cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 53

BT dropping minimum guaranteed speed half way through contract.

I have been with BT for around 14 months now. I ordered BT infinity 2 when I first started with them. When I ordered the package originally, they stated a guaranteed speed of around 76mb I believe. I would have to find the original email but I remember it being in the 70+ range.

At first it was great, I was getting 80mb+ download speed for 2 months.

12 months later and I now get 57mb download speed. I checked the BT website and they have updated their minimum guarenteed speed, it now only says 57mb for my phone line.

Where do I stand with this? When I took out the package they gave a guarenteed minimum speed of 70+mb and half way through my contract they drop it to 57mb? Can they do this? 

Also it appears my connection speed is sitting exactly on the current minimum guarenteed speed of 57mb, I'm guessing it's not dropping any further because it would cause it to go below the guarenteed speed. Can anyone tell me if this could be caused by a dodgy line? 

On the BT website it says 66Mb-80Mb estimated speed for my phone number.

I just checked my emails and I could not find the guaranteed speed statement, only a part where it says "We estimate your download speed will be between 79Mb and 80Mb"

Is it worth me being on the higher infinity 2 package do you think? Or would it be better for me to drop down to infinity 1.

I did the BT wholesale speed test and it gave this:

Download speed achieved during the test was - 57.68 Mbps
 For your connection, the acceptable range of speed is 60 Mbps-59.92 Mbps .
 IP Profile for your line is - 59.92 Mbps

Upload speed achieved during the test was - 10.66Mbps

Upstream Rate IP profile on your line is - 20 Mbps

Thanks!

0 Ratings
52 REPLIES 52
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 53

Re: BT dropping minimum guaranteed speed half way through contract.

Hello and welcome.

Could you please input your telephone number into this site and post the results - https://www.btwholesale.com/includes/adsl/adsl.htm?s_cid=ws_furls_adslchecker

Please remove your phone number before posting.

Where is your router currently connected? In an extension? In the master socket? Or in the test socket(the main socket with the faceplate removed?

Was that speedtest carried out with a computer connected via Ethernet or was it done wirelessly?

Are you using a home hub 5? If so, could you post the router statistics which show the connection rate and attenuation for your connection.
If you want to say thanks for a helpful answer,please click on the Ratings star on the left-hand side If the the reply answers your question then please mark as ’Mark as Accepted Solution’
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 3 of 53

Hi, thanks for the reply,

1.png

The router is connected to the master socket, it's one of those newer pre-filtered ones. The house is also fairly new, so no old wiring anywhere.

The 57mb speed was from wireless, but I did try a direct ethernet and got 61mb. In the past my wireless was working with 80mb download speed so it doesn't really change much when I swap them around.

6. Data rate:19890 / 61908
7. Maximum data rate:24737 / 62830
8. Noise margin:5.9 / 6.7
9. Line attenuation:15.5 / 13.6
10. Signal attenuation:15.6 / 13.7

Thanks

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 53

OK great thanks for the quick reply.

Certainly seems like you should be getting better than you are.

Appreciate the comment about no old wiring, but I'll be honest, new builds are sometimes worse as the builders use sub optimal cabling to cut a few pence. I had an issue in an old house that was bought from new, broadband worked fine for about 18 months in an upstairs extension, then one day nothing. Connected to the test socket and got connected. For whatever reason, that wiring stopped working.

So, on that note, if possible, could you remove the front plate from the main socket that you're connected to and connect to the test socket please. You'll need to use a micro filter so hopefully you haven't thrown them out 🙂

Once you've done that, if you could repost the stats from the he router as you have done just now to see if it makes any difference in the connection speed. If it doesn't, then it's engineer time I reckon.
If you want to say thanks for a helpful answer,please click on the Ratings star on the left-hand side If the the reply answers your question then please mark as ’Mark as Accepted Solution’
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 5 of 53

Thank you for your help. One more thing, I have powerline adapters installed, well two of them. Could they cause the DLM thing to be dropping my line profile because the powerline adapters are not very stable?

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 53

Nah they won't affect the connection between the router and the DSLAM in the cabinet. The connection or sync rate is solely between those two devices.
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Guru
Message 7 of 53

Any estimated or guaranteed speeds from the BT Consumer checker or order confirmation, or the BT Wholesale checker, relate to connection speeds. These are as reported in line 6 of the Hub stats as data rates.

The download/upload throughput speeds you are achieving are a different thing. They can be affected by wireless or wired connection to the Hub, but the connection speeds between the Hub and the fibre street cabinet will remain fixed while the connection stays up.
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 8 of 53

@Webby wrote:
Nah they won't affect the connection between the router and the DSLAM in the cabinet. The connection or sync rate is solely between those two devices.

Actually homeplugs can generate a lot of noise and cause interference to the DSL signal.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Message 9 of 53

Interesting, not came across that one myself before but I guess, they could, if they were faulty. Like any electrical device.
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 10 of 53

Radio hams hate them because of all the spurious RFI they generate, some of which is in the VDSL frequency range.

0 Ratings