuse for a service, absolutely shocking.

There should be escalating financial penalties for this type of thing, I know I would be unemployed in a second if I treated my customers with such braisen disdain. 

BT have done such a good job of hiding the complaints procedure behind totally incompetent staff that you cannot achieve anything.

Why did I switch my broadband to BT Infinity?  This sorry shower of excrement?

0 Ratings
44 REPLIES 44
Distinguished Guru
Distinguished Guru
Message 2 of 45

Re: BT SmartHub Purple Flashing Light of Doom

Go to solution

Which exchange are you on?

Do you have a dial tone on your phone?

0 Ratings
Hen4732
Aspiring Contributor
Message 3 of 45

Go to solution

Cranleigh Exchange Surrey - No issues reported online, by phone checker or when I phoned up to check in person.

Yes I can use my home phone

0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Distinguished Guru
Message 4 of 45

Go to solution

That rules out a line fault or cab fault.

You need an Openreach engineer to resolve the issue.

A mod should be along soon.

Message 5 of 45

Go to solution

Hi @Hen4732,

I checked the Cranleigh exchange VLAN's and all appears to be ok. As @pippincp said it'd be good if we could help you. To get in touch with us, click on my user name and then copy and paste the link under "Moderation Team Email Address" into your browser.  Complete that form and we'll get back in touch with you.

Thanks

DanielS

Community ModeratorDannyS
Did you get the help you needed?
Help others by clicking on ‘Mark as accepted solution’
Show your appreciation!
Click on the star next to a reply to say thanks
Help guide to using the community? Click below
Kudos”Kudos”
Hen4732
Aspiring Contributor
Message 6 of 45

Go to solution

Thank you Daniel, I have followed your instructions and logged the query.

0 Ratings
Hen4732
Aspiring Contributor
Message 7 of 45

Go to solution

My fault was closed as "You told us it was fixed"  - Did I!  like hell I did!  WTF!  

Spoke to Live Chat Human #4 and #5 - (#4 joined chat and left without so much as a hello)

Went through the whole thing again, was asked "What did the engineer yesterday say the problem was?"  - Really!  Your own engineer who did nothing useful on site filled in no notes so you have no idea what the issue update is and then closed the support call as fixed leaving me without internet for another day!

So the discussion proved lively, I managed to convince Amit, for't was his name, that I did not need an engineer visiting the house swapping cables but an OpenReach engineer to check the Exchange, Line Card and Cabinet.

Queue long wait.......

Amit assured me a Wholesale Engineer could be booked, for next week!  WTF! 

Since the first time I had dial up internet in 1992, I have never had a fault like this, handled in this way for this long.  It's 2018, my colleagues across the globe are laughing at the complete joke this country's infrastructure is in.

In the meantime I have bought a MiFi device, racking up quite a data usage bill, it will definitely be going to BT Management & OFCOM after this fiasco comes to a close.

0 Ratings
Message 8 of 45

Go to solution

Hi @Hen4732 Sorry that the fault has been closed and it's not been fixed. I've checked and you are near the top of our queue and one of the team will be in touch to help you with this soon.

Thanks
John

Community ModeratorJohnC
Show your appreciation!
Kudos”Kudos”
Hen4732
Aspiring Contributor
Message 9 of 45

Go to solution

It might very well be that on Monday, Robbie, the first person to actually listen to me, will be phoning to check that the fault has beeen rectified.

We will wait until Monday and find out!  Either way, good on you Robbie for having some very good customer service skills!

0 Ratings
Message 10 of 45

Go to solution

@Hen4732 Thanks for the kind feedback for @RobbieMac I'll make sure he sees it. 

Community ModeratorNeilO
Show your appreciation!
Kudos”Kudos”
0 Ratings