cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
robby2k9
Aspiring Expert
Message 81 of 132

Re: BT Ultrafast fibre broadband

You can't. I had the same problem, box was live according to Openreach but not offered by BT (or anyone else). It was nearly 9 weeks before BT offered the product. Apparently this is not unusual, you just have to be patient, my service appeared on BT's website on the first Monday in Sept. There seems to be a long delay between Openreach updating their site & the ISPs getting the updated information.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
robby2k9
Aspiring Expert
Message 82 of 132

As I mentioned above, it was several weeks before BT offered Ultrafast once the cabinet went live. 2 months on & I've just learnt via a neighbour that TalkTalk ultrafast still isn't available in our area, so he's looking to move ISP. So it looks like the ISPs are dragging their heels when it comes to G.FAST.

0 Ratings
Sage
Sage
Message 83 of 132

That is the ISP's problem. Neither Talk Talk nor Sky as well as other smaller ones have offered their customers G.Fast or FTTP even though it is available to them on the same terms and price as BT get from BTWholesale.

0 Ratings
AdamGilbride
Beginner
Message 84 of 132

Hi everyone, and Happy New Year!

My cabinet (cabinet 44 on Clarence Road in Windsor) has the Ultrafast extension unit fitted, and has done since July or August 2018 (I think). The Wholesale checker doesn’t say anything about it, however. Does anyone know how long it takes from the cabinet being upgraded to the service actually being made available?

I also think I'm right on the boundary for being offered Ultrafast. I'm about 210m as the crow flies / 300m walking distance from the cabinet, but who knows what route the phone line takes. Would this preclude me?

Many thanks in advance!

0 Ratings
conrad
Recognised Expert
Message 85 of 132

Mine took 2 months to go live not that I can afford it.

You may well be too far to get G.fast  - what does this link say for your phone line and for an address nearer the pod    https://www.homeandbusiness.openreach.co.uk/fibre-broadband/when-can-i-get-fibre

AdamGilbride
Beginner
Message 86 of 132

Great link - thanks, Conrad. You're spot on - my address says Superfast, where-as an address that is closer says 'accepting ultrafast orders'. Boooo!
0 Ratings
MYKEU
Contributor
Message 87 of 132

Just a note from my experience recently with Ultrafast:

I purchased Ultrafast Fibre 1 after realising I could get it (based on my postcode) a few weeks ago. Once I got it, I thought it would be a funny idea to check out what kind of upgrades I could get. The services checker informed me that I could get Ultrafast Fibre 2 (with a speed range of 310-314Mbps) based on my phone line - so I obviously ugraded.

However, I am actually only getting speeds of a maximum of 154Mbps - which is pretty much the same as Ultrafast Fibre 1. After a few engineer visits to understand why, it turns out that the speed drops significantly the further away you are from the cabinet (I'm around 240 meters away from it). 

So because the upgrade services checker presented me with Ultrafast Fibre 2 based on my phone line, I can't actually get close to those speeds as I live far away from the cabinet  - meaning I have upgraded for no reason.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 88 of 132

@MYKEU wrote:

Just a note from my experience recently with Ultrafast:

So because the upgrade services checker presented me with Ultrafast Fibre 2 based on my phone line, I can't actually get close to those speeds as I live far away from the cabinet  - meaning I have upgraded for no reason.

That is how the speed checker determines predicted speeds and should have been fairly accurate. It knows the distance you are from the cabinet and usually underestimates speed rather than overestimates it. It is possible you have aluminium cabling to your premises which will seriously affect projected speed.

0 Ratings
MYKEU
Contributor
Message 89 of 132

The engineer who visited mentioned about how aluminium cables could affect my speeds, but he didn't find any leading towards my premise.

That being said, I also read somewhere how distance does affect the speeds you can achieve with G.fast - and how it drops the further away you are.

I'm not 100% convinced that the service checker when upgrading (https://www.bt.com/broadband/upgrade/) knows of my address (it asks for my phone number).

If I use the service checker on the new customer broadband page (https://www.bt.com/broadband/deals/), it asks for my post code and does not offer me Ultrafast Fibre 2 (the fastest package I can see is Ultrafast Fibre 1 at an average of 145Mbps).

On the upgrade page however, it asks for my phone number which only then gives me the option to have Ultrafast Fibre 2.

If I could reach 300Mbps+ to begin with, why was I not offered Ultrafast Fibre 2 when I check the services with my post code?

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 90 of 132

All broadband is affected by distance and the faster the product the steeper the attenuation/distance curve. G.fast drops off very sharply with distance and is only offered up to 300 meters from the cabinet.

https://www.dslchecker.bt.com/ is the definitive speed checker.