cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
PlenoOrgano
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 9

BT and india telecomm lies and inefficiency

I placed an order for BT Infinity1 which was to be connected on March 26th. That was the promise. The day after the order was placed I get an amendment, it will now start on 27th March. It did, after a fashion. From BT email, the following:-

Your broadband speed

We estimate your download speed will be between 39Mb and 40Mb.
We estimate your upload speed will be between 1.9Mb and 2Mb.

From day 1, download speed between 14 & 19 Mbs, upload between .7 & .9 Mbs.

The phone line has been very crackly as well. Finally, one rainy day 9th April, the broadband gave up the ghost. Matter reported to BT.

The earliest they could deal with it was Wednesday 16th April. Engineer (or should say technician) arrives at 8.00am, does a thorough check of the house wiring. Can't find a fault, but, lo and behold, it is outside, in the inderground system. He was not licenced to do U/G work, so has to pass it back to another engineer. Fast forward to 1.00pm. I am just about to go out and there is an Openreach van on my drive. When I speak to this engineer, he has come to check the wiring in the house. He knows nothing of the previous visit 5 hours earlier. They decide it is an underground fault and arrange for an engineer on Thursday 17th. (Engineer also informs me that he doubts there will be anyone out as the U/G staff have been laid off because it is dry weather and there are only faults in wet weather).

Thursday night, telephone call from BT (india telecomm), they will get someone out Friday 18th (Good Friday (Bank Holiday) in Christian countries. 

Friday 18th, call from BT (india telecomm) they will get someone to come out to me on Tuesday 22nd. Are they intending to deal with this or not? I am paying for Infinity but it is taking an infinity to get it. I take it, as BT are now in breach of their contract I can leave and go elsewhere.

0 Ratings
8 REPLIES 8
ModernFamilyfan
Contributor
Message 2 of 9

Re: BT and india telecomm lies and inefficiency

First of all today is Good Friday, so assuming BT engineers are off. BT engineers don't work on weekends.  Also Monday is a bank holiday so no engineers then, the next available date is Tuesday.

As of U/G work, only certain qualified engineers are able to go pysically underground, and can often get short staffed.

MFF

0 Ratings
PlenoOrgano
Aspiring Contributor
Message 3 of 9

Yes, I am aware of that, but the first engineer who visited said he would get a U/G engineer that day, Wednesday. The one who visited at 1.00pm said all the U/G staff had been laid off because there is no work for them when it is dry. 

My main point is that no one in India knows what is going on and no one can communicate with the Openreach control centre to find out what is happening!

0 Ratings
Highlighted
ModernFamilyfan
Contributor
Message 4 of 9

The call centre in India may be unaware of the Easter public holidays such as Good Friday and Easter Monday.

MFF

0 Ratings
PlenoOrgano
Aspiring Contributor
Message 5 of 9

They were well aware of the public holidays and have consistantly lied about what they are doing and when they will be doing it.

0 Ratings
PlenoOrgano
Aspiring Contributor
Message 6 of 9

The Underground engineer attended on Wednesday, 23rd April. I was not told he was coming and when he rang and the turned up at my house, he said he was just there to trace and mark the fault so an underground gang could come and repair it...when, he didn't know but probable in about 7 days time!!!!!

He went to the U/G junction and tested back to the cabinet (and thus the exchange) all clear. The he tested from the house to the manhole, again all clear. Then he tested the house network.....hey hey, suprise suprise, the fault was there after all, but the engineer a week earlier hadn't spotted it. Why? Because the house is 'star wired' i.e. every socket comes from the junction box where the wire enters the house. 

YOU CANNOT RUN BT INFINITY OF ANY VARIETY ON A 'STAR WIRED' NETWORK. Took his a few hours to sort it, but sort it he did. 

QUESTION NOW IS, WHY DID THE FIRST ENGINEER NOT FIND THIS? Answer, he probably didn't know anything about Fibre optic broadband. Typical BT inefficiency.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Message 7 of 9

It is very possible that the first engineer was a contractor not an Openreach engineer as you had on the second visit it is nothing to do with BT as they only resell the OPenreach fibre product just like every other ISP

the contractors are paid per job but the Openreach are salaried
0 Ratings
PlenoOrgano
Aspiring Contributor
Message 8 of 9

The first engineer was employed i.e. salaried by Openreach!!!!! So was the second.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Expert
Message 9 of 9

Looks like the 2nd engineer knows more about broadband than the 1st.
--
To say thanks for a helpful answer, please click the white star
0 Ratings