cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
saltwafers
Aspiring Contributor
Message 11 of 82

Re: BT Ultrafast fibre broadband

I don’t claim to be a guru, but i imagine that even if OpenReach stipulates this guarantee, it’s BT who implement this with their customers, i.e.,

• I am a BT account holder (not OpenReach),
  • My contract is with BT (not OpenReach),
  • If I have issues, I contact BT (not OpenReach).

Perhaps to keep you happy, I will rephrase the question:

WHY CAN'T BT OR OPENREACH RAISE THE ULTRAFAST 2 GUARANTEED SPEED TO HIGHER THAN 100 MBPS?

I’m sure there will be some gurus who can respond to this question objectively.

Thank you. 

0 Ratings
conrad
Recognised Expert
Message 12 of 82

@saltwaferswrote:

I don’t claim to be a guru, but i imagine that even if OpenReach stipulates this guarantee, it’s BT who implement this with their customers, i.e.,

• I am a BT account holder (not OpenReach),
  • My contract is with BT (not OpenReach),
  • If I have issues, I contact BT (not OpenReach).

Perhaps to keep you happy, I will rephrase the question:

WHY CAN'T BT OR OPENREACH RAISE THE ULTRAFAST 2 GUARANTEED SPEED TO HIGHER THAN 100 MBPS?

I’m sure there will be some gurus who can respond to this question objectively.

Thank you. 

Presumably because there is zero incentive for them to do this , after all 100Mbps guaranteed is a major step forward.
Also Ultafast 2 speeds only start from 152Mbps so 100 guaranteed looks fine based on that. Also there could be  congestion problems further down the line as the availability and uptake increases so there may be some hedging of bets as to what the expected minimum throughput may be.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Distinguished Guru
Message 13 of 82

Openreach supply one Ultrafast product with a 100Mbps guaranteed download speed. BT Wholesale have split this one product into two tiers with a software cap on the lower tier.

0 Ratings
NorthEasterner
Aspiring Expert
Message 14 of 82

If I am getting G.Fast availability on dsl checker. Why am I unable to purchase Ultrafast with BT or Fibre 150/300 in the case at TalkTalk?

The only time I have been offered it is with retentions at BT over the phone, but it is too pricey with BT. 

BT BROADBAND AVAILABILITY CHECKER

Telephone Number   on Exchange WIDEOPEN is served by Cabinet 9

Featured ProductsDownstream Line Rate(Mbps)Upstream Line Rate(Mbps)Downstream Handback Threshold(Mbps)WBC FTTC Availability DateWBC SOGEA Availability DateLeft in Jumper  High Low High Low        

VDSL Range A (Clean) 80 66.8 20 19 59.1 Available Available --  
VDSL Range B (Impacted) 80 60 20 18.4 47.3 Available Available --  
G.fast Range A (Clean) 330 330 50 45.1 330 Available Available --  
G.fast Range B (Impacted) 330 330 50 33.4 330 Available Available --

Hopefully I can order one way or another but not at £60 per month when TT at £36 per month.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Distinguished Guru
Message 15 of 82

TalkTalk may have decided not to offer Ultrafast. You would have to take that up with them.

0 Ratings
NorthEasterner
Aspiring Expert
Message 16 of 82

Thanks have emailed their G.Fast dept but not heard back.

Think I'll take up G.Fast when BT start introducing offers or if other ISPs start introducing G.Fast products.

NE.

0 Ratings
quadvdsl
Aspiring Contributor
Message 17 of 82

I do love all these expressions superfast ultrafast. 

Last year I was on a train in Tokyo, the free wifi was provided was faster than anything I have experienced....

... and it didnt drop out... during an earthquake

Katuxa
Aspiring Contributor
Message 18 of 82

Smiley Happy

Since 2016 it has been commercialized, in Porugal, fibre at 1Gbps in three independent networks including Vodafone

robby2k9
Aspiring Expert
Message 19 of 82

Kelly Comms. engineers have been connecting up the G.FAST side pods in my area recently (Grays. Essex.), however there is still no availability according to BT. How long after commisioning do these boxes tend to go live?

0 Ratings
Message 20 of 82

‘I don’t claim to be a guru, but i imagine that even if OpenReach stipulates this guarantee, it’s BT who implement this with their customers, i.e.,

I am a BT account holder (not OpenReach),
My contract is with BT (not OpenReach),
If I have issues, I contact BT (not OpenReach).‘

The “Guarantee” that it’ll never drop below 100mbps has nothing to do with Openreach, they’ve given no such promises or guarantees to any ISP.

The guarantee is BT and BT’s alone.
0 Ratings