cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Dhiammara
Aspiring Contributor
Message 21 of 25

Re: BT Superfast Fibre 2 Unlimited: Speed reduced to around 40Mbps

Update: BT phoned this morning to advise a fault had been found at the exchange, an engineer no longer needed to attend so the engineer visit had been cancelled for Thursday. We were advised to check our connection on Wednesday evening. This afternoon an engineer phoned - he was at the exchange and wanted to check at the house as well as he was only 5-10 minutes away.

The cabinet shows full speed, but the connection on the road near our property showed only 53Mbps so the 51Mbps to the test socket is likely to be as good as we're going to get. He made the decision to change the master socket to an SSFP type so we don't need the filter anymore, and advised not connecting the extensions so the extensions in the house are now dead. 

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 22 of 25

Because the engineer changed your master socket it might be construed that there was a  problem in your property so if I were you I would keep an eye on your BT bill. If you do get charged post back because changing the socket did not resolve anything and was done after establishing there was a poor line from the cabinet to your property.

Distinguished Guru
Distinguished Guru
Message 23 of 25

Any charge raised would be dependant on the report submitted by the engineer when he/she signed off the job and if BT were charged by Openreach.

I doubt very much a charge would be raised on this job.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 24 of 25

@pippincp wrote:

Any charge raised would be dependant on the report submitted by the engineer when he/she signed off the job and if BT were charged by Openreach.

I doubt very much a charge would be raised on this job.

I doubt it as well but it is not unknown for charges to be levied in similar circumstances when it is checked by the bean counters who make the decision whether or not it is chargeable after the engineer has submitted his report hence my suggestion to keep an eye on the next bill.

0 Ratings
Dhiammara
Aspiring Contributor
Message 25 of 25

@gg30340 , @pippincp I certainly do not expect to be charged under the circumstances so will definitely keep an eye on the bill and post back if that happens. Bear in mind we'd already been told our engineer visit for Thursday was cancelled as a fault had been identified at the exchange. When the engineer called he said he was nearby and had seen that a job was booked was Thursday; I told him about the call I'd received in the morning and he said that  it would help to check in the house and he would pop round in the next 5-10mins. He was very amiable.

On entering the room he said it was an older style socket and that he would change it to the updated SSFP. At this point he had not tested anything. He then tested the original socket; said it was a lower reading than expected, and would then go and check the cabinet. He did mention his phone (diagnostic I assume) was being problematic as he'd got it wet at some point recently. When he came back he said that the cabinet was at full speed and that he had also tested outside another property on the road which was showing 53Mbps so concurred that the 51Mbps we were getting was as good as we could get. He then did what he said he was going to do and changed the master socket, asked if we wanted to have the extensions disconnected (he advised not to reconnect them as did others in this thread) after he'd screwed it to the wall and then left after the router had reconnected. He did try to connect his own phone to the router to test, but couldn't get it to connect, said this was common  with HomeHub6 and phones (which we already know) and said he preferred the HomeHub5. He then left. 

We weren't asked if we wanted the new master socket and it's made no difference to our speed (over WiFi we're still getting around 42Mbps).

This is the technical log now:Screenshot (16).pngMaster socket (post engineer visit)

@gg30340wrote:

Because the engineer changed your master socket it might be construed that there was a  problem in your property so if I were you I would keep an eye on your BT bill. If you do get charged post back because changing the socket did not resolve anything and was done after establishing there was a poor line from the cabinet to your property.

0 Ratings