Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
giggsy1977
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 6

BT engineer appointments - 2 missed :-(

Go to solution

Hello all.  Thought I would share my experience with you and get it off my chest.  I have had BT Infinity 2 for 16 months now and have had ongoing speed issues for the last 6 months or so.  My line profile is apparently 54Mbps but I struggle to get above 40Mbps.  My upload is around 4.5Mbps.  I have had numerous telephone conversations with BT staff over the last 6 months, all of whom have proved friendly and helpful.  I have been informed that the problem lies with the exchange and BT cannot remedy the problem but that the engineers can.  I have made 2 appointments this month for an engineer to come and see me and both times the engineer has failed to arrive.  I have taken an afternoon off work on one of these occasions.  I called BT the first time an hour before the engineer was due to arrive and was informed I would be called back after checking on his/her location in respect of my property.  I received a call back 5 minutes prior to 6pm to be informed an engineer would not be attending.  I was unhappy with this situation but appreciate that a lack of resources can sometimes be a problem.  After speaking with a customer advisor after escalating my call I was credited £10 to my account.  Much less than an afternoon off work compensates but I was asked to make another appointment and feeling that wasn't much else could be done I accepted.  That appointment was for between 8am and 1pm today.  The engineer failed to turn up again today.  My contract with BT Infinity expires in April this year.  I fail to see why I would have a reason to renew it.  A call from either engineer or BT/Openreach would have been nice and basic courtesy/customer service.  My family also use BT.  They won't be renewing either.  Appalling service from BT/Openreach.  Not the way to keep existing customers.  I shall tell my woes to a number of other forums and hopefully others may not be unfortunate enough to sign up to BT and be messed around as I have been.  I am sure others have suffered the same issues as myself and if I sound like a moaning idiot I apologise as that really is not me.  I just cannot stand to pay money for a service which is not as it should be and then be treated in such an appalling manner.  I would politely request if any others have been in the same situation as myself that they post how they were dealt with, if any form of compensation was forthcoming and what the final resolution/current situation was/is. I have spoken with BT again today to ask for an email dialogue to be opened to so I can discuss the matter but have been informed this is not possible.  I also asked about a formal complaints procedure but was told there is not one which I find hard to believe.  Right, moan over (first ever moan on a forum I might add - apologies again. I know there are bigger fish to fry).

Kind regards,

Giggsy

0 Ratings
5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6

Re: BT engineer appointments - 2 missed :-(

Go to solution

Hi giggsy1977,

This doesn't sound good at all. I'll be happy to take a look at this for you. Drop me an email with the details. You'll get the 'contact us' form in the about me section of my profile.

Cheers

David

Community ModeratorDaveM
Did you get the help you needed?
Help others by clicking on ‘Mark as accepted solution’
Show your appreciation!
Click on the star next to a reply to say thanks
Help guide to using the community? Click below
Kudos”
Please avoid contacting us (moderators) via private message, for account/fault issues, unless invited to do so. The community will be able to help answer your question so we encourage you to create a new thread if you can’t find the answer from existing discussions. The moderators will be around to lend a hand should the community not have the answers. Thank You
0 Ratings
giggsy1977
Aspiring Contributor
Message 3 of 6

Go to solution
DavidM - thanks for the quick response and for looking into this for me. It would be great to get somewhere with this! I completed the 'contact us' form soon after your reply and shall await an update from you soon. Kind regards, Giggsy.
0 Ratings
giggsy1977
Aspiring Contributor
Message 4 of 6

Go to solution

Just a quick update on my other rants!

A third appointment was made and I was told I would be called when the time of the visit was confirmed.  I was out at the time and missed the call.  Turns out the Engineer was sat outside my house - but I can hold my hand up to this one as maybe I mis-understood what was happening with this visit.  Anyway, a fourth appointment was made and a chap called John from Openreach arrived.  Nice friendly chap who knew his stuff and went through everything with me.  He performed a number of tests and the speed went up 10Mbps to 50Mbps (download speed) and the upload went from 4.5Mbps to 7Mbps although he did say this may be temporary and there wasn't much more speed to be gotten from my line.  I was happy with this but speeds have since dropped to where they were (actually upload is a little better thank before).  DavidM, one of the moderators on here was personally handling my case and he was helpful and responsive with communications back and forth throughout the issue so thanks to him.  The upshot however is that I will be leaving BT next month.  I asked for a good deal to retain my custom with BT but the two offers were not what I was hoping for in terms of monthly cost and indeed some of the new BT offers are better than those I was offered.  Having looked through PC Advisor magazine and at other offers from other ISP's I can save myself a considerable sum (some ISP's are offering £8/month for 6 months or thereabouts which BT were a country mile away from) so I shall take one of those.

In summary I would not recommend BT to friends as the initial service on the phone at the outset last year and the poor offer made to retain my custom were far below what I expect of the most popular provider in the UK.  It's a shame as I shall have to amend all my email addresses for various sites but in the interest of saving money I feel it is worth the (minor) hassle this entails.  Businesses always seem to forget about existing customers and provide enticing offers to new ones.  I understand this but loyalty in this day and age is important and BT haven't cracked that yet.  To be honest I very much doubt my paltry contribution to the BT coffers being taken away will bother a huge company with lots of happier customers than I.

Anyway, if you've managed to get this far then well done for not nodding off!

Regards,

Giggsy

0 Ratings
uktemplar
Message 5 of 6

Go to solution

I dont blame you, I got bt installed Jan 20th this year it has taken from then till 31 Mar to get my phone working nevermind broadband or TV,

I am fighting to get my contract cancelled

0 Ratings
Highlighted
giggsy1977
Aspiring Contributor
Message 6 of 6

Go to solution

uktemplar - I think a lot of the issues stem from Openreach as opposed to BT with regard to sorting out the technical side of things. Ultimately it doesn't matter who your ISP is (unless it's Virgin for example) they all use BT network equipment. My reasons for leaving are the poor customer service issues over the phone and the consequent lack of something being done until I came on here. At this point I was impressed with the care and dedication to resolve my issue. The final straw though was the poor offer I felt was my right to request following the issues. Customer service is important to me and this forum aside, BT have a long way to go, hence their poor showing in recent published surveys. I hope you get your issue sorted uktemplar. That's a long time to be without a phone! Hope you get the outcome you desire.

Regards,

Giggsy

0 Ratings