cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Retrovertigo
Aspiring Expert
Message 121 of 132

Re: BT Ultrafast fibre broadband

Well so far I'm a touch disappointed with Ultrafast 2. It says I am locked on at 330 odd meg, and doing a speedtest on my phone with the BT app shows over 300 meg. But so far at least, I haven't seen an actual download speed (usually from buying stuff on the Xbox store, of more than 240 meg.

I know that is a lot faster than the 70-80 meg I was getting on Infinity 2, but the street cabinet is literally 10-20 meters from my flat, and I was hoping to really max out the connection.

Of course, it could be down to Microsoft servers when purchasing from them, but usually they are great at giving you maximum bandwidth to download.

I'll see how things settle over the next week or so.

0 Ratings
ZooBurner
Aspiring Expert
Message 122 of 132

A connection is only effectively as fast as the server supplying the data, my ultrafast always is stable at around 310m and about 48m up.  It's very stable, never had a single drop out watching streaming media, its great for me.

Though i have to say that was true of my superfast connection too (speed aside) I'm not sure it really was a practical upgrade.

ukguy
Beginner
Message 123 of 132

Some servers themselves only run on 100mbit connections, althougb I'd expect that Microsoft were on 1Gbit/10Gbit

However, if you happen to download when many others are it can slow you or maybe they have some throttling.

I also remember someone telling me that the FTTP service works different to FTTC in that it's a totally different connection so it's affected by contention way back in the network.

jchasty
Beginner
Message 124 of 132

Hi, the DSL checker finally says I can get FTTP!  

Screen Shot 2019-03-28 at 20.31.03.png

The BT website also says I can get Ultra Fast Fibre Plus 2 at 300Mbps...sounds great....but....

A few questions:

1. Why can't I order a full-fat 1Gbps FTTP connection?    
  2. What is "KCI2 Assure"?
  3. If I'm greedy, can I order two FTTP 'lines'?

Thanks!

john

0 Ratings
brookheather
Aspiring Expert
Message 125 of 132

@jchastywrote:

A few questions:

1. Why can't I order a full-fat 1Gbps FTTP connection?    
  2. What is "KCI2 Assure"?
  3. If I'm greedy, can I order two FTTP 'lines'?

1. Because no-one sells the 500 or 1000Mbps FTTP connections currently.

2. I think it means you will need a survey before installation as OR will need to run a cable from your pavement box or pole to your house so will require some building work first before they can install an ONT.

3. Yes you can have a 4 port ONT with four FTTP connections.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Distinguished Guru
Message 126 of 132

Re points 2 & 3.

2) KCI 2 Assure means there will be no delay for survey work etc. Previously with legacy installs there would be a KCI 2 message to the ISP ( after 8 days) that a survey needed to be carried out to confirm the order. KCI 2 Assure avoids that.

3) Openreach are now only installing single port ONT's. Previously only one port would be active. Residential are limited to one FTTP connection per household.

That takes us nicely to point 1. If you want a 500 Mb or 1Gb connection get a business line, pay the extra and get a better SLA.

0 Ratings
jchasty
Beginner
Message 127 of 132

Great - thanks both. The new challenge is tryiong to order it - BT's own checker says I can get Ultra Plus 2, BT themselves say no.... I guess I just need to wait for all the systems to get into sync.....
0 Ratings
kmahmood
Beginner
Message 128 of 132

I have the same issue , living in postcode E3 area in London (near Canary Wharf),  the BT Ultrafast fibre website checker and Openreach postcode checker both show that I can get Ultrafast Fibre 2 Plus -  "You can get a speed guarantee of 150Mb with our new Ultrafast Fibre 2 Plus " , but contacted BT to upgrade and they advised that this product is not yet available at my address as per their internal system which is more accurate.  Is anyone aware of how we can confirm for definite if this product is available, does one need to contact Openreach ?

And second question, for anyone who has had Ultrafast Fibre 2 Plus installed -- as I live in an apartment block,  what is involved in the install procedure as given this is FTTP based ,   is BT/Openreach enabling FTTP in advance for apartment blocks to make it available for residents ?  just tying to understand how complicated it will be if and when this product becomes available for me.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Guru
Distinguished Guru
Message 129 of 132

Ultrafast is also copper based via G.Fast. The only people who can answer your availability questions  are the FTTP team (who also oversee G.Fast). Give them a ring on 0800 587 4787.

kinnabraw
Beginner
Message 130 of 132

I got this deal and my broadband speed is now 12 mb download Avoid these deals from bt its a rip of Im now half the speed I was .

0 Ratings