Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
tomwalsh77
Contributor
Message 1 of 13

BT SmartHub keeps dropping internet connection

Hi all,

my internet connection keeps dropping, probably about 3 or 4 times a day. Firstly, devices connected via wifi lose connection. When this happens, I can see the my wifi in the list of networks on my iphone and when I tap on it to join it, it gives a 'wrong password' error even though the password is correct. After 10-15 minutes the SmartHub restarts itself and all devices can connect again.

This is a fairly recent problem after having no problems with the smart hub since I got it when it was released, so not sure if this problem happenend after a firmware update (just speculating). Can anyone offer any advice on how i can fix this?

Thanks 🙂

0 Ratings
12 REPLIES 12
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 13

Re: BT SmartHub keeps dropping internet connection

Have you tried a factory reset to ensure the firmware update installed correctly - press the recessed button on the back and hold until the lights flash about 20/30 seconds. If you do factory reset remember turn off smart setup

can you post stats from hub. Advanced settings then technical log information 

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
tomwalsh77
Contributor
Message 3 of 13

@imjollywrote:

Have you tried a factory reset to ensure the firmware update installed correctly - press the recessed button on the back and hold until the lights flash about 20/30 seconds. If you do factory reset remember turn off smart setup

can you post stats from hub. Advanced settings then technical log information 

Hi,

yes I’ve done a factory reset but the issue remains. Below is the technical log information as requested:

Product name:

BT Hub 6A

Serial number:

+084319+NQ61931740

Firmware version:

SG4B1000B540

Firmware updated:

29-Mar-2018

Board version:

Gui version:

DSL uptime:

0 Days, 4 Hours 58 Minutes 22 Seconds

Data rate:

20.00 Mbps / 74.00 Mbps

Maximum data rate:

22922 / 76098

Noise margin:

6.6 dB / 6.5 dB

Line attenuation:

17.7 dB

Signal attenuation:

VPI / VCI:

0/38

Modulation:

G_993_2_ANNEX_B

Latency type:

Fast Path

Data sent / received:

18263 MB Uploaded / 19941 MB Downloaded

Broadband username:

bthomehub@btbroadband.com

BT Wi-fi:

Not active

2.4 GHz wireless network name:

BTHub6-GZPM

2.4 GHz wireless channel:

Smart (Channel 1)

5 GHz wireless network name:

BTHub6-GZPM-5

5 GHz wireless channel:

Smart (Channel 36)

Wireless security:

WPA2 (Recommended)

Wireless mode:

Mode 1

Firewall:

On

MAC address:

90:4D:4A:08:19:05

Software variant:

-

Boot loader:

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 13

Normally with that number of resets per day I would have expected your noise margin to be high and your connection speed well below the attainable speed - it's not in your case they look ok

have you tried quiet line test. Dial 17070 option 2 should be quiet and best done with corded phone

have you tried using the test socket with a filter to see if that stabilises your connect by eliminating your internal wiring

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
Highlighted
tomwalsh77
Contributor
Message 5 of 13

@imjollywrote:

Normally with that number of resets per day I would have expected your noise margin to be high and your connection speed well below the attainable speed - it's not in your case they look ok

have you tried quiet line test. Dial 17070 option 2 should be quiet and best done with corded phone

have you tried using the test socket with a filter to see if that stabilises your connect by eliminating your internal wiring

I haven't yet tried the quiet line test and to be honest I'm not exactly sure what it is. We don't even use our phone for phone calls so will have to borrow a phone from someone. 

I haven't tried the test socket with a filter, again I'm not sure what you mean by this. Can you please explain in layman's terms?

0 Ratings
tomwalsh77
Contributor
Message 6 of 13

Update:

I've just done the quiet line test and it was indeed quiet with no crackling so I'm thinking the line is ok?

0 Ratings
tomwalsh77
Contributor
Message 7 of 13

If anyone could shed some light on why my internet might be dropping out, I’d be extremely grateful. There seems to be a lot of problems with the super hub looking around on the forums, perhaps it’s some kind of hardware fault?
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 8 of 13

Have you tried using the test socket to see if that stabilises your connection by eliminating your internal wiring 

test-socket-thumb.jpgtest socket.jpg

the black arrow shows test socket in above socket

can you post stats from new hh6 

i use a hh6 and have no problems. There are 1000's in use and it is only people with a problem who post here. Very seldom does anyone post saying hub works ok

0 Ratings
jstephenson
Message 9 of 13

I’m experiencing the same, I’ve had the Smart Hub for a long time with no problems, but over the last three days it’s been horrendous, BT have been no help at all!!
Blue_star
Beginner
Message 10 of 13

Glad I’m not the only one. Internet has been terrible this week keep dropping out and low bandwidth (with no other devises using it)

I wonder if it has aneything to do with the new fibre product they are currently peddling??