cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
nafem
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 5

BT forcing everyone to use SmartHub

I've had Ultrafast for the last few months and generally the network is very stable and fast. The problems I have experienced ar all due to the instability of the supplied SmartHub.

Every week I have to perform a factory reset on the SmartHub to enable my Cast devices to be discoverable on the network. The Wi-Fi performance is very poor, it does not reach all rooms in  my flat. 

My own router managed all this fine but because there is no bridge mode on the SmartHub and  BT refuse to supply a G.Fast modem, what could be a great service is let down by the SmartHub.

Is there any way around thihs or are we stuck with this poor performance.

0 Ratings
4 REPLIES 4
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 5

Re: BT forcing everyone to use SmartHub

you are not forced to use the smart hub.  you can use any router/modem on your connection which is approved by openreach and that is your choice and of course at your cost

with the HH6 did you split the wifi networks and then select channels manually?  did you try changing wireless mode?

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
nafem
Aspiring Contributor
Message 3 of 5

You have highlighted a good point. BT have not authorised or made available any modems to use. And as far as I can tell there are no approved routers either. Do you know of any?

I could split the networks but that is not really a solution given that a 2.4ghz network will not provide the throughput.
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 5

it is not BT Retail that authorise the router/modem but openreach - using google https://uno.help/knowledge-base/article/openreach-approved-vdsl-modems

many devices don't like the networks combined so splitting them often helps your devices with the wireless conenction - you can choose which network to connect to assuming device has 5ghz capability

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
nafem
Aspiring Contributor
Message 5 of 5

I have done a search for G.Fast Openreach approved devices and have not found anything at all. But they must have approved devices because some earlier installations of G.Fast were supplied a standalone modem rather than a combined Smart hub.

And BT disable the option to use the SmartHub in modem only or bridge mode. And BT have said they can't supply a modem either.
0 Ratings