Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Addy
Aspiring Expert
Message 1 of 27

BT Wholesale Speedtest site

Go to solution

Hello,

Are there any problems with the speed test site. When I run the intial test it often shows download speed as 0.00. Screen Shot 2018-01-28 at 16.56.13.png

If I then run the Further Diagnostics I get the following message. "Test Error The  Browser session has timed out. PLease refresh the main Perfromance Tester Page." Using Safari on OSX El Capitan and have tried the Opera and Firefox browsers with the same problem. The browser caches have been cleared and I have the latest version of flash. Tests run using ethernet cable to master socket and no noise on the line.

The reason I ask is I have recently moved from ADSL Max to Infinity and the speeds are dreadful, slower than the 8m max, can't even watch Iplayer now without it buffering which never had previously.  I'm still within the 10 day stablisation period and know to wait until after that to raise any issue but would have thought the speeds at some times would be the same or better than the ADSL Max. The minimum guaranteed speed given in the order details is 44mbps.

thanks

Ade

0 Ratings
26 REPLIES 26
gg30340
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 27

Re: BT Wholesale Speedtest site

Go to solution

Can you run this checker and post back a screen shot of the results. Make sure you delete your phone number before posting.

http://www.dslchecker.bt.com/adsl/adslchecker.welcome

If you have the Smart Hub, (Homehub 6) can you go to hub manager then advanced then technical log and post the stats. http://bthomehub.home/

Is there any noise on your phone line? Dial 17070 and select option 2, there should be no noise between the announcements.

Try connecting to the master socket/ test socket and if your problem is still there it could indicate that there is a line fault before the test socket on BT's side.

When you use the test socket make sure that any telephone extensions you have are "dead". There should be no dial tone at any of your phone extensions. If they have a dial tone it means you have star wiring and that is not good for Infinity and will need to be fixed.

0 Ratings
imjolly
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 3 of 27

Go to solution

Try a different browser edge/chrome when you do btspeedtester diagnostic test

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Addy
Aspiring Expert
Message 4 of 27

Go to solution

No noise and not tried test socket as was told when ordering not to switch off or disconnect hub (HH6) for a least ten days as it may cuase problems getting best speed. Stats attached below and will try the chrome browser tomorrow. 

Availibility Checker Stats.jpg

Screen Shot 2018-01-28 at 17.32.44.png

0 Ratings
imjolly
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 5 of 27

Go to solution

Your connection speed is with the speed range you probably had in the BT initial letter you may find connecting to test socket with a filter gets a better speed as that should be your best connection The move won't affect your speed as long as only once

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
pippincp
Sage
Message 6 of 27

Go to solution

If you are on Infinity 1 you are getting full speed at the hub. Are you using a wired connection or wireless.

0 Ratings
Addy
Aspiring Expert
Message 7 of 27

Go to solution

Thanks for the suggestions. I've run the test twice once at about 9am and again at 12:30 and had similar results.Screen Shot 2018-01-29 at 09.29.38.png

Have tried again just now at 17:00 and I got at worst 2.81 and the highest was about 10 and a few 0.00 as mentioned previously. I tried further dianostics test and I just get the 'browser session has timed out" message as mentioned in my first post. All tests using wired connection and nothing has changed between this morning and now. It seems to get slower and slower as the evening progresses.

Ade

0 Ratings
imjolly
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 8 of 27

Go to solution

the download speed is consistent with your connection speed  just keep trying as this ideal peak time to get poor results if congestion problem

0 Ratings
Addy
Aspiring Expert
Message 9 of 27

Go to solution

Thanks @imjolly, The fact I get the good connection speed during the day would seem to indicate there is nothing wrong with my line or set up at home. I’ll repeat the daytime and evening tests over the next few days and post the results back here.

Ade.

0 Ratings
Addy
Aspiring Expert
Message 10 of 27

Go to solution

After a couple of days of tests the outcome is during the day I get download speeds of around 50-51mbps but from late afternoon and throughout the evening the speed drops and I get between 1-2Mbs. I run tests over three days and the attached screen shot of a graph clearly shows the speed drops during the evenings. The date and times are difficult to read but are from 29/01 to 01/02 and the slow download speeds are usually between 16:00 and 22:00 ( I don't bother checking after that). Also included a high and low result from the BT Wholesale Further Diagnostics test. 

There is no noise on the line and the tests are done using ethernet connection. The HH6 stats are in an earlier posting and they haven't changed. The upload speed is always between 8-9Mbps it is just the evening download that is very slow. Is this something that the Mods can deal with.

The speed in the evening is noticably slow at times webpages take ages to load and things like Iplayer etc or BT Cloud are impossible to use. It was never this bad when I was on copper ADSL and not what I expected when on Infinity.

thanks

Ade

(edited to redo images as originals not showing in message)

Screen Shot 2018-02-01 at 11.05.29.png

Screen Shot 2018-02-01 at 12.02.52.png

Screen Shot 2018-02-01 at 08.24.17.png

0 Ratings