cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Dhiammara
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 25

BT Superfast Fibre 2 Unlimited: Speed reduced to around 40Mbps

We had Superfast Fibre 2 Unlimited installed at the end of March 2018. When we placed the speed estimates provided by email were: 'We estimate your download speed will be between 63Mbps and 80Mbps, and your upload speed will be between 19Mbps and 20Mbps. 

The minimum guaranteed speed you can expect from your broadband will be 55Mbps. '

When the service went live we did indeed receive speeds of 55Mbps or above.  We hadn't consistently monitored the speed since, but had the feeling that the speed wasn't so fast so have monitored it over the last week or so and are consistently receiving around 40-42Mbps  download and 13Mbps upload which is less that the minimum guaranteed speed. I contacted BT about this today, and after an hour on the phone, the lady has organised an engineer to come out on Thursday after identifying a potential fault, although she wouldn't elaborate as to what that was, and was more interested in insisting that she have authorisation from my husband in case we needed to be charged £85 for a callout. This, of course, wound me up, as there is a password on the account for me to deal with the account, but she wouldn't even ask for the password. Grrr.

I had almost forgotten about this forum, so thought someone here might be able to identify what the problem actually is (although an engineer is booked). We have not had any engineer visits previously, but have seen Openreach working on the cabinets in the road next to ours within the last couple of weeks (which supply our property as well). The BT representative did ask if I had a screwdriver to unscrew the screws on the master socket but I readlly didn't feel comfortable doing so and declined; I have always believed the master socket should only be worked on by an engineer and didn't want to be responsible for any damage to wiring. 

The router has not been up long, as I had disconnected it during the testing prior to the call. From reading previous posts, I've also switched off Smart Setup but that has made no difference. Here are the test results for the router.

Screenshot (5).pngHH6 data

Screenshot (9)_LI.jpg

We do experience occasional disconnections. Also, my father recently changed his package and received a new Home Hub 6 which he gave to me to test our connection. The new Home Hub 6 consistently receives the same speeds so we reverted back to our own Home Hub 6. We have no issues with our landline.

Would appreciate any thoughts/ideas as I'm concerned we're going to get a potential charge of £85 just for asking why we're not getting the guaranteed minimum speed.

Thank you in advance.

0 Ratings
24 REPLIES 24
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 25

Re: BT Superfast Fibre 2 Unlimited: Speed reduced to around 40Mbps

Is there any noise on your phone calls? Dial 17070 and select option 2, there should be no noise between the announcements.

The connection speed may have reduced, as more users were connected to the cabinet, as that introduces crosstalk.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 3 of 25

To eliminate any problems with your house wiring and to avoid the £85 charge if there is, you should connect the Smarthub to the master socket/ test socket and if your problem is still there it could indicate that there is a line fault before the test socket on BT's side. You will need a filter in order to make the connection from the hub to the test socket.

When you use the test socket make sure that any telephone extensions you have are "dead". There should be no dial tone at any of your phone extensions. If they have a dial tone it means you have star wiring and that is not good for Infinity and will need to be fixed.

Leave your hub connect to the test socket for a few hours then re-run your speed test to see if it has improved and also re-post the hub stats.

Test socket.jpg

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 25

have you tried using test socket with filter to see if the improves your connection even if you have a filtered master socket. You are permitted to remove master front plate to use the test socket.  This will also help show if problem in your home or outside and possibly avoid any charge

if you use test socket can you repost hub statstest socket.jpg

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Dhiammara
Aspiring Contributor
Message 5 of 25

The Home Hub 6 is connected to the master socket; there is a filter in situ and the Go Box for phone and router are the only connections to the filter. No other sockets are used in the house, although there are sockets in most rooms and are functional. The previous owners had misidentified the master socket and had their router plugged in another room. None of our phones have wiring for a socket (just the Siemens Go Box). I’ll check to see if we still have an old BT phone that I can use in another socket while the Test socket is being used. I gather from your post that when the Test socket is in use this should deactivate other extensions if there isn’t star wiring?
0 Ratings
Dhiammara
Aspiring Contributor
Message 6 of 25

We have not noticed any noise during calls, but to be honest, don’t make many landline calls. The result when calling 17070 (from a cordless Siemen’s Gigaset) was pretty clear; there was an almost imperceptible click every two seconds or so but that was very, very faint.
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 7 of 25

When you have removed the plate on the master socket to give access to the test socket this should disconnect your extensions so they should all be "dead". If you can still get a dial tone at them it means you have star wiring which is a problem.

There should be no noise when you do the quiet line test. That means there should be no clicking.

0 Ratings
Dhiammara
Aspiring Contributor
Message 8 of 25

I found the old BT phone, checked it was operational and had a dial tone.  I then conducted the quiet line test with the BT phone as well; same result - very, very, almost imperceptible clicks at regular intervals.

I then removed the plate from the master socket to give access to the test socket.At this point all the extensions went dead, so that's good news at least; rules out star wiring.

I did check the hub technical log again just now (but will also leave it for a few hours as suggested). The initial result of a speedtest was 43.29Mbps from the test socket, as opposed to the 42Mbps immediately before and the (early) technical log is here:Screenshot (12).pngTest socket result (30 mins)

0 Ratings
Message 9 of 25

‘I then removed the plate from the master socket to give access to the test socket.At this point all the extensions went dead, so that's good news at least; rules out star wiring.’

Unless you have an SSFP Connected to your NTE then Star Wiring Present after the NTE can still cause a Sync Issues.
0 Ratings
Dhiammara
Aspiring Contributor
Message 10 of 25

Now, I’m confused. I’m an end user just following instructions. I thought that was why I had to test the extensions were dead after removing the master socket faceplate; to rule out star wiring. What is SSFP and what is an NTE? Also, I've no idea what star wiring is, only that it's doesn't sound that it's good (see post above).

The technical log from being connected to the test socket for 3 hour 22 mins were:

Screenshot (14).pngTest socket results 3 hours 22 mins

At this point, the speed test showed 43.3 Mbps. When I reverted back to the master socket point the speed test result was 42.3Mbps (it's currently 41.6Mbps just now).

So, are you saying that star wiring could potentially still be present and affecting the speed when connected to the test socket?

I'm just trying to establish why we're not getting speeds around 55Mbps and above, which we were when the fibre broadband went live in the area at the end of March 2018, until recently. We haven't had any changes made to our wiring/phone setup during this time.

0 Ratings