Did you mean: 
Highlighted
beejar
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 12

BT changed max obtainable speeds, Infinity 2 15Mbit loss

Go to solution

Hi all,

I was after some help please as the web chat was useless.

I had Infinity 2 installed around April last year and was about the first customer in a small village to go live on the cabinet. Since then I have always had a link speed of between 67-70Mbit, albeit with disconnections that would occur every few days. (I didn't ever find the source of these as they were infrequent enough to not cause great concern). The SNR was approx. 6.0-6.8 dB during this time.

Before the activation, the BT Wholesale availability checker quoted a max available speed of somewhere around 65-70Mbit.

The issue as of early last month is that the link speed has plummeted to 50Mbit and the SNR increased accordingly to 12+ dB. Rebooting the HH5 hasn't helped, and the quiet line test is reasonably quiet (just a very faint hiss with no crackles or pops) 

The max obtainable rate for the line according to the HH5 stats page is a little over 70Mbit, yet is connected at 50Mbit.

The other cause for concern is that BT are now advertising the maximum available speed for my phone number is only 50Mbit, down from the 65-70Mbit advertised last year.

Could someone please help and shed some light as to where to turn next? Many thanks.

0 Ratings
11 REPLIES 11
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 12

Re: BT changed max obtainable speeds, Infinity 2 15Mbit loss

Go to solution
if you have a Homehub 5 can you also post the stats from 1-12 by logging onto the homehub management pages then troubleshooting > helpdesk. http://bthomehub.home/

The stats for the Home Hub 6 can be found on the Information page from http://192.168.1.254 then Advanced Settings -> Technical Log. 

Can you run this checker and post back a screen shot of the results. Make sure you delete your phone number before posting.

http://www.dslchecker.bt.com/adsl/adslchecker.welcome

Can you use this speed tester then carry out the further diagnostics and post back a screen shot of all the results including your IP profile for up and down. This test must be done with a wired connection.
http://speedtest.btwholesale.com/
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 3 of 12

Go to solution

@beejar wrote:

Hi all,

I

The other cause for concern is that BT are now advertising the maximum available speed for my phone number is only 50Mbit, down from the 65-70Mbit advertised last year.

That is quite normal as more people get connected to the cabinet, there is an increase in crosstalk, which reduces the connection speed.

The new advertised speeds reflect that change.

Your speed may also have been reduced by DLM due to line errors or too many restarts.

See https://community.plus.net/t5/Library/FTTC-DLM-What-it-is-How-it-works/ba-p/1322799

0 Ratings
beejar
Aspiring Contributor
Message 4 of 12

Go to solution
Thanks for your reply John, I'll get these posted tonight when I'm home from work.
0 Ratings
beejar
Aspiring Contributor
Message 5 of 12

Go to solution

Please find attached tests, there was another disconnection today that has resulted in a marginal speed increase and a slightly lower noise margin. Also noted the 55Mbps IP profile which is limiting the max connection speed.

Where do I go from here? Thanks for the assistance.

stats.PNG

availability_checker.PNG

bt_wholesale_test_results.PNG

0 Ratings
beejar
Aspiring Contributor
Message 6 of 12

Go to solution

Thanks Keith, if it were crosstalk, would I not have seen a slow decline in connection speed since last year rather than a sudden drop starting last month?

I'm wondering if it's a line fault caused somewhere but I don't know for sure. I've now posted the stats.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Message 7 of 12

Go to solution
One subscriber in the "wrong" place in the cable can cause a drop of 10-15meg.

That said, it doesn't look like crosstalk as your max attainable rate is still over 70meg.

Your speed has dropped as a result of an increased noise margin, possibly due to a line fault or some sort of interference which has cause DLM to take action.

See how it goes over the next few weeks.

Have you tried the quiet line test? Have you tried connecting to the test socket?
If you want to say thanks for a helpful answer,please click on the Ratings star on the left-hand side If the the reply answers your question then please mark as ’Mark as Accepted Solution’
0 Ratings
beejar
Aspiring Contributor
Message 8 of 12

Go to solution

Problem is, is that this has been going on for a month now with no improvement in sync speed or reduction in noise margin. Despite the increased noise margin I'm still getting dropped connections as frequently as before (sometimes daily or with a day or two gap in between)

I've tried the master socket direct (removed vDSL faceplate) and getting exactly the same connection and noise stats.

Tried the quiet line test again with corded phone on the master socket without the HH5 plugged in, and getting a continuous faint rain/hissing on the line but no crackles or pops. I've heard people say it should be totally silent, which it is not. Also worth noting that the line has had a history of repaired faults which have caused poor voice quality and ADSL dropouts before we moved to vDSL.

Still slightly concerned by the updated max downlink speeds posted by Openreach for my line. Does this mean I just have to eat the 15-20Mbit loss now as I am within their suggested speeds?

Posted new router connection stats that I have just got after reconnecting the HH5. Note the high maximum data rate that the HH5 thinks can be achieved.

Any other ideas please guys?

6. Data rate: 8495 / 52612

7. Maximum data rate: 11590 / 71117

8. Noise margin: 7.3 / 11.3

9. Line attenuation: 28.7 / 19.6

10. Signal attenuation: 29.0 / 19.4

11. Data sent/received: 57.6 MB / 371.4 MB

0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Distinguished Guru
Message 9 of 12

Go to solution

Your noise margin is indicating a fault, the quiet line test should be just that, quiet. No hiss, no crackle, no pops just silence.

Report a line fault. It sounds like a high resistance joint somewhere on the line.

0 Ratings
beejar
Aspiring Contributor
Message 10 of 12

Go to solution

Thanks I'll look into this

0 Ratings