cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Distinguished Guru
Distinguished Guru
Message 51 of 82

Re: BT Ultrafast fibre broadband

BT have enabled nothing. BT can only supply internet services that Openreach have made available to every ISP.

0 Ratings
AandB
Beginner
Message 52 of 82

I've had BT Ultrafast 2 Plus now for a few months via FTTP.  It's not been without issues. However although the speed for my home is advertised as 330mbs, my maximum speed and ip profile is showing as 319.25mbs on the BT Wholesale Speedtest.  No one at BT can explain why and I've noticed that this seems to be the profile set for many customers on fibre, whether Ultrafast 2 or not.  Can anyone help explain why as I have not had any sensible response from BT?  I would include an image of what the BT website is saying is available in my home but being new to these forums I cannot work out how to include an image.

Thank you in anticiaption.

Ultrafast 2

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 53 of 82

330 is your connection speed at the dsl layer, 319 is your download speed at the IP layer. The difference is due to protocol overheads.
robby2k9
Aspiring Expert
Message 54 of 82

GOOD news: BT Wholesale Broadband Availability Checker now says G.FAST is available on my line. BAD news: BT retail (checked on web & phoned sales) say it isn't!

Is there usually a delay between wholesale & retail offering the service or should I query it further?

0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Distinguished Guru
Message 55 of 82

For G.Fast, if it shows on the DSL availability checker, cannot be ordered online or via the sales line. It is dealt with via the dedicated FTTP sales team on 0800 587 4787.

Give them a ring to see if you are in range to have it.

0 Ratings
robby2k9
Aspiring Expert
Message 56 of 82

Really, G.FAST is marketed as ULTRAFAST by BT & so should be ordered via the normal sales team. Indeed when I spoke to sales they said as much, but their system didn't have my line showing as live yet.
0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Distinguished Guru
Message 57 of 82

Fair enough, you carry on. I merely pointed you in the right direction. It is entirely up to you if you take another path.Smiley Very Happy

0 Ratings
robby2k9
Aspiring Expert
Message 58 of 82

Gave it a go & called FTTP where availability was confirmed, BUT I was then refered back to the MY BT website and told to order it there (as I need a package upgrade from Superfast). I pointed out that I couldn't as it's not on their system yet & was advised to speak to either Sales or Value dept. (who are value & how do they differ from sales?). So I'm stuck in a loop at the moment, I assume once BT's retail dept. get their database updated it will all fall into place.

0 Ratings
robby2k9
Aspiring Expert
Message 59 of 82

OK, Saturday morning I called 0800800150 & asked for 'get ultrafast' I was automatically put through to 'VALUE'  in Belfast. The chap I spoke to knew his onions & put me on hold whilst he checked all databases. The result, as I suspected, Openreach & BT Wholesale showed avaiable but not BT retail. At this point he told me that it can sometimes take up to 3 weeks to migrate to BT Retail's database, but he was fairly confident it would be there by the end of the week. Apparently until retail has it on their database there is no way to place an order. I was told to check back with the website daily for the next few days.

0 Ratings
ylz198402
Aspiring Contributor
Message 60 of 82

I was in the same boat as you. I’ve tried placing the order for a week, and still nothing. In the end I went with Zen as I was interested in 150Mb, and it turns out Zen is actually slightly cheaper for that (£2 difference). But my point is that their database must update faster than BT’s so give them a try if BT still can’t place your order. From ordering until installation it will take 4-6 weeks minimum the guys at Zen told me, so you’re best to place the order as soon as possible if lots of other people in your area are interested in FTTP also.
0 Ratings