Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Distinguished Guru
Distinguished Guru
Message 61 of 82

Re: BT Ultrafast fibre broadband

@ylz198402 wrote:
I was in the same boat as you. I’ve tried placing the order for a week, and still nothing. In the end I went with Zen as I was interested in 150Mb, and it turns out Zen is actually slightly cheaper for that (£2 difference). But my point is that their database must update faster than BT’s so give them a try if BT still can’t place your order. From ordering until installation it will take 4-6 weeks minimum the guys at Zen told me, so you’re best to place the order as soon as possible if lots of other people in your area are interested in FTTP also.

G.Fast is not FTTP.

0 Ratings
ylz198402
Aspiring Contributor
Message 62 of 82

@pippincpwrote:
G.Fast is not FTTP.

That is correct, although I don't recall mentioning G.fast? Considering that all the houses in my neighbourhood are detached with quite a large space between them, I don't think they'll be installing G.Fast in my area anytime soon.  The Openreach checker says only FTTP is available.

0 Ratings
robby2k9
Aspiring Expert
Message 63 of 82

Turns out the agent was correct, the database updated the other day & I've got an engineer arriving Tuesday. However, although they haven't started self-install yet (so I have to pay for a visit) the engineer, who used to bring the ultrafast kit on the van no longer does so , instead BT post it special delivery and charge a tenner!

0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Distinguished Guru
Message 64 of 82

I assumed you were replying to @robby2k9 who was a problem ordering G.Fast.

Obviously you must have been replying to someone else elsewhere in the thread.

0 Ratings
mattanorak
Contributor
Message 65 of 82

I think it’s been like that from the start - BT (or your operator) post out the kit and the engineer turns up to do the install, which will probably include giving you a new faceplate. They do carry spare kit on the van, which is how I got my Huawei MT992 - I asked nicely and said I don’t rate he home hub. He agreed and connected the MT992 for me ;-)
0 Ratings
robby2k9
Aspiring Expert
Message 66 of 82

Got my G.FAST installed this morning without any problem.

The engineer kindly left me a 'backup' MT992 modem, but asked that I use the BT HH6XA for the first 10 days whilst the line is in 'training' mode'. Stats from Hub technical log shown below.

Data rate:

50.00 Mbps / 329.78 Mbps

Maximum data rate:

48999 / 464951

Noise margin:

7.3 dB / 11.3 dB

Line attenuation:

0 dB / 8 dB

Signal attenuation:

0 dB / 8 dB

VLAN id:

Modulation:

G.Fast

mattanorak
Contributor
Message 67 of 82

I used the HH for the first 2 or 3 weeks to let things settle down, then I moved to the MT992.  The ONLY thing I miss about the HH is seeing the stats.  You can't get into the MT992 to get any stats off it, so you just have to assume that everything's OK.

Mind you, it's also kind of nice not flipping over to the stats page every hour to see what it's up to now - so swings and roundabouts :-)

0 Ratings
bulldog147
Aspiring Contributor
Message 68 of 82

@robby2k9wrote:

Got my G.FAST installed this morning without any problem.

The engineer kindly left me a 'backup' MT992 modem, but asked that I use the BT HH6XA for the first 10 days whilst the line is in 'training' mode'. Stats from Hub technical log shown below.

Data rate:

50.00 Mbps / 329.78 Mbps

Maximum data rate:

48999 / 464951

Noise margin:

7.3 dB / 11.3 dB

Line attenuation:

0 dB / 8 dB

Signal attenuation:

0 dB / 8 dB

VLAN id:

Modulation:

G.Fast

how far from the street cabinet to your property? What was the estimated for VDSL2 Range A say before?

0 Ratings
robby2k9
Aspiring Expert
Message 69 of 82

As the crow flies about 80 - 90m from the box. VDSL2 always showed CLEAN A at 80 high / 78 low with a handback of 73.9, which was accurate when G.INP was on. However my speed dropped to around 74mbps after they disabled it, but the DSL Checker stayed the same. I got it back to over 79mbps by using a Vigor router and changing the target SNR from 6.3db (as set by Openreach) to 4db. Some people have reported taking ECI lines down to 3db but I didn't need to go that low (going any lower may have attracted the attention of the DLM)

davemul1
Beginner
Message 70 of 82

Spoiler

I upgraded from standard 6 meg broadband to ultrafast fibre 1 this morning (go live date)

I now have 2.5mbps!

Disgusted! Call centres are of no use and customer service impossible to converse with, nor am I able to get an engineer out

Absolutely disgusted, will be cancelling everything today

0 Ratings