cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Sara3
Message 1 of 19

BT Ultrafast offer

Go to solution

Hi.  I logged on to my BT account yesterday and was informed that I can receive a free upgrade from broadband to ultrfast fibre.  I went ahead with this order but so far have not received any confirmation details of this order via e-mail (which is the correspondence method I selected) and when I log into MyBT and click on Track Order it keeps telling me the session has expired and to refresh this page - have done this numerous times since yesterday and still won't show me the tracking.  I also am a bit confused as not sure what the difference in speed and quality will be between my broadband now and ultrafast fibre as no engineer will be calling to upgrade line, faceplate etc - I was advised on the website that I would only receive a new Smart Hub and an enginner wouldn't need access to my house.  We have old wiring in our house (built in the 60s) so will fibre make any difference to the speed I receive as I am of the understanding that with ultrafast fibre, the fibre connection is only from the cabinet to outside my house?  I am concerned as I do not want to be tied into another 18 month contract with BT if the quality is no better than I have already as we had been considering changing providers.  Hpefully you can help me!  Thank you

0 Ratings
18 REPLIES 18
Sage
Sage
Message 2 of 19

Re: BT Ultrafast offer

Go to solution

I should imagine that your Ultrafast upgrade will be delivered by G.Fast which still utilises correr from the cabinet.

To see what is available enter your phone number HERE and post a screenshot of the result. Remove phone number before posting.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 3 of 19

Go to solution

If you presently have "normal" (ADSL) Broadband you should see an improvement in speeds.

If you are already a fibre (VDSL or as it used to be called Infinity) customer you will probably see no great improvement in speed but the only way to tell would be to run this checker and post back a screen shot of the results. Make sure you delete your phone number before posting.

http://www.dslchecker.bt.com/adsl/adslchecker.welcome

When you post back please stated what type of broadband you presently have.

0 Ratings
Sara3
Message 4 of 19

Go to solution

Hi

Here is  the screenshot.  Will ultrafast be better?  Sorry but I am not very techno so have no idea!

2019-01-20 (1).png

0 Ratings
brookheather
Aspiring Expert
Message 5 of 19

Go to solution

You can't get Ultrafast (FTTP or G.fast) but you can get Superfast (VDSL) which will be much quicker than your current ADSL connection.

0 Ratings
Sara3
Message 6 of 19

Go to solution

Hi.  I currently have BT Broadband Unlimited - average 10Mb download.  I have posted a screenshot on the previous post using the speedchecker.  

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 7 of 19

Go to solution

@Sara3 wrote:

Hi.  I currently have BT Broadband Unlimited - average 10Mb download.  I have posted a screenshot on the previous post using the speedchecker.  

Then you will get a much faster connection speed, if that is what you really need. Do not be bullied by BT sales into upgrading, if what you have already, suits your needs.

Your wiring may be affecting your current connection, and that may be worse with the upgrade

If you do not get the minimum connection speed promised due to your wiring, then you will be offered a free visit from Openreach, to improve your connection.

Sara3
Message 8 of 19

Go to solution
So are you saying BT are offering me something that is useless to me?
Here is a quote from the webpage:
"Why you need a free update
You’re currently on the old copper network which is less stable and slower than our new fibre network. We’re currently moving all of our copper customers to fibre for free, so don’t miss your chance to secure your free update today.
A more stable and reliable broadband connection
Free update for the same price you pay now
Faster speeds – average speeds of 50Mb"
0 Ratings
brookheather
Aspiring Expert
Message 9 of 19

Go to solution

"average speeds of 50Mb" means Superfast (VDSL) which is shown in the speedchecker result.  Where are you getting "Ultrafast" from?  If you want better speeds you can upgrade to Superfast as stated in the email.  The fibre connection is to your cabinet not to your home - you don't need any wiring changes but will probably need a new BT HomeHub is you don't have a HH5 or SmartHub currently.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 10 of 19

Go to solution

I am on normal broadband, and almost every week I get the same letter Smiley Frustrated

There are just two of us in the house, and we get the same speed as you do on normal broadband, and its just fine for everything we need.

In my opinion, its very misleading advertising, as you will still be on the copper network, its NOT fibre. The only fibre connection would be FTTP (Fibre To The Premises), which is offered in some areas.

Fibre to the cabinet is copper to the house, and if you have any issues with your local cable pair, or your internal wiring, you will almost certainly get more disconnections.

Upgrading to a higher speed only makes sense if you have a lot of family members using the Internet, or you want to take advantage of BT TV.

I may be wrong, but I am sure that is why BT want people to upgrade, so they can sell them extra services in future.

0 Ratings