cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 18

BT broadband slowing at peak times

Hi,

I have recently signed up to BT Fibre 2 which worked well during the cooling off period but since then my broadand has been slowing significantly between 7-11pm at night.  During the day and early in the morning I am consistently getting a stable 65-68Mbps (versus the guaranteed 62Mbps) but during the times when I need it for game streaming it is slowing to less than 20Mbps.  Last two nights it has dipped to 6-8Mbps despite no one using the network.

I have raised a fault with BT a week ago and heard nothing other than they are looking into it and they have already marked with "We’ve had to remove your right to exit your contract without penalty, as we’ve not been able to monitor your speed or get any required information from you."

I have since raised a complaint but looking at these forums both avenues pursued so far appear to be a waste of time so am looking for some help to please resolve the issue.

Many thanks

D

0 Ratings
17 REPLIES 17
Message 2 of 18

Re: BT broadband slowing at peak times

Running BT Wholesale just now showed

ping: 17

download 31.99 

upload 4.36 

When I try and run the diagnostic it just says "The system is currently busy. Please try again shortly, however if this problem persists, raise the issue with your service provider."

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 18

Can you post router stats please

are you using Ethernet or wireless?  The speeds quoted by BT are all connection speed not download speeds    there is no guarantee on download speed

Enter phone number and post result delete number but leave exchange and cab 

https://www.broadbandchecker.btwholesale.com/#/ADSL

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Message 4 of 18

Hopefully this is what you are after.  I have tried both wired and wireless and get the same result

Connection status Connected
Connection type Fibre Broadband (VDSL)
Firmware version v0.21.03.07094-BT (Thu Jul 9 17:43:55 2020)
Serial number +091298+2034014368
Downstream sync speed 74.9 Mbps
Upstream sync speed 20.0 Mbps
Network uptime 4 days 6 Hours 44 Mins 57 Secs
System uptime 4 days 6 Hours 46 Mins 45 Secs
BT Wi-fi status Active

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 18

The link doesnt show up as it gives the message that it's a new BT number but based on address checker:

Address XXX on Exchange DEEPCUT is served by Cabinet 13
Featured Products Downstream Line Rate(Mbps) Upstream Line Rate (Mbps) Downstream HandbackThreshold(Mbps) WBC FTTC Availability Date WBC SOGEA Availability DateHigh Low High Low      VDSL Range A (Clean) 
VDSL Range B (Impacted) 
8074.8201969.2AvailableAvailable
8074201967AvailableAvailable
Featured Products Downstream Line Rate(Mbps) Upstream Line Rate (Mbps) Downstream Range (Mbps) Availability Date FTTP Install ProcessFTTP on Demand
33030--Available--
ADSL Products Downstream Line Rate (Mbps) Upstream Line Rate (Mbps) Downstream Range(Mbps) Availability DateWBC ADSL 2+WBC ADSL2+ Annex MADSL MaxWBC Fixed RateFixed Rate
Up to 11--6.5 to 15Available
Up to 11Up to 16.5 to 15Available
Up to 6--5 to 8Available
2----Available
2----Available
Other Offerings Availability DateVDSL MulticastADSL Multicast
Available
Available
Exchange Product Restrictions StatusFTTP Priority ExchangeWLR WithdrawalSOADSL Restriction
N
N
Y

The premise/line is associated with exchange which is NOT part of current fibre priority programme.

The premise/line is associated with exchange where WLR is not withdrawn.

The premise/line is associated with exchange where SOADSL service is restricted.

FTTP is not available.

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 18

btsppedtester is often unavailable but after numerous attempts it works again

can you post results from speedtest.net using Ethernet connection

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Message 7 of 18

Thanks ethernet speedtest results below

Download 33.0Mbps

Upload 4.18Mbps

Ping 13ms

Jitter 3.4ms

Loss 0%

0 Ratings
Message 8 of 18

Hoping someone can please help resolve this issue.  BT aren’t responding to comms on fault tracking or complaints and am hopeful that looking at similar posts someone can help fix the issue

0 Ratings
Message 9 of 18

Hi @danbarker1,

Thank you for posting and welcome to the Community. I'm sorry if you been experiencing a drop in speed during the evening. It does sound like it could be congestion on the network. If you send me your details, I'll be able to run a few checks on the network. 

I have sent you a private message with instructions on how to contact the team.  You can access your messages via the envelope icon at the top right of the screen, or click on this link, Private messages

Thanks,

Paddy

Message 10 of 18

Unfortunately BT phoned today to “refresh my hub” and change my WiFi channel but was frustratingly told they have looked at my line performance and it has been perfect since activation??  Even on a wired connection today outside of the peak impacted hours it could only manage 40Mbps so not sure how they have come to that conclusion... As I feared this is the start of what I suspect is a long drawn out process...

0 Ratings