cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
luke_y2k
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 14

BT home Hub 5 swapped for asus-dsl-ac68u - requesting optimum settings for Infinity 2 for router

Hello

I know there are many users on here who have have swapped out their BT supplied dsl router for something better.

There are posts on here with people who have swapped the home hub 5 for an asus dsl ac68u router.

I was wondering if those who have done so and have stable download and upload speeds could possible share their settings with me.

My download speed dropped for over 40mb to 29/30mb and upload had halfed since swapping over , i know the modem isnt the greatest but i have seen people posting speeds much higher than this and i require the settings to try and improve my speeds.

Please can you guys help me out

Thank you

Luke.

0 Ratings
13 REPLIES 13
luke_y2k
Aspiring Contributor
Message 2 of 14

Re: BT home Hub 5 swapped for asus-dsl-ac68u - requesting optimum settings for Infinity 2 for router

i was provided the below from BT's Chat......

UK ADSL Settings Router
Overview
Some or all of these settings may be required to connect to the BT Broadband service:
* Connection type: PPPoA (PPPoATM)
* VCI = 38, VPI = 0
* Encapsulation: VCMUX
* Modulation: G.DMT
* RFC: 2364
* Network type: WAN (Not LAN)
* Authentication: CHAP
* MTU: Auto/Normal 1458 – 1500 (Lower numbers can help if data corruption occurs default is 1500)
* QOS: UBR (Unlikely to be CBR/VBR)
The username should be of the format firstname.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 3 of 14

Re: BT home Hub 5 swapped for asus-dsl-ac68u - requesting optimum settings for Infinity 2 for router

Those are the settings for ADSL not Infinity. Any settings you have are correct or the device wouldn't work at all.

0 Ratings
luke_y2k
Aspiring Contributor
Message 4 of 14

my bt home hub 5 was showing download speeds at nearly 50 down load , with my new router it is alot slower , this would indicate the settings are not configured correctly.

Other users are reporting much higher speeds therefore if i could obtain this data along with their settings i can mimick these and test my router out.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 5 of 14

The home hub and the ASUS will have different chipsets, you may have also invoked the wrath of DLM if you have been making multiple connection/disconnections. As I pointed out, the speed other users are getting is totally irrelevant to your line.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 14

Is there a setting to enable G.Inp anywhere? If there is enable it, that's the only setting I can think of which might not be set correctly.

0 Ratings
XRaySpeX
Recognised Expert
Message 7 of 14

Please post your full Router Stats. Full router stats are key to any speed & connection issues.

luke_y2k
Aspiring Contributor
Message 8 of 14

I will post the stats when i get home.

I was thinking it could be the DLM  , but as i said i wanted to check my settings against other users.

I am located not that far from the exchange and had previously been getting excellent download and reasonable upload speeds.

I have seen the following posts

TimCurtis had provided a screen shot but not the speeds.

Paul is getting decent decent Down/up stream speeds.

TimMoss had posted settings for the router but they are on Plus.Net ( id imagine there isnt going to be much difference with BT )

This is why i kind of want to compare peoples settings and speeds , I need to confirm the router isn’t faulty before my time runs out to return it.

Did initially have the DSL-AC88U but it died on me , that thing was running faster than the home hub and wifi coverage was immense before the 5ghz decided it would stop working

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 9 of 14

You cannot compare speeds with other users!!!!

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 10 of 14

distance from the exchange is immaterial for fibre connection it is distance from street cabinet

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings