Are the speeds

So if the line supports 300 it’s the package which limits the speed

Correct.

0 Ratings
jedpause
Contributor
Message 112 of 132

Re: BT Ultrafast fibre broadband

Might be a silly question, but with Virgin now touting 500mbps and 1gbps later in 2019, will BT follow suit?

I am on Ultrafast 2 now and get over 300 down/49 up all the time, and know I am on a 1gbps exchange (Ashford, Surrey)

BT (not just Openreach) were talking about 1gbps in 2017 already....

Anyone in the know? Cheers

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Be a first rate version of yourself, not a second rate version of someone else
0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Distinguished Guru
Message 113 of 132

VM do not currently sell a 500Mb product.
0 Ratings
fydx
Beginner
Message 114 of 132

Hi, just wondering if I could get some clarification. I've been looking at posts here and I still can't quite figure it out!

I'm now eligible for FTTP and I'm looking at the packages being offered to me. The Superfast Fibre 2 and the Ultrafast Fibre 2 Plus packages are offering the same speeds to me (293Mb download, 146Mb minimum, 48Mb upload). The only difference noted between the two packages is the Ultrafast speed guarantee and the benefits of BT Plus. I'm enquiring because there is a considerable price difference (£59/£64 per month vs £39/£58 per month).

Is the Superfast product going to be throttled to inferior speeds if I get it (some sort of lower profile), or am I able to get away with getting Superfast for less cost, at the expense of not having that speed guarantee?

Many thanks!

0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Distinguished Guru
Message 115 of 132

The current max speed for the Superfast product is 80/20Mb. The max for Ultrafast is 300Mb.

Retrovertigo
Aspiring Expert
Message 116 of 132

I'm expecting Ultrafast 2 installation tomorrow, and the router has arrived here. It says not to connect it, but I'm having a mare with the HH5 at the moment since the update a few weeks ago. Can I pop on the Superhub 2 and use it for the next 24 hours with the connection I have now? (Infinity 2) Cheers

0 Ratings
brookheather
Aspiring Expert
Message 117 of 132

@Retrovertigowrote:

I'm expecting Ultrafast 2 installation tomorrow, and the router has arrived here. It says not to connect it, but I'm having a mare with the HH5 at the moment since the update a few weeks ago. Can I pop on the Superhub 2 and use it for the next 24 hours with the connection I have now? (Infinity 2) Cheers

Are you having G.fast or FTTP installed?  There are two versions of the SH2 - you need the one with a DSL port which would be used for G.fast - if you have the FTTP version with only a WAN port then you won't be able to use it with FTTC.

0 Ratings
Retrovertigo
Aspiring Expert
Message 118 of 132

Well, as it turns out I wasn't using the net much yesterday so left the router in its box.

I have no idea which installation I'm having? They didn't say. All I know is I'm going from Infinity 2 to Ultrafast 2. 

0 Ratings
brookheather
Aspiring Expert
Message 119 of 132

If you put your phone number into the DSL checker it will show G.fast or FTTP:

https://www.dslchecker.bt.com/

0 Ratings
Retrovertigo
Aspiring Expert
Message 120 of 132

That checker shows both? But anyway, moot point now as it was all installed this morning.

It was showing as connected at 333meg download and 50 meg upload, and the engineer said it was gfast.

Started downloading a huge game on my Xbox and was rather excited to see it downloading at over 300meg, but it did drop to around 180meg. But that could be down to MS servers, so not drawing any conclusions just yet!

0 Ratings