Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
somniac
Aspiring Expert
Message 51 of 63

Re: BT capping peoples download speed

RogerB. Great and helpful post. Thanks.
I must take issue with one thing though:
"But am I getting what I paid for? If you READ all the print about the product first, instead of assuming you'll get the maximum speed possible .... then yes, you signed up to something you know something about. If not, you have yourself to blame."

BT have a responsibility not to mislead people into expecting a faster speed than they are going to get. They seem to do this time and time again.
"Your speed should be..xxmps" means your speed should be xxmps.Not might be. If they were more honest about expected speeds e.g. "Your speed should be BETWEEN xmps and xx mps, they might not get so much dissing on this board. (and elsewhere)
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Expert
Message 52 of 63

the speed your gonna get can only be confirmed after dlm has run for 10 days
before that its an estimate based on what other people with similar lines get
0 Ratings
Guru
Message 53 of 63

@somniac wrote:
RogerB. Great and helpful post. Thanks.
I must take issue with one thing though:
"But am I getting what I paid for? If you READ all the print about the product first, instead of assuming you'll get the maximum speed possible .... then yes, you signed up to something you know something about. If not, you have yourself to blame."

BT have a responsibility not to mislead people ~ snip.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I would agree, trouble is you don't know until you try it .... as there are so many variables that can and will affect performance. And some of those are outside BT's influence.
The pre-sales test is merely an estimate based on approximate line length, but can't foresee any technical implications like the resultant noise margins required for the line, as nothing has been imposed on the line to see.
An accurate test would need time, and lots of it.
And thus all they can do is to quote " up to" figures. 
I don't doubt it's a bone of contention that BT retail  have an issue with .... but the technologies won't allow an accurate forecast.
FTTP may prove different.
And why the FTR (fault threshold rate) exists .... as anything above that figure up to the maximum rate is acceptible.
0 Ratings
hifistud
Aspiring Expert
Message 54 of 63

Apparently, bot OR and BTW have settings they can apply to the cabinet/circuit, and each must agree to a lift and shift - I assume thet each has explored all its options. But he definitely called both, and had a ref number from one for the other...

Guru
Message 55 of 63

Openreach broadband engineers are trained in Infinity (within reason) ... as some are in other xDSL products.

But they would have access to Btw technical teams as all parts of BT do .... to sort faults that are troublesome or

difficult to solve.  BTw have total responsibility for network upkeep and maintenance intervention beyond the realms

of that available to those that have access to the KBD system. (knowlegebase database and tools)

It's merely an escalation process ....

0 Ratings
somniac
Aspiring Expert
Message 56 of 63

Bullitt:
"the speed your gonna get can only be confirmed after dlm has run for 10 days
before that its an estimate based on what other people with similar lines get"

I get that but I live in a block of flats that presumably is served by the same 700m of Ali cable that I am.
One has been quoted as "no more than 24mps" by Virgin
How come Virgin can give a more accurate estimate than BT??
0 Ratings
Bullitt_
Beginner
Message 57 of 63

that estimate is based on what you get obviously
0 Ratings
Guru
Message 58 of 63

@somniac wrote:
Bullitt:
"the speed your gonna get can only be confirmed after dlm has run for 10 days
before that its an estimate based on what other people with similar lines get"

I get that but I live in a block of flats that presumably is served by the same 700m of Ali cable that I am.
One has been quoted as "no more than 24mps" by Virgin
How come Virgin can give a more accurate estimate than BT??

The 24Mbps sounds like ADSL2+ service as it's up to 24Mbps I believe?

Whereas FTTC can achieving anything up to 80Mbps at the moment.

If this helped you please click the Star beside my name.

If this answered your question please click "Mark as Accepted Solution" below.
0 Ratings
somniac
Aspiring Expert
Message 59 of 63

Bullitt:
"that estimate is based on what you get obviously"

Haha! Could be. If only I got that much!
0 Ratings
sunaintstable
Aspiring Contributor
Message 60 of 63

Well.. as I accurately predicted.. my line speed has now dropped below 30mb..  to any prospective customers that are thinking about giving BT their money.. read all the threads here.. plus the numerous other threads about this problem on here and other websites about infinity.. ignore the script readers talking about noise, faults and how the speed has been capped to help give you a stable connection and all the other vague BS they come out with.. as numerous O.R engineers have all stated that I have an excellent line and then had the cap removed.. to the wide awake people that like me that are aware of this automatic capping system.. dont give up.. the O.R engineer visits cost BT money.. and when the day comes it costs them more money to send out the O.R engineers they will be forced to stop this fraudulent system they employ.. as profits are everything to them.. and as I said.. ignore the scrip readers that work for BT that will comment on this message.. they are being paid to do so!!   Re: BT capping peoples download speed [ Edited ]

Bad news Im afraid.. though not unexpected.. since i had the cap on my line lifted (2 weeks ago) my line speed has dropped 2 or 3 mb a week.. of coarse by next week when they drop it below 30 i will ring up and complain and they will say its just correcting faults.. or the multitude of other lame excuses.. the usual BS from the script readers in a vein attempt that you will just except it and put the phone down.. i dont think any of it is coincidence.. its a system set up to rip people off in my opinion. i think im at the point where i want to take this further as well.. im sick of this s##t!!

0 Ratings