Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
73henny
Contributor
Message 1 of 23

BT WiFi

Go to solution
Hi. I've infinity 1 which is working well, however I wonder if the BT wifi is reserving some of my bandwidth? The reason I ask is I have a 4K tv with Amazon prime and should comfortably be able to stream 4K. My connection speed is about 24 Mbps and Amazon say 20 should be plenty. Does BT wifi reserve some bandwidth that I can't use?
Thanks
0 Ratings
22 REPLIES 22
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 23

Re: BT WiFi

Go to solution

No, there is nothing reserved. Users of the hotspot simply use whatever is remaining, you always get priority.

73henny
Contributor
Message 3 of 23

Go to solution
Ok thanks. I'll have to look elsewhere for the source of my problem.
0 Ratings
Colin_London
Recognised Expert
Message 4 of 23

Go to solution
If you are reading your connection speed from your Homehub management page the first thing to be aware of is that your maximum throughput is 96.8% of that figure. This is your 'IP profile'.

Next when Netflix say 20Mbps should be plenty they are talking about a constant throughput that never falls below 20Mbps. Your throughout can vary due to network congestion or factors like interference on your line.

For an application that requires a constant minimum of 20Mbps I'm afraid your connection is borderline.

One final thing - you do use an Ethernet cable to connect your TV to your hub don't you?

73henny
Contributor
Message 5 of 23

Go to solution
The TV is connected wirelessly. My hub is downstairs where the main BT socket is and the TV is upstairs in our lounge. What I can't understand though is why it worked perfectly when I got the TV a month ago and there's been no drop off in speed?
0 Ratings
Colin_London
Recognised Expert
Message 6 of 23

Go to solution
New source of Wireless interference? It is better to use powerline adapters than wifi for High Bandwidth TV because wifi performance cannot be guaranteed.
73henny
Contributor
Message 7 of 23

Go to solution
Thanks for your help.
I'm not aware of anything that could cause any interference. We've not added anything since getting the tv. It has a browser, so I wonder if a speed test on there would give an accurate reading for its connection speed?
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 8 of 23

Go to solution

Have you tried all 13 wireless channels that are available on the home hub, just in case the three "smart" channels are all congested?

You will have to turn smart wireless off, and select each channel manually.

73henny
Contributor
Message 9 of 23

Go to solution
I've just run the test through the tv's browser and only got 8 Mbps! Yet my iPhone app has come back with 27 Mbps. Why would it be so different?
0 Ratings
Colin_London
Recognised Expert
Message 10 of 23

Go to solution

Because your TV has a rubbish wifi adapter / antenna?

or if you have a plug in adapter, it is behind the screen which acts as a big shield against the wifi signal.