cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
3,309 Views
Message 1 of 35

BT Vectoring and G.Fast, OMG

So Vectoring is noise cancellation to increase your broadband speed from the lines being bunched together, And G. Fast is bringing the fibre all the way to the telegraph pole then using copper from the pole to your home (Correct me if i'm wrong).

 

Would there be a need for vectoring if BT done G. Fast, because the lines would not be bunched together, they would be separate coming out from the pole? 

 

Does anyone know when Vectoring or G. Fast will actually happen? 

 

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-29360758

 

http://recombu.com/digital/news/bt-gfast-gigabit-broadband-trials-achieve-700mbps-downloads

 

 

0 Ratings
Reply
34 REPLIES 34
conrad
Recognised Expert
3,302 Views
Message 2 of 35

Re: BT Vectoring and G.Fast, OMG

See this link where there is a bit about the drastic speed reduction if vectoring isn't present http://www.huawei.com/ilink/en/solutions/broader-smarter/morematerial-b/HW_278065

 

0 Ratings
Reply
conrad
Recognised Expert
3,299 Views
Message 3 of 35

Re: BT Vectoring and G.Fast, OMG

From whats been posted on the web it may be commercially available by the end of 2015 but even if BT went ahead with its implementation plans it could be several years before people could subscribe to G.fast

0 Ratings
Reply
dfenceman
Expert
3,235 Views
Message 4 of 35

Re: BT Vectoring and G.Fast, OMG

Hi GeekOfBroadband,

 

You may find this of interest :- http://www.increasebroadbandspeed.co.uk/2014/vectoring-crosstalk-crisis

 

 

 

Best regards,
dfenceman
0 Ratings
Reply
chris6273
Recognised Expert
3,213 Views
Message 5 of 35

Re: BT Vectoring and G.Fast, OMG


@GeekOfBroadband wrote:

 

Would there be a need for vectoring if BT done G. Fast, because the lines would not be bunched together, they would be separate coming out from the pole? 

 


Vectoring on FTTC will likely still go ahead if that's what you mean - It's little more than a software change on the DSLAMs.

 

As for G.Fast vectoring - Some poles I've seen are very heavily populated - I guess it depends what research ends up being done in the BT Labs.

 

To be honest I'd be very surprised if Vectoring on G.Fast isn't used from the beginning if it's available. It's much easier to install a system all set up than add things to it later which were readily available from before the date of install.

 

As for Vectoring on FTTC hopefully soon! We've seen almost a 40Mbps drop in attainable rate since the FTTC install which is quite unsettling.

___________________________________

Like this post? Give it a Star :D. If this post answers your question, please Mark it as the Accepted Solution.
0 Ratings
Reply
Checked2013
Expert
3,171 Views
Message 6 of 35

Re: BT Vectoring and G.Fast, OMG


@chris6273 wrote:

Vectoring on FTTC will likely still go ahead if that's what you mean - It's little more than a software change on the DSLAMs.

As for G.Fast vectoring - Some poles I've seen are very heavily populated - I guess it depends what research ends up being done in the BT Labs.

To be honest I'd be very surprised if Vectoring on G.Fast isn't used from the beginning if it's available. It's much easier to install a system all set up than add things to it later which were readily available from before the date of install.

As for Vectoring on FTTC hopefully soon! We've seen almost a 40Mbps drop in attainable rate since the FTTC install which is quite unsettling.




I think if it was only just a software change then it would have been implemented by now on FTTC. Do you have any info on this?

 

0 Ratings
Reply
Distinguished Sage
3,169 Views
Message 7 of 35

Re: BT Vectoring and G.Fast, OMG

OR are still trailing vectoring no decision on when it will be implemented yet
0 Ratings
Reply
chris6273
Recognised Expert
3,160 Views
Message 8 of 35

Re: BT Vectoring and G.Fast, OMG


@Checked2013 wrote:
I think if it was only just a software change then it would have been implemented by now on FTTC. Do you have any info on this?

 


It's a firmware update on the FTTC DSLAM that's required.

 

There was some talk of the ECI DSLAMs in use not supporting Vectoring but a fellow forum user pointed out the ones Openreach use actually do which was surprising and comforting.

 

It's in field trials at the moment with OR (Has been for some time) so hopefully it will be released sometime in the near future.

As for if it was just a software change, it is. However I expect OR are testing all aspects of it including its full capability including speed and stability enhancements in densely populated cabinets which takes time.

___________________________________

Like this post? Give it a Star :D. If this post answers your question, please Mark it as the Accepted Solution.
0 Ratings
Reply
Deathtrap3000
Recognised Expert
3,140 Views
Message 9 of 35

Re: BT Vectoring and G.Fast, OMG

They are supposedly setting up a lab to trial g.fast and fttdp (fibre to the distribution point) which could bring fibre to the pole or footway box and use copper the rest of the way. Seems pointless to bring fibre that far and not go full fttp.
G.fast uses vectoring as well as much higher frequencies to achieve high speeds, so that needs to work properly first before they can go any further.
0 Ratings
Reply
Checked2013
Expert
3,048 Views
Message 10 of 35

Re: BT Vectoring and G.Fast, OMG


@chris6273 wrote:

@Checked2013 wrote:
I think if it was only just a software change then it would have been implemented by now on FTTC. Do you have any info on this?

 


It's a firmware update on the FTTC DSLAM that's required.

 

There was some talk of the ECI DSLAMs in use not supporting Vectoring but a fellow forum user pointed out the ones Openreach use actually do which was surprising and comforting.

 

It's in field trials at the moment with OR (Has been for some time) so hopefully it will be released sometime in the near future.

As for if it was just a software change, it is. However I expect OR are testing all aspects of it including its full capability including speed and stability enhancements in densely populated cabinets which takes time.


I was under the impression that during the current trials that ASIC vector engines were being used which meant that some of the hardware has to be replaced in the cabinets. It's one of the reasons why it's taking weeks to enable a cabinet for vectoring and not just an over night job.

0 Ratings
Reply