cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 10

BT collaboration with FIBRUS network?

Go to solution

I believe BT and Virgin are incompatible in terms of sharing fibre network resources but does collaboration happen between BT and others?

I can't find any details of mainstream Superfast Fibre upgrade plans due anytime soon in my local area (County Down, Northern Ireland) but there are engineers all over installing for FIBRUS.  Residents have been receiving mail shots and all sorts of introductory offers  and "free" installation, etc, etc.  

Frankly, I'd rather stay with BT but the potential speed gain is very attractive.  Can I have both?

0 Ratings
9 REPLIES 9
Message 2 of 10

Re: BT collaboration with FIBRUS network?

Go to solution

FIBRUS looks to be a complete fibre network. Nothing to do with openreach or Virgin. So there would be no issue having both

https://www.ispreview.co.uk/index.php/2018/10/fibrus-plan-to-bring-ultrafast-fibre-optic-broadband-t...

(If I have helped you in any way please click the thumbs up. Thank You)
If I have solved your Issue please click the "Mark as accepted solution" button.
0 Ratings
Message 3 of 10

Go to solution

There's never been an issue anyway. As VM have their own closed system having another ISP as a back up has never been a problem.

In the same respect another ISP outside the Openreach network isn't a problem.

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 10

Go to solution

Apologies @pippincp and @Devon_Dave, I realise now I phrased my original question badly. When I asked "can I have both?" I didn't mean as separate suppliers. What I meant was is there collaboration between ISPs such that BT could continue to be my supplier but via the Fibrus network - I would then have the best of both worlds, FTTP within a BT bundle.

I hope I've explained myself a bit better this time!

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 10

Go to solution

As VM have their own closed system having another ISP as a back up has never been a problem.

I suspect the answer is implicit in @pippincp 's description of "closed systems" but I'd appreciate confirmation nonetheless.

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 10

Go to solution

BT only supply broadband via their own network maintained by Openreach.

Message 7 of 10

Go to solution

"Hear a lie tell a lie", but I heard in conversation that Openreach and Fibrus are working together in order to advance the rollout of FTTP in NI, with Openreach concentrating on the urban areas while Fibrus are focusing on rural areas. If this is so then why not work through each others networks in the same way that the likes Sky broadband or TalkTalk do when they use Openreach exchange cabinets and existing lines. Would simplify matters for the paying customer, such as myself, when trying to choose a broadband and TV package deal. By that I mean if I opt for Fibrus FTTP then I have to seek a TV package from another provider. BT only provide a broadband and TV deal combo and not separate. Not many options out there but frustration with what is.

0 Ratings
Message 8 of 10

Go to solution

Openreach contract many different companies in different areas to do the "civils" i.e. the laying of the cables for their own network. Fibrus may have been contracted for that.

Openreach only sell access to their network no-one else's. BTRetail only resell Openreach internet via BT Wholesale.

0 Ratings
Message 9 of 10

Go to solution

It makes economic sense that Fibrus, who are already laying cables along many roads in the province for their own network, can also add infrastructure for Openreach at the same time.  It also means fewer roadworks and less disruption for the public and for businesses.

What makes less sense to me is the secrecy in Openreach's operations.  They simply refuse to give any indication if what improvements are planned, where and when.  Their engineers are similarly unforthcoming, either because they're in the dark or sworn to secrecy.  I registered details on the Openreach Full Fibre update service well over a year ago and haven't heard one word.  Commercial sensitivities are understood but the lack of any forward information does not sit comfortably with ever longer residential broadband contracts.

0 Ratings
Message 10 of 10

Go to solution

I too have registered for Openreach updates on the expansion of FTTP in my area and have been checking their website for updates of the rollout.  I was very disappointed to find out that a few villages were missing out on a 1Gbps rollout running between Enniskillen and Newtownbutler.  One village in particular is only a few hundred meters off the main layout route.  It generates questions with regards to the thought process behind such decisions.  At this moment in time the projected timeline for FTTP in the area is Winter 2022.  Not looking to get ahead of the game, merely looking to get into the game!!!

0 Ratings