cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
iniltous
Recognised Expert
Message 11 of 25

Re: BT Superfast Fibre 2 Unlimited: Speed reduced to around 40Mbps

Your sync rate from your last post is now 51Mb download and 18Mb upload, this is an improvement on when your master socket is assembled and your extension sockets are connected....just because you don't have anything connected in your extension sockets doesn't mean they cannot affect your broadband, so if you don't use the extension sockets ( and if you don't have anything plugged into them presumably you don't) you could remove the wiring from the removable section of the master socket, permanently disconnecting the sockets, then reassemble the master , to maintain you improved sync speed....

51Mb is still a little low , but unless there is an unknown socket wired incorrectly somewhere , then presumably connected in the test port gives you the optimal line speed

0 Ratings
Dhiammara
Aspiring Contributor
Message 12 of 25

Thank you. I could see there was a small difference. My concern isn't the difference between the 51Mb and the 49Mb, but rather that the speed tests have gone down from approx. 55Mbps to the 40-42Mbps range which is below the guaranteed minimum rate (without the master socket). I'm not talking about the technical log sync rates but the speed rates we were actually getting on tests. It's the drop in speed that I'm seeking an explanation for...

I wouldn't make any changes to wiring myself, and the extensions could prove useful in the future.

@iniltouswrote:

Your sync rate from your last post is now 51Mb download and 18Mb upload, this is an improvement on when your master socket is assembled and your extension sockets are connected....just because you don't have anything connected in your extension sockets doesn't mean they cannot affect your broadband, so if you don't use the extension sockets ( and if you don't have anything plugged into them presumably you don't) you could remove the wiring from the removable section of the master socket, permanently disconnecting the sockets, then reassemble the master , to maintain you improved sync speed....

51Mb is still a little low , but unless there is an unknown socket wired incorrectly somewhere , then presumably connected in the test port gives you the optimal line speed

0 Ratings
iniltous
Recognised Expert
Message 13 of 25

How are you measuring your speed, if it's using WiFi , then no provider guarantees a speed over WiFi, if it's using a Ethernet wired device ( desktop PC or laptop connected by ethernet for example) then you should get close the the rate at which the router is connected ( 51Mb)....that fact that your sync rate showed an improvement suggests that your home wiring isn't brilliant, disconnecting it if you don't use it seems a logical thing to do.

If your issue is that on the same wireless device,( tablet/phone)  you were getting 'faster' speeds previously compared to now, it could be interference from nearby device using the same wifi channel, or some other 'local environment issue' that is causing your wifi speed to reduce...ISP's won't be interested in wifi speed issues as there are too may variables, the rate at which you sync is what they will be interested in

0 Ratings
Message 14 of 25

Your Sync Rate is managed by the DLM in the DSLAM.

Your Sync Rate is constant until the DLM changes it or it’s manually reset.

If Star Wiring or a fault lowers your Sync Rate and the fault or Star Wiring is suddenly removed the DLM won’t immediately go straight back to its Max Rate. It’s a gradual process that can take days even weeks unless it’s a forced reset.
0 Ratings
Dhiammara
Aspiring Contributor
Message 15 of 25

Hi iniltous,

We measured the speeds over WiFi, and it's consistent over multiple devices (pcs/macbooks/tablets/phones). However, that doesn't explain why over WiFi we've had speeds of above 55Mbps since install. The sync rate on the test plate is less than that WiFi speed now, and is now below the guaranteed minimum speed, which is 55Mbps. 

As for the wiring, it will be from when the house was built (2004) and there are seven extensions from construction (albeit not in the one room I would have liked one for a fax).

Should I cancel the engineer appointment for Thursday? The operator I spoke to said she had identified a fault (after intially saying there wasn't) but wouldn't give specifics what the fault was, and was more interested in getting my husband to agree to an £85 charge if the fault was found in our equipment. The subsequent confirmation email was also more related to 40% of engineer visits are within a customer's home whereby BT will charge.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Dhiammara
Aspiring Contributor
Message 16 of 25

@Starwire2000 I appreciate your replies, but don't understand them. In your previous post you mentioned SSFP, NTE and star wiring - terms which I do not understand. I'm an end user who just wants the speeds back that we had previously - in excess of 55Mbps. Please can you advise what you meant in your previous post  and this one as I don't know what DLM or DSLAM are either.

I did ask in my earlier reply to your post whether 'star wiring could potentially still be present and affecting the speed when connected to the test socket?'

@Starwire2000wrote:
Your Sync Rate is managed by the DLM in the DSLAM.

Your Sync Rate is constant until the DLM changes it or it’s manually reset.

If Star Wiring or a fault lowers your Sync Rate and the fault or Star Wiring is suddenly removed the DLM won’t immediately go straight back to its Max Rate. It’s a gradual process that can take days even weeks unless it’s a forced reset.

Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 17 of 25

This is very basic but it might help

SSFP – Service Specific Face Plate…. The face plate of your phone socket

NTE – Network Termination Equipment …. Your phone socket

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/British_telephone_socket

DLM – Dynamic Line Management

https://community.plus.net/t5/Library/FTTC-DLM-What-it-is-How-it-works/ba-p/1322799

DSLAM – Digital Subscriber Line Access Multiplexer

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Digital_subscriber_line_access_multiplexer

Star Wiring....

Star wiring.jpg

Dhiammara
Aspiring Contributor
Message 18 of 25

Thank you @gg30340, although it's not really helping me to determine what's going on. I posted the results you requested earlier from the test socket after it had been connected more than three hours. 

What should we do now? Obviously, connected to the test plate the speeds are less than what we used to get over WiFi speed tests with the same setup. Should we still have the engineer visit, or is it a pointless exercise?

As a consumer I'm of the understanding that the minimum guaranteed rate would mean that that speed (to the test socket) should be at or in excess of that rate. Obviously we experienced rates of 55MBps over WiFI and that isn't happening anymore, but the rate at the test plate is lower as well.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 19 of 25

In my opinion you have eliminated your internal wiring from being the problem.

The speed that BT guarantee is the connection speed not download speeds and your connection speed is showing about 51Mbps.

https://bt.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/35296/~/your-line-speed-explained

I would allow the engineer to visit because you are below the speed that you should get going by your estimate checker which shows you should be getting somewhere between 58Mbps and 79Mbps which along with the guaranteed speeds when you first signed up is obviously higher than you are presently getting..

Dhiammara
Aspiring Contributor
Message 20 of 25

@gg30340 Thank you so much for your help and your clear explanation. We'll go ahead with the engineer visit.

0 Ratings