Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Racehunter
Contributor
Message 1 of 13

BT Usage Monitor vs HH3 Data Information

Hi,

I appreciate this topic has been covered in other posts, but I still do not seem to be able to find the answer I am looking for!

I have been with Infinity since August and have the 40Gb package. Occasionally I have a look at the online monitor and as I have always been well within my allowance (under 10Gb normally) I have thought nothing more of it. However, with the return of my Son from Uni for Christmas, and knowing he streams some TV and film content, I thought I would keep a closer eye on things.

The monitor showed, towards the end of the month a figure of 30Gb usage and in fact on 31/12/12 the automatic email warning was triggered at 32Gb. So I took a look at the information in HH3 Manager and was really surprised to see a much lower figure. This showed that the connection had been up for 32 days and 4.0Gb download and 2.8Gb upload had occurred. The recording period was very similar so assuming all internet traffic is measured through HH3, why should there be such a huge difference?

Any suggestions would be appreciated

Steve

0 Ratings
12 REPLIES 12
DasEnglander
Beginner
Message 2 of 13

Re: BT Usage Monitor vs HH3 Data Information

It's a binary arithmatic thing. The counter in the HH can only hold values up to 4GB. When it reachs that point it over flows and 'rolls over' back to zero.

The count will go roughly along these lines.  0 -> 1 -> 2 -> 3 -> 4 -> 0 -> 1 -> 2 -> 3 -> etc.  in a continuous loop.

So for 32GB downstream, the counter has overflowed back to zero around four times.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
BuckleZ
Aspiring Expert
Message 3 of 13

Mine looks spot on

Connection time:6 days, 07:08:54
Data transmitted/received (GB):

9.221 / 83.650

0 Ratings
Guru
Message 4 of 13

The hub shows data sent to and from the cab where as the usage monitor doesn't. So the HomeHub should normally show a little more a month, though you obviously need not to have a restart.

If this helped you please click the Star beside my name.

If this answered your question please click "Mark as Accepted Solution" below.
0 Ratings
Racehunter
Contributor
Message 5 of 13

Aha, still as clear as mud Smiley Happy So HH3 either cycles at 4Gb or not. I am sure I have seen higher figures in the past, as can be seen in reply 2.

So why when I look at the same 31 days of data on the HH and the Monitor is there a difference of 26Gb (ish)?  It simply makes me question the validity of either the HH or Monitor.  I know BT will say the Monitor is correct, but I really would like to be able to audit those figures, after all, without evidence, one doesn't have a case!

If the HH3 is that inaccurate, apart from a router change, what else can I use to monitor?  I already use TBB meter on the main PC but that cannot be loaded to Apple products.

Steve

0 Ratings
Ratty2012
Recognised Expert
Message 6 of 13

@Racehunter wrote:

Aha, still as clear as mud Smiley Happy So HH3 either cycles at 4Gb or not. I am sure I have seen higher figures in the past, as can be seen in reply 2.

So why when I look at the same 31 days of data on the HH and the Monitor is there a difference of 26Gb (ish)?  It simply makes me question the validity of either the HH or Monitor.  I know BT will say the Monitor is correct, but I really would like to be able to audit those figures, after all, without evidence, one doesn't have a case!

If the HH3 is that inaccurate, apart from a router change, what else can I use to monitor?  I already use TBB meter on the main PC but that cannot be loaded to Apple products.

Steve

I note that you have a thread about this on thinkbroadband forum, I think the conclusion is that HH is not reporting the correct information.

0 Ratings
Racehunter
Contributor
Message 7 of 13

Absolutely correct that I do have a thread on TBB Forums.  At the time of posting on here it looked like I wasn't going to get any response!

So, is there a way to either 'fix' the HH3 problem or use someother software to monitor the stats?

0 Ratings
Ratty2012
Recognised Expert
Message 8 of 13

@Racehunter wrote:

Absolutely correct that I do have a thread on TBB Forums.  At the time of posting on here it looked like I wasn't going to get any response!

So, is there a way to either 'fix' the HH3 problem or use someother software to monitor the stats?

I think you just have to hope that BT issues a firmware patch for HH3 that fixes this problem, as I am sure you are not the only one having this problem.

0 Ratings
Racehunter
Contributor
Message 9 of 13

Thanks and that got me thinking.  Having checked the HH3 firmware status, I can see that mine was upgraded to the latest version on 30 November.  I wonder if this has actually caused the error?

0 Ratings
Ratty2012
Recognised Expert
Message 10 of 13

@Racehunter wrote:

Thanks and that got me thinking.  Having checked the HH3 firmware status, I can see that mine was upgraded to the latest version on 30 November.  I wonder if this has actually caused the error?

It's possible, maybe the update did not complete properly

0 Ratings