cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
mattanorak
Contributor
Message 31 of 82

Re: BT Ultrafast fibre broadband

The Openreach engineer told me that there is a significant dropoff of speed as distance increases, but they're apparently instructed not to provide ultrafast if the speed test they do goes below 100Mb.

I'm <50m from the cab (both the PCP and GFast pod and the FTTC cab), but my line snakes down my road to a length of about 150m.  Still getting 320/50 (Openreach engineer said that the test at the cab showed a possible max speed of around 550/65 - but obvioulsly not with Ultrafast as it's capped at 330/50).

@Wils1wrote:

I received an Ultrafast 2 hub about 6 weeks ago, when an engineer came to change the master socket and switch me over. Turns out that half way through he detected I was 370~ metres from the cabinet, and BT had a hard stop of 300 metres from the cabinet for Ultrafast installs. He went away insisting I kep the router - so now I have an ultrafast 2 router kicking around doing nothing...

Anyone know if the 300 metre cap is still in place, and if so when it's likely to be extended out? BT constantly sending me stuff through email and the post, saying "Upgrade to Ultrafast 2 today!"... if only...lol

0 Ratings
bulldog147
Aspiring Contributor
Message 32 of 82

Openreach should go for 550/65 as a maximum speed from the cab. Don't understand why they capped 330/50 if the line can go faster than that. What was all the fuss of capped for?

0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Distinguished Guru
Message 33 of 82

@bulldog147 wrote:

Openreach should go for 550/65 as a maximum speed from the cab. Don't understand why they capped 330/50 if the line can go faster than that. What was all the fuss of capped for?

Common sense really. If they went for 550/65 it would greatly reduce the footprint for G.Fast.

0 Ratings
robby2k9
Aspiring Expert
Message 34 of 82

It looks like the "BT Wholesale Broadband Availability Checker" has removed all mention of  G.FAST on lines previously listed as PLANNED. Anyone know why they've seen fit to do this?

0 Ratings
conrad
Recognised Expert
Message 35 of 82

@robby2k9wrote:

It looks like the "BT Wholesale Broadband Availability Checker" has removed all mention of  G.FAST on lines previously listed as PLANNED. Anyone know why they've seen fit to do this?

Probably because it may still be planned but they have no idea of a current implementation date so there is no need to disclose it. It's a bit like the old FTTC dates which were constantly put back every 3 months so they stopped doing that as well.

0 Ratings
mattanorak
Contributor
Message 36 of 82

Had a chat with "someone in the know" after it disappeared and suddenly it became available, as the Cab had been activated and ready to order, but for some reason it wasn't being publicised.  So if in doubt, call up.

0 Ratings
Gothiic
Aspiring Contributor
Message 37 of 82

I dont know about the super broadband, BT cannot provide me with a stable Infinity 2, So I dont hold out much hope that I would get anything like the speeds that are suggested here.

0 Ratings
robby2k9
Aspiring Expert
Message 38 of 82

The rollout of ultrafast seems very disjointed. My local exchange (Grays, Essex) has had G.FAST pods installed on street cabs for months now but there's still no sign of the service starting & no way of getting a start date.

0 Ratings
chayground
Beginner
Message 39 of 82

Loving it so far! Smiley Very Happy

speed.jpg

robby2k9
Aspiring Expert
Message 40 of 82

I see BT have released the names of the next 59 exchanges to get ultrafast, no specific dates but should be fairly soon. Annoyingly it doesn't include my exchange, which makes me wonder why they bothered installing the street pods 6 months ago! - the list (issued June 2018)

Aberdeen Denburn, Acocks Green, Altrincham, Aylesbury, Bedford, Birmingham Central, Bishops Stortford, Boscombe, Bowes Park, Bury St. Edmunds, Bury, Byfleet, Cardiff, Carlisle, Chelmsford, Chester, Cosham, Didsbury, Erdington, Gipsy Hill, Guildford, Hampton, Harlow, Harrogate, Headingley, Heywood, Kingston, Lancaster, Leamington Spa, Leeds, Llantrisant, Maidstone, Market Harborough, Mile End, Morley, Narborough, North Finchley, Paignton, Plymouth, Rugby, Shipley, Slough, South Kensington, Southampton, Southend Town, St Albans, Stockton Heath, Swadlincote, Tamworth, Taunton, Telford Wellington, Tunbridge Wells, Walthamstow, Weston Super Mare, Windsor, Wolverhampton, Woodhouse (Berkshire), Woodley, York.

0 Ratings