cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 31

BT Wholesale Checker - Landline Number v Address

Hello,

Quick question regarding the speeds available when checking on the BT Wholesale Checker website.

When using our landline number and the house address the results are very different. I posted on here a while back querying why our house gets terrible speeds compared to the neighbours house. 

It was determine that our line was an exchange only line meaning rubbish speeds. However when using the landline number to check it is in fact served by a cabinet where as using the address there is no cabinet.

Attached screenshots - Is there a reason for this or could this be why we are having issues?

Landline

LandlineLandline

Address

AddressAddress

0 Ratings
30 REPLIES 30
Message 2 of 31

Re: BT Wholesale Checker - Landline Number v Address

AFAIK the telephone number result is the one that is more accurate but both are showing the same FTTP ondemand, which I think is where they use an existing FTTC setup but replace the copper between you and the cab with fibre.

Do you and your neighbour have the same 'product'?

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
BT900 | Nokia ONT | Ubiquiti ER-X | EETV Box Pro (IP Mode) | Unifi CK2 | 6x Unifi U6+ | 2x Unifi SAK Ultra
0 Ratings
Message 3 of 31

The neighbouring property is away to have broadband installed with an estimated speed of approx 50mb.

Is there a possibility that the phone line and broadband side of things are not matching with our property somewhere?

Maybe a silly question but have to ask…our connection is sitting at around 11mb at the moment, is the speed we actually get determined by the physical line (whatever it may be) OR is this set by a system somewhere that may be confused by our address etc? Meaning we may actually be able to physically get a faster speed but ‘the computer says no’ 🙂

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 31

@naylor2006 wrote:

AFAIK the telephone number result is the one that is more accurate but both are showing the same FTTP ondemand, which I think is where they use an existing FTTC setup but replace the copper between you and the cab with fibre.

FTTPoD is an extremely expensive product aimed at businesses. It is a bespoke full fibre solution back to a head end.

Message 5 of 31

Errr @iniltous help......

I'm not the biggest expert on copper to be honest but there are different profiles but alot depends on what the physical connects are capable of, IE the faster it tries to go the more likely the internet will drop out so a lower profile is more desirable.

I think in you can view the things like SNR in the BT Hub, it will show attenuation also, one of the experts more in that field will probably be able to give you some insights then.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
BT900 | Nokia ONT | Ubiquiti ER-X | EETV Box Pro (IP Mode) | Unifi CK2 | 6x Unifi U6+ | 2x Unifi SAK Ultra
0 Ratings
Message 6 of 31

@naylor2006 wrote:

Errr @iniltous help......

I'm not the biggest expert on copper to be honest but there are different profiles but alot depends on what the physical connects are capable of, IE the faster it tries to go the more likely the internet will drop out so a lower profile is more desirable.

I think in you can view the things like SNR in the BT Hub, it will show attenuation also, one of the experts more in that field will probably be able to give you some insights then.

That is a total red herring. The difference here is whether the OP has ADSL or VDSL.

Message 7 of 31

@RedSquirrel wrote:

The neighbouring property is away to have broadband installed with an estimated speed of approx 50mb.

Is there a possibility that the phone line and broadband side of things are not matching with our property somewhere?

Maybe a silly question but have to ask…our connection is sitting at around 11mb at the moment, is the speed we actually get determined by the physical line (whatever it may be) OR is this set by a system somewhere that may be confused by our address etc? Meaning we may actually be able to physically get a faster speed but ‘the computer says no’ 🙂

Your speed is determined by your physical line and the service available to you. If you are connected to a cabinet, FTTC will be available but if directly connected to the exchange only slower ADSL will be available.

It does seem odd there is a discrepancy between phone number and address, particularly as @naylor2006  says, number is normally the accurate figure.

0 Ratings
Message 8 of 31

Try calling customer services  0330 1234 150 and request an ORDI check (Openreach Data Integrity)

Message 9 of 31

@licquorice a little more fact checking on my part.....at least one part was right....

Why is the FTTPoD listed with 330 down, seems like this service would be capable of 1Gbps up and down at least.

@licquorice said:

That is a total red herring. The difference here is whether the OP has ADSL or VDSL.

Do copper lines train these days and stabilize?

0 Ratings
Message 10 of 31

@naylor2006 wrote:

@licquorice a little more fact checking on my part.....at least one part was right....

Why is the FTTPoD listed with 330 down, seems like this service would be capable of 1Gbps up and down at least.

Its an old product which I guess is limited by the technology employed to deliver it.

@licquorice said:

Do copper lines train these days and stabilize?

Yes, but that isn't the question at hand here.