cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 13

BT Speeds (VDSL)

Go to solution

Good Afternoon,

I wonder if someone can assist in regards to my broadband speeds. I am currently subscribed to the BT Infinity 2 package (80/20) FTTC using a DrayTek 2860.  My attainable speeds a few years back were 80Mbps down and 20Mbps up (my property is very close the cabinet). 

Overtime, my down speeds have gradually degraded and the attainable rate according to my router is 73,832 Kbps. However, the actual rate is 63,783 Kbps.  Upload actual rate is 20,000 Kbps with an attainable rate of 23,849 Kbps.

When conducting speed tests using an ethernet to router connection, I am scraping around 55Mbps down (fast.com, speedtest.com), using different mirrors to get an average mean.

Is there anything I can do to try and get these speeds up? It's very frustrating, considering I was once getting a true 80Mbps down.

Screenshot 2022-02-05 at 1.37.06 pm.png

Screenshot 2022-02-05 at 1.42.01 pm.png

Screenshot 2022-02-05 at 2.12.00 pm.png

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Router Details:
Vigor2860ac

Router Firmware / Modem Code:
3.9.1 BT / AnnexA_576d17_572801

0 Ratings
12 REPLIES 12
Message 2 of 13

Re: BT Speeds (VDSL)

Go to solution

Is your router connected in the master socket  ?, are you using a interstitial faceplate ? , try connecting the router , using a separate filter , in the test socket of the NTE5 , and recheck router stats , but first using a corded phone in the test port of the master socket ( unless on digital voice ) dial 17070 , take the quiet line test ,the line should be noise free, if it isn’t report a noise problem.

Message 3 of 13

Go to solution

Good Afternoon iniltous, 

Thank you for your reply. 

The router is connected to an Openreach Mk3 interstitial faceplate. I shall try a separate filter.

Will it make any difference as we were moved over to BT Digital Voice (not that we use it), I believe BT decommissioned our old ISDN line as they also lost our telephone number in the process.

Many thanks, 

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 13

Go to solution

if you are on DV the quite line test is of no use

you can still try connecting to test socket with a filter to see if that helps connection speed

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
Message 5 of 13

Go to solution

UPDATE

Following your advise iniltous, I removed the Mk3 faceplate and plugged a brand new microfilter directly in to the port, there was a marginal improvement on the attainable downstream rate. 

Screenshot 2022-02-06 at 12.27.25 pm.pngScreenshot 2022-02-06 at 12.27.37 pm.png

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 13

Go to solution

which exchange and cabinet are you on as that was removed from dslchecker result?

are you having problems with router dropping connection?

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
Message 7 of 13

Go to solution

Hi imjolly,

Thank you for taking the time to reply.

The connection is really stable and doesn't drop at all.

The problem I have is everyone in the household are heavy users of the internet (streaming, teleworking, etc). Originally, the speeds were 80/20 through VDSL2 and worked fine for a number of years without hitch.. recently, the speeds have dropped to around 60/20 (which seems like a substantial drop).

Unfortunately, FTTP is not available in our area and the 5G infrastructure is not quite there yet so the only option I have is FTTC.

The exchange which serves our connection is SWEBY and is served by Cabinet 18. 

I feel terrible grizzling over a 20Mbps drop, however it has made a notable difference, particularly when multiple users are simultaneously using the internet. 

Many thanks,

0 Ratings
Message 8 of 13

Go to solution

like me you are on an ECI cab and as such there is no boost from G.INP

0 Ratings
Message 9 of 13

Go to solution

Well, I did some further digging and found some information on SNR parameters. After lowing the SNR margin, my speeds resumed!

Screenshot 2022-02-06 at 1.56.24 pm.png

Thank you everyone!

0 Ratings
Message 10 of 13

Go to solution

with broadband noise margin down as low as 2db you are going to be susceptible to drops in connection triggering the DLM